New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 157
Thanks everyone...

They should arrive to today.  I will A/B them DAC'd and amped against my over ear HF (AKG K 702s) and un-amped on my iPad and let you know.  I am surprised that the poll is 16 to 4 for the Westone 4Rs over the Shure SE535s.  I would have guessed that it would have been closer.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 157
Well I gave them a listen....

I tried the foam tips that came installed, the silicone triple seals, the large black olives and the large silicone olives. I liked the large silicone olives best because the seal but don't penetrate too deep and sounded best to me. What do you have the best luck with?

I auditioned them using my iMac running decibel through my Grace Design m903 playing some Mapleshade jazz recordings. I A/Bd them with my full sized AKG K702s.

Impressions:

- A taught, precise, detailed sound that portrays a musical and interesting sound stage
- They are more efficient than the AKGs. The amp was set on 65% for the Westones and 80% for AKGs.
- They benefited from the cross-feed circuit

While they are very good, the full sized open designed AKGs sounded much better (airier) and bass resonances seemed more pronounced to my ears. Subtle aspects like legato fingerings or an alto sax exciting the piano strings where more real to me. Perhaps I am not used to IEMs or it's just physics? I also tried a 10 Hz to 200 Hz test tone and found that the Westones got subtly, but perceptibly louder from 70 Hz to 200 Hz where the AKGs did not get louder above 40 Hz.

I am very pleased with them. Perhaps this was not a fair comparison?

:)

Bob

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 157
yh, its a bit unfair to compare something that is so little to something so big.
there is a price for packing it into a small enclosure.

i dont think any iem can get close to the airiness of the 702s.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 157
Quote:
I have both, firstly, changing out stock cables on both IEMs does wonders sonically.

Although I favour the W4 over the my SE535Ltd, but in your circumstances, the 535 would probably be a better choice used in concert with just iDevices, as I feel the W4 sounds much better amped...........

Which cables do you use and please describe the differences. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 157
Quote:
Thanks...
I will use these much more while traveling vs. home listening. For that, I use my over ear headphones and a DAC/HF amp (see my signature). I have been reading about the Audeo PFE 232 as well.

Not to dissuade any pfe232 buyers,  but be glad you didn't get them.  They are far from neutral.  I will be exchanging mine also, because they don't mesh well with an ipod.  It further exaggerates the treble in a sibilant way with drum cymbals.  They are V shaped overall.  They definitely have good treble as it extends well into the upper regions better than most, but the mids are lacking compared to a neutral headphone, and they are on the bassier side, although not really a basshead headphone either.  I'd call them bassy enough for a light bass-head or a lot of bass for a non-bass-head, but still within limits.  :p

Anyhow, I am now looking at exactly those two models, westone 4r and shure 535.  Can I ask if you think the 4r is airy at all?  I know they won't compare to the akg probably, but do they still portray room ambiance and things with good presence and detail?

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 157
Have not heard any sibilance with the PFE 232 and having had UM2 for six years certainly know what sibilance is all about 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 157
Have not heard any sibilance with the PFE 232 and having had UM2 for six years certainly know what sibilance is all about :wink:

Nor have I had any sibilance with my PFE232's. With the grey filters, they have a very nice frequency balance, with the mid's brought forward when compared to the green and black filters. Please keep in mind that Audeo says that the filters are not simply frequency-shaping devices, but rather designed to better match the differing HRTF's of different individual ears. It is quite likely that some users will find that none of the 3 filters will adequately match their individual HRTF's.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 157
Have not heard any sibilance with the PFE 232 and having had UM2 for six years certainly know what sibilance is all about :wink:
Are you using a new iPod touch? It makes a huge difference... Also you must agree that they are still fairly V shaped sound wise??

If you do have any iPod, try listening to some of these songs and tell me how the cymbals sound to you...

Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy
Christopher Cross - Never Be The Same
Michael Jackson -Billie Jean

I can list more... If they don't sound cymbal-sibilant try gently inserting the tips but not plugging them all the way. I'm just curious if my ears don't allow a proper fit... I do insert them all the way or further, but too far and it muffles everything. Perhaps it is different ear acoustics, but please test the songs and let me know. If you don't have them, groovesgark.com is better quality than youtube...

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #28 of 157
Quote:
May I ask what specifically you like more about the w4?

I find that W4 has a better overall balance and slightly more resolution. SE535 has too much of a mid presence on some songs even though sometimes I would prefer this type of mid presence on other songs. Sometimes when im listening with W4, I feel like instruments sometimes can overpower vocals slightly, but most of the time it gets it perfectly. I also find that W4 shows the timbre of the instruments more accurately than the SE535.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 157
Quote:
I find that W4 has a better overall balance and slightly more resolution. SE535 has too much of a mid presence on some songs even though sometimes I would prefer this type of mid presence on other songs. Sometimes when im listening with W4, I feel like instruments sometimes can overpower vocals slightly, but most of the time it gets it perfectly. I also find that W4 shows the timbre of the instruments more accurately than the SE535.

Even though it is more balanced, would you say the w4 sounds slightly V shaped, or do any mids sound recessed at all?  Is that why some vocals are drowned by instruments, or is it something else altogether?  I'm just coming from V shaped, and want more flat in general...

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 157
Quote:
Even though it is more balanced, would you say the w4 sounds slightly V shaped, or do any mids sound recessed at all?  Is that why some vocals are drowned by instruments, or is it something else altogether?  I'm just coming from V shaped, and want more flat in general...

W4 is not recessed, there is only a slight mid bass hump and that's pretty much it. I agree the choice btw the Shure 535 and Westone 4 can be a difficult one. I went with the Westone and my friend went with the Shure. If you do go with the Westone, grab some of their new star tips and/or wide bore tips to allow the treble to come through much more clearly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back