New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Apr 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #106 of 157
For dance, ambient and electronica, which of the 4R and the 535 suits best? And which isolate best?

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #107 of 157
Personally, unamped I would go for the Westone UM3X. Just saying. I love the 4Rs but they're way better amped, I'm using a JDS C5 amping a colorfly C3. C3 is next for the upgrade.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #109 of 157
I have the um2 and I think they sound fantastic.. I've read on here that someone has said not to waste your money going from the um2 to the um3 cause the um2 sound better for the money..I haven't heard the um3 but like I said the um2 sound fantastic.. I also have the 535 clears and I find myself reaching for the um2 more..personal opion though.
Personally, unamped I would go for the Westone UM3X. Just saying. I love the 4Rs but they're way better amped, I'm using a JDS C5 amping a colorfly C3. C3 is next for the upgrade.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #110 of 157
Just go buy the er4s :wink: hahaha.  The 4r was pretty nice amped though.  but still had too much mid bass for my liking.  I've fallen in love with the pfe112 again though.  It's so nice.  but most people consider these two iems (er4s pfe112) to be bass light.  I find them close to studio accurate. :)

May 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #112 of 157
I had the Earsonics SM3 V2 before and currently own the Westone 4r's. The Westone's were definitely brighter than the SM3's and sounded very similar to the Sennheiser hd598's or the Audio-technica ESW9A's with less bass in terms of sound quality; very analytical. The SM3's however, were very smooth and thick sounding with the detail still there, but less apparent. How are the Shure SE535's in comparison to these IEMS?
confused_face_2.gif

May 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #113 of 157
Quote:
I had the Earsonics SM3 V2 before and currently own the Westone 4r's. The Westone's were definitely brighter than the SM3's and sounded very similar to the Sennheiser hd598's or the Audio-technica ESW9A's with less bass in terms of sound quality; very analytical. The SM3's however, were very smooth and thick sounding with the detail still there, but less apparent. How are the Shure SE535's in comparison to these IEMS?
confused_face_2.gif

the shures mids imo are too forward and there is little space between the mids and highs. this makes the 535 soundstage to sound narrow and and congested. 535 highs roll off and its very annoying. imo only the female vocal have a lush sound vs the male not being as lush as female.

May 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #115 of 157
I also found that the build quality was WAYYY better on the Westone 4r's than the Shure and Earsonics IEMs, the nozzle in particular.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #116 of 157
After reading through this whole thread, sadly, I'm still really caught up on which IEM to go for.
I think a real deal-breaker for me would be which IEM is more comfortable to wear for hours on end, I find myself getting very irritated when I don't have a good seal, so on that topic, which of the two is superior on this front?

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #117 of 157
After reading this entire thread and looking at the poll, I think it is pretty clear that more people prefer the WR4.  I am not understanding why this is a difficult choice.  Comfort is a personal thing, because everyone's ears are different.  I can say that the WR4s feel great and I have no problem with a seal, but you may find that is not the case with your ears.  Both have a lot of different tips in which you can see which feels more comfortable for you.  Tips are another thing that everyone is all over the place with their preference.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #118 of 157
Quote:
After reading through this whole thread, sadly, I'm still really caught up on which IEM to go for.
I think a real deal-breaker for me would be which IEM is more comfortable to wear for hours on end, I find myself getting very irritated when I don't have a good seal, so on that topic, which of the two is superior on this front?

If comfort is a concern, the w4r has very few if any real complaints/reviews about being uncomfortable.  The 535 on the other hand has a reasonable amount of complaints/reviews about them being a bit large and/or uncomfortable.

To elaborate on that a bit.  The 535 is a tiny bit larger and less smoothly rounded on the back edge.  This causes it to contact some ears and feel like it's poking.  They are also simply a bit (very small amount) larger and a decent amount heavier than the 4r.  The cable is also heavier.  All these things contribute to the possibility of you finding them more uncomfortable.  Some people have no issues at all.  However, the 4r is extremely light, more smooth on the back of the housing, has a lighter cable and doesn't really contact the edge of the ear or weight it down.  So for comfort, there is a much higher chance you'll find the r4 comfortable.  I'd say out of the box the 535 sounds more engaging while the 4r sounds a bit more balanced overall.  But both aren't perfect.  With EQ they both sound better.

If you have large ears, the size may not matter, but the weight might still.  If you're worried about comfort, get the 4r.  If you're worried about anything else, get the 4r.  :wink: haha  But really, they're both great.  I think most people go with the 4r because they don't lack as much treble.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #119 of 157
Quote:

If comfort is a concern, the w4r has very few if any real complaints/reviews about being uncomfortable.  The 535 on the other hand has a reasonable amount of complaints/reviews about them being a bit large and/or uncomfortable.

To elaborate on that a bit.  The 535 is a tiny bit larger and less smoothly rounded on the back edge.  This causes it to contact some ears and feel like it's poking.  They are also simply a bit (very small amount) larger and a decent amount heavier than the 4r.  The cable is also heavier.  All these things contribute to the possibility of you finding them more uncomfortable.  Some people have no issues at all.  However, the 4r is extremely light, more smooth on the back of the housing, has a lighter cable and doesn't really contact the edge of the ear or weight it down.  So for comfort, there is a much higher chance you'll find the r4 comfortable.  I'd say out of the box the 535 sounds more engaging while the 4r sounds a bit more balanced overall.  But both aren't perfect.  With EQ they both sound better.

If you have large ears, the size may not matter, but the weight might still.  If you're worried about comfort, get the 4r.  If you're worried about anything else, get the 4r.  :wink: haha  But really, they're both great.  I think most people go with the 4r because they don't lack as much treble.

Thank you very much for your help 
etysmile.gif
, I think I'll go for the 4R then.
One last thing, what do people mean by saying they find the 4R boring? 

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #120 of 157
Thank you very much for your help :etysmile: , I think I'll go for the 4R then.
One last thing, what do people mean by saying they find the 4R boring? 
The treble isn't as recessed, but it's a bit soft in general and the whole sound is sort of balanced and some people prefer more unbalanced sound. The one big thing with the 4r (they all have at least one big thing) is that there is a little extra mid bass that makes them sound warm and less detailed than they could be. However, a really simple eq fixes this, and some people actually like it. It's harder to recover the 535 treble with eq. The 4r sound excellent with any eq, because they are very capable to begin with. I'm about to receive a modded 4r i can't wait to hear, that balances them further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back