NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #631 of 3,483
I am wondering why the new model has a obtuse angle design for the connector...To me a right angle is better for both around ear and straight fit.
When I auditioned the Atlas, the fit was excellent. It fits snugly in the ear and if the connector was right-angled, I believe it would press uncomfortably against the anterior notch of the pinnae.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #632 of 3,483
When I auditioned the Atlas, the fit was excellent. It fits snugly in the ear and if the connector was right-angled, I believe it would press uncomfortably against the anterior notch of the pinnae.
I know right, but my cable has memory wire on connector, which is designed for around ear fit...I will try with my current when I receive them, probably I need to buy a new custom cable.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #633 of 3,483
Size comparo. The Atlas is smaller than it looks.

IMG_5180.jpg

photo credit, http://www.mixwave.co.jp/c_audio.html

Cheers,

Ken

Very nice shot. Looking at the comparative size of the two new models, I'm guessing that the Atlas could potentially fit a little more securely than the Comet when worn down, as the extra width of the body "barrel" sound sit a little more securely in the base of the ear?

I've been using custom silicone tips (from another firm with the initials CA) and find they give the Comets by far the best combination of seal and overall sound. When you guys launch yours, will you be tailoring them to individual models or ranges, or are they gong to be more universal? If that's stroll to be decided then please ignore the above, but was just curious!

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #635 of 3,483
I am wondering why the new model has a obtuse angle design for the connector...To me a right angle is better for both around ear and straight fit.

The Comet and Atlas are designed to be worn so the cable does not go around the back of your ear so the cable will be straight down. Not that you cant turn them so you can wear they around the back of your ear the cable does not have memory wire.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 27, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #639 of 3,483
I know right, but my cable has memory wire on connector, which is designed for around ear fit...I will try with my current when I receive them, probably I need to buy a new custom cable.
The new silver cable included with the Atlas has no memory wire and flows smoothly over the ear. It is a very high-quality cable.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #640 of 3,483
Further impressions:

I feel like the Comets are very well tuned for pop and rock. The sound is very balanced but there's a slight v-shape which makes it very suited for these genres. Think Ariana Grande music. Vocals are ever so slightly behind. For music like folk, I prefer the ER4 and GR07BE for more sub-bass/bass heavy alt rock. The Comets would be great gifts to close friends and family imo because it handles a variety of genre very well. It's very forgiving and versatile.

On a side note, should I buy two IEMs or save up for a big one? I listened to the Empire Ears Bravado and I was blown away by how clean the music was. But for the same price, I could get a pair of Orions and something else..

If it were me I would say go with one more expensive iem if your budget allows for it. I just got my Bravado Monday and I will not be disappointed in keeping both that and the Comet. The Bravado is hands down my favorite iem at the moment, but there is something about the Comet that just “like.” I don’t know if it’s the unique housing, style, or unexpectedly great sound but I’m going I keep them alongside the Bravado.

If you’re wanting to stay in the Campfire family I would also recommend checking out the Polaris, to me it is a fantastic iem as well. It’s also different enough sounding from the Comet that having both wouldn’t be bad.

This is just my 2 cents, I’m sure others might have good options or opinions on the matter.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #641 of 3,483
The temptation to sell my Andro and Vega and purchase the Atlas is real. Ugh.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #642 of 3,483
The temptation to sell my Andro and Vega and purchase the Atlas is real. Ugh.

Keep the Andro, sell the Vega and get the Atlas :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #645 of 3,483
Keep the Andro, sell the Vega and get the Atlas :)
I’m crunching the numbers to make this a possibility... my wife just saw the sticker price of the Atlas :cold_sweat: :face_palm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back