New Beyer DT1350
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,326 of 4,010
Quote:
I think he simply gets overexcited when he runs across a new headphone that he likes.  When he reviewed the 1350s, he couldn't have praised them more highly.  Then, he gets excited about the Amperiors and says that they handily best the 1350s, etc.  I think most of us find this a bit inconsistent, but like a lot of us, he's just really amped about hearing a headphone that he enjoys. 

This is probably the closest to the truth, and the fact that I can only compare things to things that are available at the time. The Amprior wasn't around to comapare to the DT1350 when I wrote the review. There's a tendency for folks to think reviewers are supposed to be robotically perfect in their views, and judge their writings in that light. But we're just humans writing poetry about tractors. There's bound to be logical inconsistencies if you dig around enough.

Take it all with a grain of salt.  I'm just a dude (with lots of experience maybe) that gets paid to write down my opinions. But they're just one dudes opinions.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,327 of 4,010
I think we all know that and we do appreciate and like your reviews a lot. I don't edit all my posts for the cordial factor so sometimes maybe things come out wrong. I liked the Amps from what I heard I just tend to get worked up about how things can be written. As I have said before being fanboys with headphones is something we all do I'm pretty much doing it here. :)

I however would take the 18 ohm factor very seriously as I think these DTs do require a nice amp and that would include from home. Being 80 ohm headphones could factor into somebody's purchase very much. However, I still cannot get over the looks of those things. THOSE things. This is still a DT1350 thread LOL. All in good fun.

Max SPL on those is also 9dB lower and this is important for some of use who are looking for headroom and pushing these things to the max at times.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2,328 of 4,010
Tyll was right in every way on this one. The 1350 is a very good headphone that is very addicting in an analytical way. In a vacuum they seem close to perfection, but next to the Amperior, they are simply outclassed. Yes, I've changed my mind after more comparison. Don't get me wrong, some may prefer the 1350s to the Amperiors and be completely legitimate, but the timbre on the instruments, the texture in the bass, the natural and polished sound of the Senns just sounds more true than the 1350s. The 1350s are amazing on ear closed phones, and I will always have good things to say about them. In fact, they render the human voice better than the Senns and any other on ear closed phone. Its almost uncanny at times. Overall, however, Sennheiser simply raised the bar. And I'm anything but a Sennheiser shill. I never got into the 650. Liked the 600 but gave it away because it was not engaging enough. Although I think the 800 is a solid performer, I easily prefer the K-1000 to it. But with the Amperior they simply nailed it for this type of headphone.

Regarding an earlier question about the HD25, the Amperior is better than the HD25s that I remember. Its been awhile since listening to the 25s, so don't trust my comparison. But the "stored energy" explanation regarding the Amperior at Innerfidelity is something that should be read and taken seriously. The idea that Sennheiser made aluminum cups for cosmetic reasons is a wrong conclusion IMHO just because a rep said they were going for the same sound. I believe the goal was trying to improve the sound without altering the HD25 signature. Considering the comments that I've read, I don't think people fully appreciate how dramatic the effect can be going from plastic to aluminum on closed headphones, not to mention the shape change and position of the damping material. It looks like engineering to me. The difference is all measured over at Innerfidelity between the 25 and Amperior, so its not just perception.

Sorry to lay it in such a direct way, but my 1350s are going back today. YMMV

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,329 of 4,010
Quote:
Tyll was right in every way on this one. The 1350 is a very good headphone that is very addicting in an analytical way. In a vacuum they seem close to perfection, but next to the Amperior, they are simply outclassed. Yes, I've changed my mind after more comparison. Don't get me wrong, some may prefer the 1350s to the Amperiors and be completely legitimate, but the timbre on the instruments, the texture in the bass, the natural and polished sound of the Senns just sounds more true than the 1350s. The 1350s are amazing on ear closed phones, and I will always have good things to say about them. In fact, they render the human voice better than the Senns and any other on ear closed phone. Its almost uncanny at times. Overall, however, Sennheiser simply raised the bar. And I'm anything but a Sennheiser shill. I never got into the 650. Liked the 600 but gave it away because it was not engaging enough. Although I think the 800 is a solid performer, I easily prefer the K-1000 to it. But with the Amperior they simply nailed it for this type of headphone.

Regarding an earlier question about the HD25, the Amperior is better than the HD25s that I remember. Its been awhile since listening to the 25s, so don't trust my comparison. But the "stored energy" explanation regarding the Amperior at Innerfidelity is something that should be read and taken seriously. The idea that Sennheiser made aluminum cups for cosmetic reasons is a wrong conclusion IMHO just because a rep said they were going for the same sound. I believe the goal was trying to improve the sound without altering the HD25 signature. Considering the comments that I've read, I don't think people fully appreciate how dramatic the effect can be going from plastic to aluminum on closed headphones, not to mention the shape change and position of the damping material. It looks like engineering to me. The difference is all measured over at Innerfidelity between the 25 and Amperior, so its not just perception.

Sorry to lay it in such a direct way, but my 1350s are going back today. YMMV

Cool.  Maybe I'll check them out one day when they aren't $350 and sold exclusively through Apple.

Then again, maybe I won't :p

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,330 of 4,010
Quote:

This is probably the closest to the truth, and the fact that I can only compare things to things that are available at the time. The Amprior wasn't around to comapare to the DT1350 when I wrote the review. There's a tendency for folks to think reviewers are supposed to be robotically perfect in their views, and judge their writings in that light. But we're just humans writing poetry about tractors. There's bound to be logical inconsistencies if you dig around enough.

Take it all with a grain of salt.  I'm just a dude (with lots of experience maybe) that gets paid to write down my opinions. But they're just one dudes opinions.

Tyll, I would never hold you to the standard of having to be perfect. I mean, come on, the fact that you don't like Grados pretty much shows you aren't even CLOSE to perfect!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,331 of 4,010
Wow rob, thanks for the comparison! Timbre is very important to me and you nailed it on the head when it comes to the DT1350 in terms of overall timbre, detail, and I do find it uncanny how natural the human voice sounds as well. I only wish the rest of the instruments sounded as natural.

Can you comment on the isolation of the Amperior vs. DT1350 vs. what you remember of the HD25? I wonder how the Amperiors would sound with pleather pads (if it helps isolation further). I was considering repurchasing the HD25 but if there is indeed a substantial enough difference I'm gonna have to consider the Amperiors.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,333 of 4,010
roma101,

They all seem to isolate well or as well as these types do. You still hear outside noise, and they all leave me wanting more isolation. I prefer IEMs (Etymotic) for trains or noisy environments. The pads on the Amperiors did seem to let more sound through which means the 25s most likely have an edge. I think you have it right. The porous pads on the Amperiors seem to be the culprit, so maybe there is a work around (could affect the sound), but I'd say they still isolate relatively well with a good seal.

I hope you get a chance to compare the two before making the jump to the Amperiors, like a 30 day return thing. Only you can decide if its worth the $150 extra. That is a big jump percentage-wise but not huge at all on the audiophile scale
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,334 of 4,010
Thank you for the response. Knowing myself, I will probably have both the HD25 and Amperior at some point in the future (second-hand, I'd rather not buy new if I can help it haha) to compare. Once my curiosity gets ahold there's not much I can do. :wink:

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,335 of 4,010
I considered both but especially the Amperior is too expensive for what it does well. For me it's a refined HD25 but if that's all the improvement you get even PX200-II is more value for money. I recently bought a second PX200-II for personal use and for what it does well I can't fault it at all. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2,336 of 4,010
The PX200 wasn't anything special when I tried it... But looking from graphs, the second version looks pretty good. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,338 of 4,010
Argh, this thread is so frustrating!  I was all set to buy the HD-25s, but found this thread saying how awesome the DT 1350s were.  So, I was set on buying them (and was just about to pull the trigger), until I read the last few posts!  

// end rant

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone for the reviews and comments.  Helps to keep the rest of us informed.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,339 of 4,010
Quote:
Argh, this thread is so frustrating!  I was all set to buy the HD-25s, but found this thread saying how awesome the DT 1350s were.  So, I was set on buying them (and was just about to pull the trigger), until I read the last few posts!  

// end rant

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone for the reviews and comments.  Helps to keep the rest of us informed.

LOL! I've said before that I won't be getting a higher end pair for at least a month or so, and I was pretty sure that it would be the DT 1350's. Then Roma101 got me thinking that I should at least try out the M80's (or M100's). And, I should probably try out the HD-25's as well etc etc.

So for now, I will continue eating my popcorn and reading this thread, all the while happily listening to The Smiths, The The, The Tragically Hip and The White Stripes and "The whatever" on my modded KSC75's, wondering "how can those phones top my KSC75's?" LOL!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back