New Beyer DT1350
Aug 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,341 of 4,010
Has anyone here re-cabled a pair of these? I got mine today and I haven't had time to listen yet 
mad.gif
 but I couldn't help noticing the cable is pretty thin. I'm not concerned with an improved sound quality but more the durability. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,342 of 4,010
"It looks like engineering to me. The difference is all measured over at Innerfidelity between the 25 and Amperior, so its not just perception."

I'm sorry but as you are not an engineer of headphones these posts do get tiring. I don't know how to take them. Of course it's perception. You are acting like scribbles on paper can somehow be directly realized in our ears with one glance. Especially, when we have had an uproar over if Tyll's pair was defective or close in that regard. It's pretty obvious from his measurements that either his headphones are mismatched or the readings are not perfect for whatever reason. I have tested my left and right channels as much as anyone on here and I don't hear anywhere near a 2dB difference in sound between mine. In fact, I hear almost none at all with mono recordings.

Similar to: but the timbre on the instruments, the texture in the bass, the natural and polished sound of the Senns just sounds more true than the 1350s.

This is not an affront in any way. I just see this for every great headphone ever on Head-fi. It makes me cringe slightly. On what music with what setup? It's too hard to say this about anything. I like the sound of my car better than headphones but if I were to say the texture of the bass is better I don't think anybody knows what the heck I am talking about. What kinds of textures? I happen to feel the texture of the bass is tight and defined quite well on the DTs especially in sub regions where it does remind me of a mini sub. It simply grabs me like few headphones do but then again this could be because of the amp and headroom where as portable you might not hear it as much.

Being a true basshead who sends over 1k watts to an IDMAX I yearn for that feeling in headphones and rarely find it in this range. The Amperior certainly does not have it.

What about the midbass hump in the Amperiors? Does that factor into the texture of the bass? What about the low end bass in bass guitars and kick drums?

Natural and polished sounds means so many things to so many people that frankly I have given up trying to pinpoint what natural means anymore. That is not to say your post is without merit. You could say that upper midrange is near perfect on the Amperiors or something. Is there something missing there on the Beyer? Again, I am not really sure as it depends on the music I am listening to. They can sound a bit off at times but I expect that from any 300 dollar headphone. In fact I expect worse lol.

And let's for a second act like Tyll's measurements are just what they are: one guy's measurements. I for one don't hear this huge sound difference but then again I am not amping these with some crappy little portable amp either (not that Tyll is). I think it is all in the eye of the beholder really. If you are going to amp with tiny portables or you are not going to amp at all then the Amperior might be the way for you.

On the other hand aluminum or not I think they are ugly as hell and prefer vocals and lean tight bass all the way down to the subfrequencies more than most. I will give the Amperiors another listen but at 18 ohm I don't really feel like I need to take them home and hook them up to the Denon. I thought they sounded good but I won't be replacing my DTs for that especially when its 350.

It seems the price war has started. I expect the 400 class to appear soon lol. The fact the materials in these things cost soooo much less than that is still a bit disturbing to me. I guess the engineers are paid well. :)

I don't think you need to apologize for laying anything out on the line. We have had plenty of discussion on this board that went way beyond that into the nether regions.

I have not been too concerned with the cord. Most manufacturers do not skimp on the cord I would like to know what Beyer uses in it. As in if there is any silver or what kind of copper it is. Sometimes I am not sure if people are getting entirely different Beyers as we were talking about before hahahaha.

Also no offense but I don't particularly like supporting Apple. I will have to drive by and bring some decent music to listen to again that I know well. But as I said last time it did not go well and that is why I wanted to see how they sound on the Denon. 18 ohm though, geesh, I can't believe much is going to change because not much changes with my Etymotics and they are near 30 ohms or whatever. Factor in the top level you can push the Beyers to and I just don't think I will be replacing mine.

"The pads on the Amperiors did seem to let more sound through which means the 25s most likely have an edge."

There is no question in my mind which one wins out here. The DTs simply isolated far better than the Amps Apple had laid out for all to use. I have no idea how many people tried them on though. And there is no way to bend the metal slightly without destroying them to make them isolate any better. I for one do not like Amp pads at all. That is not to say the DTs are perfect as they can get uncomfortable with long sessions.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2,343 of 4,010
Quote:
Argh, this thread is so frustrating!  I was all set to buy the HD-25s, but found this thread saying how awesome the DT 1350s were.  So, I was set on buying them (and was just about to pull the trigger), until I read the last few posts!  

// end rant

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone for the reviews and comments.  Helps to keep the rest of us informed.

lol, you should still buy the 1350s 
biggrin.gif

Honestly, you're probably going to have a hard time making a bad decision. The HD25s are pretty well accepted as amazing portable that have stood the test of time, the 1350s are ridiculously good with few, if any, weaknesses, and even though there have been quite a few posts from people who were disappointed by the Amperiors, there are also those who like them even better than the 1350s. Obviously Tyll has heard a crapload of headphones, and he ranks the 1350s and Amperiors as the two best supra-aural closed headphones that he's ever heard. I would never have taken the chance on the Beyers if not for his review, and it's been a love affair ever since (with the Beyers, not Tyll....haha)

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #2,344 of 4,010
Quote:
Argh, this thread is so frustrating!  I was all set to buy the HD-25s, but found this thread saying how awesome the DT 1350s were.  So, I was set on buying them (and was just about to pull the trigger), until I read the last few posts!  

// end rant

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone for the reviews and comments.  Helps to keep the rest of us informed.

Just flip a coin and buy one.

Then, delete your account on head-fi and never come back.  Ever.  Don't look back.

Just enjoy the music.

Seriously.  It's for your own good.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,346 of 4,010
On the other hand I think it goes more like: if you never plan on amping then maybe go Amps as they arer 18 0hms and if you do I would go DT in a heartbeat for the tangible bass and beautiful warmth of the presentation. There are many subtle benefits to the DTs imo like being able to slightly bend the metal for a better seal that not many phones have.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,349 of 4,010
lol

@fruit_bearer,

Just to clarify, the reason I took the 1350 back was because I have way to many ways to listen as it is, not because I wanted to. In fact I'd like to minimize my collection more if i can. I would recommend them to anyone. Don't get caught up in the latest greatest thing.

If you were set on getting the 1350s. Get them and enjoy. Because there will always be something new hyped. The vmoda 100s are coming up also, etc.

The 1350s are awesome headphones. You most likely will enjoy them a lot. You may not even like the Amperiors. Others have returned them in favor of the 1350s.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2,351 of 4,010
Quote:
Tyll was right in every way on this one. The 1350 is a very good headphone that is very addicting in an analytical way. In a vacuum they seem close to perfection, but next to the Amperior, they are simply outclassed. Yes, I've changed my mind after more comparison. Don't get me wrong, some may prefer the 1350s to the Amperiors and be completely legitimate, but the timbre on the instruments, the texture in the bass, the natural and polished sound of the Senns just sounds more true than the 1350s. The 1350s are amazing on ear closed phones, and I will always have good things to say about them. In fact, they render the human voice better than the Senns and any other on ear closed phone. Its almost uncanny at times. Overall, however, Sennheiser simply raised the bar. And I'm anything but a Sennheiser shill. I never got into the 650. Liked the 600 but gave it away because it was not engaging enough. Although I think the 800 is a solid performer, I easily prefer the K-1000 to it. But with the Amperior they simply nailed it for this type of headphone.

Regarding an earlier question about the HD25, the Amperior is better than the HD25s that I remember. Its been awhile since listening to the 25s, so don't trust my comparison. But the "stored energy" explanation regarding the Amperior at Innerfidelity is something that should be read and taken seriously. The idea that Sennheiser made aluminum cups for cosmetic reasons is a wrong conclusion IMHO just because a rep said they were going for the same sound. I believe the goal was trying to improve the sound without altering the HD25 signature. Considering the comments that I've read, I don't think people fully appreciate how dramatic the effect can be going from plastic to aluminum on closed headphones, not to mention the shape change and position of the damping material. It looks like engineering to me. The difference is all measured over at Innerfidelity between the 25 and Amperior, so its not just perception.

Sorry to lay it in such a direct way, but my 1350s are going back today. YMMV

is there a big difference between the 25 & the amperior or is the latter simply a refinement of the former?

one oft overlooked phone around here is the akg k181dj, a phone that is far better built and better sounding than it's very popular smaller sibling, the k81dj. i owned the hd25ii and k181dj at the same time, and while i liked both, i ended up selling the senns and keeping the akgs. there are also some cable and diy mods that are supposed to affect significant improvements to the 181s. for those who are curious but unfamiliar see the following threads. another phone that was popular a while back, but then was forgotten was the equation audio rp21, which also had some mods that could be easily performed.:
K181:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/162552/official-k-81-dj-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/323653/akg-k181dj-review#post_4183439

RP21:
Reversible mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/244888/reversible-equation-audio-rp-21-mod-56k-warning
impressions:
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/248968/a-short-rp21-review
tbonner1:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/237797/equation-audio-rp-21-review
LTucci1924: http://www.head-fi.org/t/243396/thoughts-on-the-equation-audio-rp-21/15
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/243421/rp-21-are-they-really-that-good
AT ES7 vs RP21:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/239281/ath-es7-vs-equation-audio-rp-21/45

Quote:
If it helps you any, I still have my KSC 75s and will never sell them considering how good they sound and IMO they beat some headphones 5x the price. My $0.02.
smily_headphones1.gif

the inexpensive koss phones (35s, 75s, sporta pros, porta pros, radio shack pro35as...) are all a great deal of fun to listen to and are terrific values still even though they've been around for a long time.  most, if not all, head-fiers should own some at some point in their journey!

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,354 of 4,010
Have you owned the 25s and/or Amperiors Cow? IME, even an in-store audition is sometimes not enough to really get to know a headphone. I do wish, though, that the Amperior was not priced to so high but that's Sennheiser for you. $300 would have been a more fair price IMO.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,355 of 4,010
Hi all,

I got my DT1350 demo pair in today and have been doing some listening. To me, from what I've heard thus far, sound like a mini T1 that has more bass. I like that a lot. The soundstage isn't massive but it's better than the HD-25's I heard in the past. I'll update later with more impressions as well as pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back