New Beyer DT1350
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,356 of 4,010
Quote:

is there a big difference between the 25 & the amperior or is the latter simply a refinement of the former?

Hey Dave, I hate to be the point of reference for comparisons of the 25s and Amperior. It's been a long time since I've heard the 25s. I just know that they didn't impress me enough to want them when I decided to get closed cans. I would have kept my 1350s if the 25s were the other option. With the Amperiors, I was forced to make a change even though the 1350s were pretty special.

Thanks for the links of other options. It would be nice for another experienced headfier to give comparisons between the Senns new vs old 25 offerings. There weren't many comparisons between the 1350s and Amperiors which is why I had to grab me a pair. And I wanted to share what my experience was to help anyone that might be looking. But, again, I don't want to influence any buying decisions with the Senns because I can't give a fair A/B comparison responsibly. I will tell you that the 1350s are better. If they weren't, I'd save the $150 and just get them instead since I still have over a week before my return/refund window closes at the Apple store.

Either way, you should hear them. Have you heard the 1350s?

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,357 of 4,010
Quote:

I hate to be the point of reference for comparisons of the 25s and Amperior. 

you're not...there are several people in the Amperior thread who discuss the differences...that's why I pretty much decided not to buy the Amperiors lol

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,359 of 4,010
Quote:
Whaaat? I didn't recall seeing impressions on the HD25 vs Amperior. Looks like I'll have to check that thread again.

Yeah, the main Amperior thread...there was a guy named Windsor who liked the Amperiors better, but pretty much everyone else in the thread who chimed in gave a thumbs down, with several of them returning them. It was enough for me to not really worry about auditioning them for now, and will revisit it again once Apple's exclusivity runs out. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,360 of 4,010
Yeah but did anyone do a head to head comparison with the HD25? I figured it was more of just disappointment because of the price tag along with the fact that there are many headphones coming out right now that are cheaper with more potential (M-100 comes to mind as being one of them).

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,361 of 4,010
Quote:
Yeah but did anyone do a head to head comparison with the HD25? I figured it was more of just disappointment because of the price tag along with the fact that there are many headphones coming out right now that are cheaper with more potential (M-100 comes to mind as being one of them).

yeah, cause I recall asking about that specifically. Several of the people who were chiming in either owned, or were familiar with, the HD25s....I saw enough of them decide that the premium for the Amperiors was not justified given the sonics. That's why I say I'll be a player once they reduce the price, cause I do want to hear them for myself but not at $350. I will happily pay that for headphones that are clearly better than the 1350s, but since for many of the early owners they weren't good enough to separate themselves significantly from the HD25s, I have them on the back burner for the time being. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,363 of 4,010
Quote:
I can totally understand that.

I wish I could just audition EVERYTHING, but I guess that's where a lot of the usefulness of head-fi comes into play....I try to pay attention to the reasons why someone doesn't like something, and then if it seems to be a common theme I will sometimes use that info to prioritize my auditions, so to speak. One of the main people who ended up not caring for the Amperiors suggested two other phones he liked better...the PSB something or other and the Denon 600s.   So that's two more headphones I'll likely never hear lol

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,364 of 4,010
Yes agreed! I'm not sure I'll hear the PSBs any time soon (if it sounded just as good as everyone says with the NC and if the NC did a great job then I would have thought about it) and the new Denons don't seem to interest me at all at the moment. The Amperiors are intriguing, but I am biased because I was a fan of the HD25 (had a love/hate relationship with them though) and I loved the form factor. The only other headphone that I've been anticipating for quite a long time now is the M-100.

It's great to read impressions but there is nothing like being able to own and audition a can for yourself. If I have my hands on an HD25 and Amperior, you can bet I'll be posting a comparison.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,365 of 4,010
Quote:
Yes agreed! I'm not sure I'll hear the PSBs any time soon (if it sounded just as good as everyone says with the NC and if the NC did a great job then I would have thought about it) and the new Denons don't seem to interest me at all at the moment. The Amperiors are intriguing, but I am biased because I was a fan of the HD25 (had a love/hate relationship with them though) and I loved the form factor. The only other headphone that I've been anticipating for quite a long time now is the M-100.
It's great to read impressions but there is nothing like being able to own and audition a can for yourself. If I have my hands on an HD25 and Amperior, you can bet I'll be posting a comparison.

Yep, I agree....whenever it's feasible, auditioning for yourself is best. If mentioned it several times before on here, but if I would have just listened to early opinions (in terms of the ones I came across first when I initially signed up here) I would never have given Grados a shot...and I have ended up falling in love with them. On the flip side, if I hadn't put some weight into what Tyll said about the 1350s, I likely never would have given those a chance since I have my T1s and didn't have a portable on my radar. Just have to gather all the info we can, listen for ourselves when possible, and make the choice that is best for us :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,366 of 4,010
Given the amount of BS and "I kinda heard it for 30 seconds at a shop", it is very hard to figure out what to get when there are very few impressions. When there are a lot of impressions, it easier to just filter out the nonsense and read between the lines. Attending a local meet is always the best way to try them all.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2,367 of 4,010
I've been listening to my HE-400 last night then after like 30 minutes of listening I switched to these 1350s and boy, these really are Epic Headphones! They maybe not as detailed as the HE-400 and the soundstage is narrow but I don't care. Everything else they do is stellar. Makes me wonder how these things scale up when fed by high-end dac/amps. My best source is only E17. Any recomendation that is a huge step up from E17? Be it a portable or desktop dac/amp as I usually use them at home. Budget is like $250 below. Thank you.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #2,368 of 4,010
Quote:
I've been listening to my HE-400 last night then after like 30 minutes of listening I switched to these 1350s and boy, these really are Epic Headphones! They maybe not as detailed as the HE-400 and the soundstage is narrow but I don't care. Everything else they do is stellar. Makes me wonder how these things scale up when fed by high-end dac/amps. My best source is only E17. Any recomendation that is a huge step up from E17? Be it a portable or desktop dac/amp as I usually use them at home. Budget is like $250 below. Thank you.

Meier amps are a great choice. The more I experiment with it, the more I'm noticing the areas where the 1350s sound clearly better on the Meier amp vs driving them with just the headphone jack on my iphone and/or using my Fiio E11. I was even taken aback last night when I happened to hook up my Grado SR80s to my Meier Jazz. Grados are very easy to drive and I had never even thought about using the Meier with the 80s, but it really did bring out a little more in them. 

Jan has a new Rock amp that is around your price range, and his portables amps are pretty potent with excellent build quality. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2,369 of 4,010
Quote:

Meier amps are a great choice. The more I experiment with it, the more I'm noticing the areas where the 1350s sound clearly better on the Meier amp vs driving them with just the headphone jack on my iphone and/or using my Fiio E11. I was even taken aback last night when I happened to hook up my Grado SR80s to my Meier Jazz. Grados are very easy to drive and I had never even thought about using the Meier with the 80s, but it really did bring out a little more in them. 

Jan has a new Rock amp that is around your price range, and his portables amps are pretty potent with excellent build quality. 

I've never tried a Meier amp yet. I'm surfing around the site as I type this out, you think the Corda Quickstep is worth the extra bones over the Corda 2Stepdance? Any idea what the battery life is like and the recharge times?

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #2,370 of 4,010
Quote:
I've never tried a Meier amp yet. I'm surfing around the site as I type this out, you think the Corda Quickstep is worth the extra bones over the Corda 2Stepdance? Any idea what the battery life is like and the recharge times?

I would shoot Jan off an email...he's very honest about the differences in his amps. I haven't ordered his portables yet, but that will be my next Meier product. He also has a little USB/DAC amp coming out that I bet will be a nice toy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back