New Beyer DT1350
Mar 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,351 of 4,010
Interesting. I am not sure. I really like the DT 1350s and if I could choose the gear then probably them. But IDK the comfort can get a bit much if you have them on past an hour. That is if you have a tight seal.

I don't want any brighter though. On maximum full amped volume these phones can do me in. Both the low end bass up to 64hz needs EQ'ing to prevent distortion (the bass from techno can be absolutely monster on these) and the 2k plus range is unbearable to me at concert level volumes without attenuation. Both areas are there and around -3dB for me on my EQ. They are great low listening phones though as well. I'd just say the 1350s not a huge fan of other Beyer stuff I have tried in the old line.

I think with time they are getting better and I am getting used to the sound in a good way. Wouldn't trade them in that is for sure.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,352 of 4,010
1350 vs DT880 ... anyone?

Dear beyer fans,

I've asked about a direct qualitative comparison betw. the two a couple times now (in this thread and others) -- but no-one responds :frowning2: Maybe both cans  -- as of this time -- have not gone head to-head (sorry for that pun). IAC ... think it's a fair comparison because one is sealed (1350) and the other (880) semi-sealed.

If I've asked about something that so trivially redundant, please say so! I'll even give you a minimal-effort-on-your-part response one can copy n' paste: "Duh, alphaman ... did you ever just get off your lazy ass and use the Search feature -- see EXAMPLE LINK1, EXAMPLE LINK2 , etc.?"

Anyway, I've got about $300-400 in the piggy  -- all for a set of cans for the next five years or so (that's how long I've had my DT880-250 set). I like the "beyer sound" over AKG and Senn, e.g., and but I can't afford the top-line Tesla's. You might be able to convince me into a pair of T70's -- if so, make a case, and piggy will continue to collect cents for a few more mos. before I crack it :)

1350 vs. DT880 ... anyone?

Muchos Gracias, Amigos!

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,353 of 4,010
I found your post extremely interesting and I was waiting for people to chime in... I have no experience with the dt880, and I need a portable for my non-iem times so that's why I went for the dt1350 - which also serve as a beyer collection to me

But c'mon people recommend! Not even for which can suits him the best, but make fun out of that island scenario!

I'll choose a DT880 coz no one would really interrupt my music experience in a island right..? And if it is such a dangerous place I'll like it open. But I think I've derailed your question haha 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
1350 vs DT880 ... anyone?

Dear beyer fans,

I've asked about a direct qualitative comparison betw. the two a couple times now (in this thread and others) -- but no-one responds :frowning2: Maybe both cans  -- as of this time -- have not gone head to-head (sorry for that pun). IAC ... think it's a fair comparison because one is sealed (1350) and the other (880) semi-sealed.

If I've asked about something that so trivially redundant, please say so! I'll even give you a minimal-effort-on-your-part response one can copy n' paste: "Duh, alphaman ... did you ever just get off your lazy ass and use the Search feature -- see EXAMPLE LINK1, EXAMPLE LINK2 , etc.?"

Anyway, I've got about $300-400 in the piggy  -- all for a set of cans for the next five years or so (that's how long I've had my DT880-250 set). I like the "beyer sound" over AKG and Senn, e.g., and but I can't afford the top-line Tesla's. You might be able to convince me into a pair of T70's -- if so, make a case, and piggy will con't collect for a few more mos. before I crack it :)

1350 vs. DT880 ... anyone?

Muchos Gracias, Amigos!

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,354 of 4,010
Should have my balanced DT1350's by the weekend. Can't wait to hear them with my I basso PB2.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,355 of 4,010
I owned the 880 back five years ago and to me it was to bright. Today I own the DT1350 and am really enjoying the sound they give me.  So my take is the DT1350.

If I were to get the 880s again it would only be the 600 ohm version to tone down the brightness.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #1,356 of 4,010
At last ... a brave soul :wink:
Quote:
I owned the 880 back five years ago and to me it was to bright. Today I own the DT1350 and am really enjoying the sound they give me.  So my take is the DT1350.

If I were to get the 880s again it would only be the 600 ohm version to tone down the brightness.

In 2006, when I ordered 880s, they only had 250-ohm :frowning2: Yeah, 600-ohms are better. Tho' if you have an amp with "high"-Z out (e.g., Meier 120-ohm o/p jack) you can SLIGHTLY improve SQ on many German cans ... IME. This is not like having genuine 600-ohm ( = thinner voice-coil). 

Hmmm... how does one define "bright"  --- let me give it a shot based on my current inventory (look at my cans collection (Profile) for more info)

The only cans LESS bright than my dt880-250's are Senn HD-650's, 600 and 580s. I have some of the old DT911s and those were/are BRIGHT. I also have old DT990s and those are not bright. Not sure why beyer cans VARY in brightness so much -- any truth here, WRT modern beyer models??

AKG-701s are bright, but settle down a bit after 2-300hrs.

Unmodded Grados are v. bright, and not balanced sounding, FR-wise.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,357 of 4,010
@alphaman,
I have owned the DT 880/990 in 600 ohm flavor and now have the DT1350 (and T1). I didn't like the V shape of the FR on the 990. I like the MID's to be present for vocals and acoustic guitar. The 880 were better on the FR. I didn't think they were too bright but I'm tolerant to hot treble (older ears ?). I found the 880 too analytical and somewhat boring so I sold them.

It's hard to compare the DT1350 to the full size sibling but on the sound quality only I do prefer the 1350. The FR is just perfect for me and their bass with the level of detail and layers just help on the musicality side. If used with an amplifier they reward you with a much bigger sound then they are.

The only place where the full size win is on the comfort level and soundstage size. But the T1 cover this for me.

Just a subjective opinion. YMMV. :D

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,358 of 4,010

uote:
@alphaman,
I have owned the DT 880/990 in 600 ohm flavor and now have the DT1350 (and T1). I didn't like the V shape of the FR on the 990. I like the MID's to be present for vocals and acoustic guitar. The 880 were better on the FR. I didn't think they were too bright but I'm tolerant to hot treble (older ears ?). I found the 880 too analytical and somewhat boring so I sold them.
It's hard to compare the DT1350 to the full size sibling but on the sound quality only I do prefer the 1350. The FR is just perfect for me and their bass with the level of detail and layers just help on the musicality side. If used with an amplifier they reward you with a much bigger sound then they are.
The only place where the full size win is on the comfort level and soundstage size. But the T1 cover this for me.
Just a subjective opinion. YMMV.
biggrin.gif

Good fdbck!
I'm willing to accept "different" beyer sound (from 1350, T70, other newer models -- compared to the older models I currently have) 'cause I know -- AEBE -- technology has led to more accurate (=better, and better-for-the-$) sonics. I think the technological-evolution factor will more than make up for "form-factor" (full-size vs. ear-pad) especially given the use of Tesla. I also always amp, so the 1350 should be great. I wish there was more feedback on the T70 vs 1350.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,359 of 4,010
I have both DT 1350 and a pair of vintage 600ohm DT 880's from the late eighties. Even they have 25 years age difference they both have the distinct Beyerdynamic sound that is really fast and a bit cold. I actually prefer both over T1 which was too sibilant and too beyerdynamic sounding with my gear. Weird as my absolute favourite pair of cans is Grado SR-325is.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,361 of 4,010
Lot of folks -- at least in THIS thread -- seem to not like (= gotten rid of) DT880. Interesting.
So, maybe a lot of sealed fans here ... ergo ... maybe compare DT1350 to DT770.... So sealed vs. sealed.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,362 of 4,010
I liked the DT1350 better than the DT880 as well, granted it's been awhile since I heard the DT880. 

It has nothing to do with sealed/open.  The 1350 is smoother in the treble, and while they both have a similar sterile/cold tonality, the DT1350 has much less of it, with more warmth.  DT880 clearly has bigger soundstage but that's not most people's top priority. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,363 of 4,010

Quote:
I liked the DT1350 better than the DT880 as well, granted it's been awhile since I heard the DT880. 

It has nothing to do with sealed/open.  The 1350 is smoother in the treble, and while they both have a similar sterile/cold tonality, the DT1350 has much less of it, with more warmth.  DT880 clearly has bigger soundstage but that's not most people's top priority. 

The 880's treble smooths out after a few 100hrs -- dunno how the 1350 "burns in"?
Soundstage (SS) ... yeah "big" ... but diffuse-field tends to be big IAC 'cause it's kinda "blobby". My AKG-702s -- which are ??-field (their eq FR curve suggests DF, but to me they sound like FF) -- have finally broken in ... and I now (at long last!) have a decent set of cans with a sharp-imaged SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back