New Beyer DT1350
Mar 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,336 of 4,010
I really push every pair of speakers I have. I actually used the used pair I got from B&H lol to see where the phones could be pushed and how hard. I think everybody needs to know where the line is with their speaker setup no matter if it's 20$ or 20,000$. And I take a couple day's break between EQ sessions and they never last over an hour to protect my hearing. Distortion of any kind really bothers me. I like to keep my phones in good shape hence I need to know how far I can push them on a regular basis. So far they have went where I want them too with minor tweaks. Really happy about that as previous IEMs could not do it.

Also, I have not pushed my new pair hardly at all with distortion. I back down fast when I hear the first hint of anything with these babies. Wasn't so nice with the used pair I was shipped but I didn't beat them either.

Thank you for those suggestions. I get it that you mean the super EQ option in show? I did not have that checked but now I do. My PC is fairly beast so I guess it cannot hurt. Anyway, I agree about the EQ. I also got that suggestion somewhere else but the ease of MPC and ffdshow is really nice for my system and I did actually get it very close to where I want to with what they have. I will consider other options though and will try them out.

Also, I am using libsample rate high quality to resample. Anything better out there? I am not sure if I need to use this if my Denon is doing this. I have the Denon set at 192 and it outputs that. It is fed with the 192 upsample from ffdshow. Should I just not upsample it in show?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,337 of 4,010
Yeah, the super EQ checkbox.  I couldn't remember what it was called.

But wow...

You didn't even have that checked?    It sounds $DEITY-awful without that...

What version are you using?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,338 of 4,010
Newest one. It sounds okay as I had it. I am not even sure I can tell the difference yet with super EQ lol. I need to test it out more.

The EQ'ing of the bands is still more important. The treble on these can be a bitch at times.

The bass on these is incredible on stuff like Midnite Vultures by Beck or material from NIN, etc. Kind of real nice compression heavy works just bring out the deep stuff. No clue how people could find these lacking bass. They are not.

I think I am going to leave on the resample.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,339 of 4,010
Hey all! I'm really considering these. For the price, how do they compare to iems in that price range? I've been an avid iem user but after the HD600, there is so much the HD600 offers that I miss when I listen to iems. How does the Dt1350 compare to the timber of top tier iems in that 300-400 price range? (Westone 4, Se535, etc.) What do the iems do better? (I imagine comfort is one of the main positives for iems, for those who have gotten use to sticking things in their ears...)

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,340 of 4,010
Quote:
Newest one. It sounds okay as I had it. I am not even sure I can tell the difference yet with super EQ lol. I need to test it out more.

They must have improved the standard EQ algorithm then.  My version is a few years old because I don't usually upgrade stuff until I need to.

Maybe I'll check it out and see if they improved anything else.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,341 of 4,010
Hey maverick just from some testing it seems super EQ makes my settings a tad harsher on the high end. I cannot find anything about it other than maybe it analyzes more data or something. I wonder what it could be but I don't feel like re'EQing right now and will mess around a bit but keep it off for now unless I hear something in the few songs I am going back and forth on.

It is creating new peaks in the high end. I can't be bothered with it right now, will try to find more info. Could be that it is slightly better but I have to probably redo things. It doesn't really sound better at all though.

You can also use a ton of plugins for it now and libsample has definitely been improved in the last year or two.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,342 of 4,010
Well it sounds like they changed it so you can probably ignore what I said about it earlier.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,343 of 4,010
I wonder why it is there though. I hate things I can barely tell if anything is going on. It makes it frustrating.

I just download the k-lite mega codec pack and all this comes in there. Nice package they have at that website. I would upgrade.

Okay yes it definitely makes the background lady singers on Beck's Hollywood Freaks have more sibilance. I have been trying so hard to get it out that I will leave the setting off until I know more about it. Worth trying though if it works but does not just switch over to normal EQ settings well.

The sibilance is tough to bear at high volumes when it hits. I think I partially blame the recordings though. 44.1 is just not enough imo for the best high end.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,344 of 4,010
Quote:
I just download the k-lite mega codec pack and all this comes in there. Nice package they have at that website. I would upgrade.

That's what I have, just an older version.  Chasing the latest releases tends to break things so I don't usually upgrade that kind of stuff unless I see a new feature I want or something.

The thing is, if I upgrade I'll probably have a ton of settings I'll have to mess with again between Zoom Player's filter settings and my post processing settings on the video side in addition to the audio stuff so I can't just run the installer and check it out.

I might get to it later and see for myself.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,345 of 4,010
Man, there is a peak on these phones I will tell you that for sure as I saw in Tyll's graphs and purrin's. It can be aggravating. Klite releases now are really easy to update they usually do not break anything anymore. All settings are kept now but I am not sure if it is really old version. Their tweak tool eliminates bad ones. I think it would be worth your time. A lot has changed with the Codecs in even the last year. Many improvements all around.

I think different music seems to want different EQ at times. That is just how it is. I am not going to search much more. I just want all the sibilance to go lessen at high volume and yes I could use a larger EQ lol.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,346 of 4,010
Can anyone here please throw up a link concerning the ear pad mod. I can't seem to find anything detailing how it's done.
Thanks in advance

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,347 of 4,010
Quote:
Can anyone here please throw up a link concerning the ear pad mod. I can't seem to find anything detailing how it's done.
Thanks in advance

There really is nothing to do with adding the Senn HD-25 velour ear pad to the DT1350, if this is what you are asking about.  It just goes on over the existing pads.  What I found is that I pull the new pads rubber extension pull back over its body.  With the new pad placed over the existing pad while sligthly compressing the existing pad then I start pulling down the rubber extension over the out side of the existing pad, 15-30 seconds its done.

Here is a link to what the frequency response was for my  DT1350 with and without the HD25 velour earpads, red & green are with pads. 

One more piece of info is that if I put the headphone in the case with the ear pads down the hold for the earphone is tight and it tends to pull of the new pad, so I just place the headphone into the case upside down having the ear cups open facing up.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,348 of 4,010
The bassline on remastered 'Another one bites the dust' is flat out amazing. Organic, punchy as hell, and groovy. I cannot believe I hear people thinking these do not have bass. After all they are being sold to DJ's but I cannot believe these little things sometimes. I have the metal bent enough to where my headphones have a good grip on my face. Tight is the key for the bass.

As I said before the bass is overwhelming at times in the seal. It is like almost an IEM seal with HUGE amounts of bass. It can be too much at times.  Material is not overly bassy if you manage it but they still do not have the full soundstage or timbre of bigger better phones, For 300 they really are putting a smile on my face. I was disappointed when I thought I had no solution. But bending the metal turned out way easy and definitely I can feel the grip on these things. Nothing looks out of whack either the metal looks brand new.

It must be said that EQ was important for me. Without it I could not bump them at the insane levels I do without fatigue. That troublesome 2-6k region does need to be rolled off and carefully tuned imo. After that and it all starts sounding right. Could be amp to amp but I go through HDMI to my Denon.

I have decreased the mid hump a bit and while guitars are not in your face kill you the midrange is fast and appropriate. Corgan's guitars on remastered Today are fabulously crunchy and organic in the 24.96 tracks. Unbelievable and at that volume I was playing I could only handle that song lol. I would say these are breaking in nicely. I will be wearing these for a long time.

Maybe it does take a bit from the user to get their best.... I agree. You cannot just demo these ones and be happy imo. You are going to have to get a comfy setup going. I mostly use them for home use so I guess it's easier. At lower volumes they sound great normally too so EQ is not always a problem. I think people expecting bass without the power to back it up will always be disappointed. Cheap headphones amps simply are not going to do it guys. You will need something more substantial if you want these to pound your socks. They will just feed them the right source.

The material gets bassy enough for me to get a bit uncomfortable. I use the denon 2112ci. I think people are just not sealing these right as well and that leads to most of the problems. I know for sure that the looser seal is definitely more comfy you just are not going to get the bass you want. It all goes around.

They are not perfect but they are way ahead of the HD25 imho. These things can handle some tough material at insane volumes and they do it with control.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,349 of 4,010
Quick query: a Desert-island scenario ...

Any DAP(s) and portable headphone amp(s) of your choice. Solar charge station and lifetime supply of batts!

But you can take only one of two beyer models: 1350 or 880 (250-ohm). Select one (you don't have to state why :wink:

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,350 of 4,010

Quote:
The bassline on remastered 'Another one bites the dust' is flat out amazing. Organic, punchy as hell, and groovy. I cannot believe I hear people thinking these do not have bass. After all they are being sold to DJ's but I cannot believe these little things sometimes. I have the metal bent enough to where my headphones have a good grip on my face. Tight is the key for the bass.

Actually the entire remastered album is fantastic 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back