New Beyer DT1350
Mar 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,321 of 4,010

+1
LOL (Not that I know RD or anything, but I've followed his posts) When I read his comments on the DT 1350, it sounded like "highly recommended" (for people not named RD).

The DT 1350 I have (2nd pair) is really golden (Baby HE-500 good). It might be troublesome to get a good pair but might be worth the extra effort for some people. It was for me.
Quote:
Once you get to know RD, you'll realize he pretty much can't tolerate most of what's out there. The fact that he didn't outright want to set it on fire and stomp all over its ashes (despite the fact that the headphone belonged to someone else) actually speaks well of it - considering it was defective in the first place.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,323 of 4,010
Haha.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,326 of 4,010

Just curious, why would you prefer a retailer without a return policy over one that does? 

Through a quick Google search these look like they can be had for $285 shipped through reputable retailers, so it's at least a few bucks cheaper than $300.

Second hand looks to be substantially lower as well.

Because I know they have not been tried by anybody else and they will be from one of the newest batches. Dale Pro Audio special orders them. I know that I am not getting an old version or a used version. I did order a pair from B&H for 285 and I sent them back because they had a scratch and looked used.

Sorry, but I don't pay 300 bucks for a used pair of headphones unless I know they were taken care of. They have a two year warranty and I know I wasn't going to return them unless to Beyer.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #1,329 of 4,010
Quote:
Is there a specific test sound we can listen to for checking the channel balance?  I feel pretty good about my pair but you never know!

Just a plain sine wave sweep.  Its easier to hear with a pure tone.

You'll want to compare it something with high QC standards like your HD800 or O2 to make sure its not your ears though.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,330 of 4,010
Personally, I use media player classic with ffdshow codec (download k-lite mega codec pack for PC(best codec pack out there)) and use the equalizer and output there to go to my receiver/amp. You can even use all 32 bit integer in ffdshow so that is nice as well. Best media player out there is you are listening on PC.

You can mess around with the channels, put one at 100% the other at 1% and gradually ramp up the other channel. Listen with both ears if you want to. I use headphones because it is very apparent on familiar recordings when the soundstage goes whacky. Go back and forth and keep switching and you should at least be able to tell one is 3dB or more off I would think. I know that I could tell when something was at 97% or more in one channel and the other was at 100% easily.

I think that would be like 1 dB or so at the volumes I was listening. It just seemed off. It may be a can of worms but you can at least get a very good idea about the sound. Again, I was listening for soundstage problems first and foremost and not volume per se. It is easy to tell when one channel starts overpowering the other imo. Things just start to get weird sounding.

I stopped worrying about mine after about 30m of testing. I figure if I cannot tell 99 to 100 then that is no big deal.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,331 of 4,010
My lord after a week or so of EQ'ing I have found my sweet spot on these. Some of the 24/96 tracks and plenty of plain FLAC/CDs are sounding amazing. Sure, the soundstage is small but it sure is pretty. I have almost eliminated the sibilance and the bass region is well tended for Extreme sessions. The bass on these is plenty with the Denon 2112ci I am using. Media Player Classic rocks with ffdshow!

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,332 of 4,010
Picking these up soon to compare to the hd25-1 ii's since everyone is making the 1350 sound so delicious.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,333 of 4,010
I hope you are going to consider a decent amp and an EQ because that is how you are going to get your best out of these.

I was really pushing these last night with some NIN bass and damn that stuff is deep on the With Teeth album. Cuts like the title track are just deep and huge and glorious sounding with the drum content. I have found the specific spot where I am comfortable with the EQ blasting these. Couple of those songs made it easy to EQ the bass. The 32hz line is -3.12dB and I kind of have a small hump in the 250 region where it reaches 0.00. This dips a bit like a soft wave into the midrange/treble where all the problems with sibilance were (500-8000 took some time to get right). Is is very possible just to listen to them without EQ but if you really want to push the boundary point you are going to need one obviously. I reckon the sibilance would kill you otherwise lol. It can be a problem if not taken care of.

I really wish some of the haters could hear a nicely tuned set with their pick of amp and EQ. You wouldn't dislike these for the price unless you are uncomfortable wearing them. They are better sounding than Beyer's previous line of full cans imo in many ways. The soundstage is smaller though.

I definitely needed to roll off the highs at the volumes I listen at which are approaching the speakers distortion point. I can play full piano notes fairly loud and that is also a very good test for distortion. These things are made so much better than my various IEMs I have. Not even close. These blow all of them away besides the high end stuff. FFDSHOW has an awesome EQ. Use it if you have a PC!

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,335 of 4,010
Quote:
I hope you are going to consider a decent amp and an EQ because that is how you are going to get your best out of these.
I was really pushing these last night with some NIN bass and damn that stuff is deep on the With Teeth album. Cuts like the title track are just deep and huge and glorious sounding with the drum content. I have found the specific spot where I am comfortable with the EQ blasting these. Couple of those songs made it easy to EQ the bass. The 32hz line is -3.12dB and I kind of have a small hump in the 250 region where it reaches 0.00. This dips a bit like a soft wave into the midrange/treble where all the problems with sibilance were (500-8000 took some time to get right). Is is very possible just to listen to them without EQ but if you really want to push the boundary point you are going to need one obviously. I reckon the sibilance would kill you otherwise lol. It can be a problem if not taken care of.
I really wish some of the haters could hear a nicely tuned set with their pick of amp and EQ. You wouldn't dislike these for the price unless you are uncomfortable wearing them. They are better sounding than Beyer's previous line of full cans imo in many ways. The soundstage is smaller though.
I definitely needed to roll off the highs at the volumes I listen at which are approaching the speakers distortion point. I can play full piano notes fairly loud and that is also a very good test for distortion. These things are made so much better than my various IEMs I have. Not even close. These blow all of them away besides the high end stuff. FFDSHOW has an awesome EQ. Use it if you have a PC!

The 1350s have very good power handling.  If you're really pushing the drivers to such audible distortion you must be EQ-ing the $#!+ out of them or you will shortly be on you way to no longer being able to hear anything at all.

Also, if you want to get serious about EQing switch to a player like foobar or Jriver that lets you use VST plugins and get a linear phase parametric EQ.  Ffdshow's EQ sounds great if you use the high quality mode and works well enough for bringing up the sub bass in movies which is what I use it for.  Graphic EQs are just too blunt of an instrument to make precise changes though.  Despite the fact that you can choose the center frequency of each band there just aren't enough of them for high level personalized adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back