New Beyer DT1350
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,383 of 4,010
The Amperior certainly has me interested. I plan on getting one at some point to have a bit of a head-to-head with my 1350 and see which one comes out on top.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,384 of 4,010
Quote:
 Audiophile companies want to push burn-in theory because they know people acclimate to gear over time. 

Well, maybe, ... but as I alluded to above in my earlier "psycho-acoustic effect" burn-in comment the acclimatization phenomenon seems to be  well known. Hence ... the way I approach the issue -- like many, but not all, others "audiophiles"/reviewers -- is to do an initial listen after purchase (make sure it's workin'!). Then break in for a given time, and go back for serious listening. 
I almost sold my AKG 701s after purchase because the unbroken-in set was way too harsh/bright. Then, I read about these cans needing several 100 hrs burn-in time. So I did that w/o any in-between listening -- to avoid acclimatization. I also had access to a 2nd set of new 701s -- call them the "control", as in science experiments. Long story short: burn-in helps a lot w/701s. More so than with most other cans, IME. The only other set that I have that requires extensive burn-in is Senn IE-8/80 IEM. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,385 of 4,010
hello all, 
have anyone tried dt1350 with ipod directly ?
i find the bass is really non exist comparing with iem. 
quite disappointed . hope that dx100 could help in this , 

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,386 of 4,010
Tried repositioning them?

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,387 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:
Well, maybe, ... but as I alluded to above in my earlier "psycho-acoustic effect" burn-in comment the acclimatization phenomenon seems to be  well known. Hence ... the way I approach the issue -- like many, but not all, others "audiophiles"/reviewers -- is to do an initial listen after purchase (make sure it's workin'!). Then break in for a given time, and go back for serious listening. 
I almost sold my AKG 701s after purchase because the unbroken-in set was way too harsh/bright. Then, I read about these cans needing several 100 hrs burn-in time. So I did that w/o any in-between listening -- to avoid acclimatization. I also had access to a 2nd set of new 701s -- call them the "control", as in science experiments. Long story short: burn-in helps a lot w/701s. More so than with most other cans, IME. The only other set that I have that requires extensive burn-in is Senn IE-8/80 IEM. 

Many years ago I burned in the K701s for 100 hours, another 100, and then another 200. They still sounded the same to me after all that. Chris Cornell's voice never sounded quite right on them. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,388 of 4,010
hello all, 

Yes. I agree that the bass is a bit limp out of an iPod, even if you reposition to get a perfect seal. They need an amp to give their best. I played them one night on my Lyr and the bass was rattling my brain. This is part of the reason why I decided to have them rewired to balanced. This way I can give them the power of my iBasso PB2 and see what they will do.

My cans are just about completed and should be sent back to me early next week. It has been a while since I last listened to them in stock form but I will post some impressions next week for anyone interested.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,389 of 4,010
No doubt. You need an amp for 80 ohm headphones if you want heavy bass especially these particular phones. The bass is frickin huge on these. Enough for me to know that I cannot listen at those volumes all the time. For like the nth time I laugh at people who think these have weak bass. It is anything but weak.

If I shut my EQ settings off the sound of course gets livelier but also very harsh at loud volumes. The Beyer sound is there a bit. Some people will like this approach I guess but I like my high end just there not the center of the show. I think I have become accustomed to the ER4S sound and without an EQ these things are off to me in the high end. Nothing that cannot be fixed though and quite easily. I thoroughly enjoy listening to these on just about everything I put into them.

The seal is tight on mine after bending. Almost too tight from just a minor adjustment. So tight I want to take breaks a lot which isn't a bad idea anyway I guess. But I think that is the definite trade off here. If you want all your bass you will need a tight fit. It might not suit certain people. I get tired but still keep coming back for more.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,390 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:
hello all, 

Yes. I agree that the bass is a bit limp out of an iPod, even if you reposition to get a perfect seal. They need an amp to give their best. I played them one night on my Lyr and the bass was rattling my brain. This is part of the reason why I decided to have them rewired to balanced. This way I can give them the power of my iBasso PB2 and see what they will do.

My cans are just about completed and should be sent back to me early next week. It has been a while since I last listened to them in stock form but I will post some impressions next week for anyone interested.

yes. looking forward on the sound transformation of DT1350 from SE to Balanced

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,391 of 4,010
My 1350s arrived today! Didn't get to listen to them too much yet, but they have been impressive so far.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,392 of 4,010

Quote:
I had heard the HD-25ii at a recent meetup and felt it may have been slightly more neutral, but it was through a Zune as a source.  I actually use the DT-1350 with desktop amps and feel it does very well for what it is.  There is ever so slightly more treble sparkle than I would like sometimes that I notice more unamped.  The biggest downsides evident here though are the possibility of driver mismatch and long-term discomfort.  I too wish we had more comparison reviews!

Well, I am the newest recruit to the DT1350 fanclub (until the next person buys a pair) - and also have a pair of Senn HD25, and Beyer T50p, so - I may well be inclined to do a little three way shootout over the easter period :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #1,393 of 4,010
I finally got a chance to audition these and the HD25 a few days ago. The DT1350 sounded amazing and imo completely annihilate the HD25 in terms of sound. Build quality is, as always, solid. I thought the HD25's mids were recessed, vocals were too distant and it literally has no soundstage. The Beyers, on the other hand, has a more neutral sound signature than the HD25, incredibly detailed and has a very decent soundstage and instrument separation. They are sealed tight and does not leak sound unless volume is cranked up high while the HD25 will leak at medium to high listening volumes. In fact, it reminds me of the DT880 but is perhaps not as bright. Although the DT1350 is a much superior can than the HD25, the HD25 has a slight edge in timbre and perhaps "looks" more robust than the Beyer (looks can be deceiving). I'll be looking forward to hear the Amperiors myself. But for now, it's time for the HD25 to retire.

The DT1350 is a great reference portable headphone and it sounds pretty impressive. I enjoyed it immensely with my classical recordings as well as other genres. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,394 of 4,010
So after doing more EQ testing I think these Beyers actually sound better with little EQ at the lower volumes that you might achieve with your portable. I guess this depends on the quality of the amp and DACs though. And bass was quite weak when I tested this with an ipod. It still sounded quite nice and would be one of my fav's for casual lower volume listening.

Anyway, I almost thought about having no EQ until I tested out the far range of my Denon on a couple tracks. When the volume is about 3/4 on Media Player Classic I can crank the AV up to about 9.0dB. At this volume without a fairly stiff -2dB or -3dB roll off the high end just gets really weird. I roll off starting at the lower midbass region ever so slightly going both ways up and down the spectrum. It gets more severe in the 64hz region and 2khz region but others like 125hz and many in the high end can be troublesome as well. I guess I really like this set with other sources though. I was not sure I would. I just need to learn to control the volume knob a bit.

On a lot vocal material these frequencies were causing slight bass distortion or muddiness and sibilance respective to their frequencies mostly. Still I try to perfect the live but smooth sound I want. At these volumes having no EQ would have broke my ears. That kind of nice lively sound at lower volumes and even up to about 5.0 on the Denon morphs into some large nefarious siren when pushed.

I think my levels are more dynamic and resolute but a tad less detailed. Pretty amazed though at what these things play cleanly. They truly can get up to that 129dB SPL level mentioned or near it while sounding excellent. I am sure a pro could level these better with more frequency bands or a better system. If I had speakers I guess I would have used multiEQ XT. Frequent breaks are mandatory at high levels. My ears are bleeding! HAHA.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,395 of 4,010

Quote:
Many years ago I burned in the K701s for 100 hours, another 100, and then another 200. They still sounded the same to me after all that. Chris Cornell's voice never sounded quite right on them. 

My K702 never changed in their sound either, or at least not that I noticed. A little off topic but there is a family of very simple mods that can solve the Q/K701/2's problems. Just mess around with the filtering - lots written about it here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/411268/the-akg-k701-friend-or-foe-mods-that-may-help-others. I did a variation of this to my old pair of K702 and thought they sounded great but gave them to my brother as I'd just got my Stax. A couple of weeks ago I saw my brother and he had them on him and I tried them again and was quite gobsmacked at how good they were. Smooth, warm and natural with a fantastic sound stage and clarity. I'm tempted to get one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back