New Beyer DT1350
Sep 4, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #976 of 4,010
Sitting here with the ms400 and a few other "Warm" and fuzzy sounding headphones, the 1350 sounds ICE COLD in comparison.  And it is rightly so, it was made to be unbiased in signature.  The lack of bass presence only further proved it was no where near warm sounding, the Tesla technology was not designed to produce a warm signature in the slightest.  I find what little bass produced by the 1350 to be very clean and totally unbiased with very little exaggeration, if any at all.  You might be the only person I am aware of that feels the beyer 1350 to be warm.  

Pretty much every set of headphones that dip that low with frequency response are generally not warm, with that level of response ( down to 5hz i think it is ) warm dissipates and is replaced with an unbiased, clean bass experience.  This is made more apparent due to its responsiveness to highs as well, running upwards of 30,000hz or something close to that.  Cans with these type of wide response range are rarely if ever warm.  The only hifi set with a massive response would be the Edition 8, and it is only barely noticeably warm which again is found only in the bass.  This is likely due to the S logic ( my theory as to why its the only warm high end set ).   The T1, HD800, all the hifiman HE series sets, LCD2, ect ect are not warm.  They are tonally balanced and unbiased, some are on the boarder of metallic and neutral just like the DT 1350 is.

The sad thing right now is that I enjoy the presentation of the DT1350 MORE than my lcd2.  The beyer has a forward presentation that is just a little snappy in the highs with a gorgeous mid range that is bright and lively, huge sound coming out of such tiny little earcups, amazing tech in this set.  The bass is a problem for me and makes it feel a bit unbalanced now that Ive had it for a while.  The lack of the bass is offset by the awesome vocals, mids and lightly snappy highs.  There is no question, The DT 1350 is a best buy for me, but again its the type of sound I want in a full size set, not a portable.  

The DT 1350s presentation makes me look at the LCD2 and cringe because thats the type of sound i want, however the immense clarity of the lcd2 makes me look at the DT 1350 and cringe the same way but in regards only to clarity and bass.  I much prefer the vocal experience on the DT 1350 unamped vs the LCD2 unamped.  ( the lcd2 sound great right out of my cowan J3 )   I know its not fair to compare them unamped, but I say this just to give you an idea of how good the vocals are on the dt 1350...they are astoundingly great for a portable.  I have yet to find a full size amp that will make my LCD2 vocals truly forward, I do not think its possible to get a really forward sound like the DT 1350 has 

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #977 of 4,010
Do you listen to your DT 1350 straight out of your J3 ? If that's the case, I understand the "ice cold" comment, even though it certainly isn't because the J3 makes the DT 1350 brighter (all amps output an almost flat FR - except in the extremes, or they're badly made / badly matched with the wrong gear - the differences we hear come from other reasons), just leaner / thinner.

Out of my iPhone, I find them boring and uninvolving - very thin, lean. The TTVJ corrects that to an extent, but I doubt the DT 1350 will ever sound full sounding.

I understand your comments, and they probably come from the fact that we use the terms "warm" or "bright" differently - I personally relate "warm" and "bright" to FR quantity, period (so in my mind that's something that can be measured). By this token, then the DT 1350 is warmer than most of the cans you just mentioned, including the Ed.8.

It seems you relate the terms "warm" to a more subjective impressions, and fi I were to use the term in the same way as you do, I'd agree with you. But I think there are other, less confusing terms to use. I thought that the term "lean" or "thin", or "unsubstantial", or "light-footed" (depending on the appreciative connotation you want to use), describe better what I hear from the DT 1350.

And again, the fact that headphones can have a "warm" FR but a lean / airy sound is all but incompatible - the Stax OII comes to mind.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #978 of 4,010

Quote:

If I do not have permission to copy these links, please feel free to (request a) delete/edit (of) this post.

All measurements and credit go to innerfidelity.com

I make these measurements for you guys to play with and talk about.  You absolutely have my permission to use them in your discussions any way you'd like. 

They just can't be used by someone to make money or help make money without permission.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #979 of 4,010
swbf, is your LCD2 the R1 or the R2?  

Anyway I felt the DT1350 was definitely "ice cold" as you put it, but the LCD2 R1 was pretty warm-sounding. I also admit that I use the terms "warm" and "bright" without considering frequency response. It's a subjective terminology for me. In fact, I seldom look at the freq specs of a headphone when I listen to it. That way I can tackle the sound on my own terms with no objective "bias" -- if "objective" can be "biased" lol. 

I just got my R2 and I am still trying to figure its sound out, so I won't comment on it for the meantime. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #980 of 4,010
All this confusion for such a tiny headphone.

I dont know how could any one refer to the DT1350 as 'warm sound signature' neither I do think that was beyerdynamics intention.
I dont believe either that the headphone can change its sound signature no matter what amp, Ive tried only fiio e5, mini3, bravo V2 (the little tube amp), ibasso D3, Gilmore lite. and it does improve with amplification but not to a dregree where one could say "sounds like a different headphone". maybe with real tube amps it could become less dry.

Quote: from the glosary
Warm - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs.

Ive had a similar discusion with maverickronin pages back, I said the DT1350 were light in the bass department, he said they had plenty. later on I found out we were talkaing about different things. I was talking of ammount as in emphasized bass sound, he was talking about the low frequencies extension, which indeed the DT1350 ha splenty of it.

The DT1350 are capable of bringing out great bass in both ammount and extension when needed, If any of you is familiar with A Perfect Circle, the album 13th Step, starts with the track "The package" which suddenly has some deep and strong bass slam and passages, the beyer blew my head off here, I even started checking the amp and connections, it simple rumbled with a low end I havent heard before. that was when I realised the DT1350 are faithful to what to throw at them. pherhaps a little on the dry side, but feed them with a decent amp and some powerful bass line and they will deliver. and probably blow your head off.

For this reason I suggest we all listen to some relatively easy to get headphone for references and start from there. portapro with some led zepp IV? 
biggrin.gif

Even when I am not a bass buff, but most of the talk about the beyer seems to be around the bass.

Edit: typo in maverickronin 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #981 of 4,010

Quote:
swbf, is your LCD2 the R1 or the R2?  

Anyway I felt the DT1350 was definitely "ice cold" as you put it, but the LCD2 R1 was pretty warm-sounding. I also admit that I use the terms "warm" and "bright" without considering frequency response. It's a subjective terminology for me. In fact, I seldom look at the freq specs of a headphone when I listen to it. That way I can tackle the sound on my own terms with no objective "bias" -- if "objective" can be "biased" lol. 

I just got my R2 and I am still trying to figure its sound out, so I won't comment on it for the meantime. 

I am a happy owner of the rev1.  I got to listen to both and preferred the less bright experience in the rev1 ( also the cheaper used price was a contributor as well hehe )
 The Dt 1350 is definitely a 9/10 for me despite some of the small gripes I have with it.  I am making my own custom velour pads for it right now and they should be done in a few days once I get the stitch work right :\

lol :p

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #982 of 4,010

Quote:
I am a happy owner of the rev1.  I got to listen to both and preferred the less bright experience in the rev1 ( also the cheaper used price was a contributor as well hehe )
 The Dt 1350 is definitely a 9/10 for me despite some of the small gripes I have with it.  I am making my own custom velour pads for it right now and they should be done in a few days once I get the stitch work right :\

lol :p

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the bass response (if any) when you change from pleather to velour.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #983 of 4,010
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the bass response (if any) when you change from pleather to velour.

+2 Even I had little audiophilia nervosia and put in on sale Im getting more convinced to leave it by me :D All mods are welcome!
I saw lil beyers with changed cable. That standard is toot thin in my opinion, even its for portable needs. Anyone here changed it yet?

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #984 of 4,010
Actually, I was unable to get the gear I needed online in a timely manner, faster shipping wasnt offered so i had to get generic shipping on the tools I needed to made my own pads.  I'm shooting for them to be completed next weekend 

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #985 of 4,010

I'm glad to hear that for some the seal comes easily.  For me it took a little more work and not getting the seal does have a major impact on the sound.  Game changing sounds dramatic, but without getting a seal the 1350 was going back, now it's staying.  For me they are not listenable without getting it right, get it right and they are really good

My motivation for posting about it was to try and avoid a new owner from dismissing the 1350 before they had a chance to hear what this portable was capable of.  I almost did, and that would have been a shame.  Hopefully it's not scaring anyone away.  For those not fortunate enough of to get the seal easily it's worth a little effort! 

Sorry for
deadhorse.gif

Quote:

I also think the "sweet spot" thing is a bit overblown. Fiddling around with headphone placement for the DT1350 isn't as game-changing as on a few other on-ears I've had, like the Bose Triport OE where just shifting the headband a bit causes a huge difference in the sound.  I guess it's because of the aforementioned memory pads that seem to cling to my ear properly, but unless I forcibly put the cups off my ears in a way to create a gap, I can't get a bad seal with these. It's pretty easy for me to wear.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #986 of 4,010
I disagree on this one. The level of force I need to exert on my ears to achieve the extra bass with my hands is far beyond what you can passively achieve with the headband. It's a level of force that is uncomfortable to the head. I am not about to trade comfort for a little extra bass, in a headphone that is simply bass light by nature.

Quote:

But that is exactly the point, as long as you can get more bass by pressing the cups, you have not achieved the proper seal. Take one cup in each hand and bend the unspread headbands so that the cups pass each other.That way you increase the unspread clamping force. The headband is stainless steel, it will not break. Then adjust the cups and spread the headband . Now you should be able to get the seal that needs no further pressing of the cups. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #987 of 4,010
I disagree on this one. The level of force I need to exert on my ears to achieve the extra bass with my hands is far beyond what you can passively achieve with the headband. It's a level of force that is uncomfortable to the head. I am not about to trade comfort for a little extra bass, in a headphone that is simply bass light by nature.

You might work on it then. As my test to make sure I've got the fit right I press down on the cups. If it's right I don't get any change when firmly pressed.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #988 of 4,010
Seems the DT-1350 does not fit your head. When placed properly on my head the DT1350 bass does not improve any more when using additional pressure. Also I found the bass far superiour in depth, impacts and quantity to my K701. So maybe you are just not made for each other. 

Quote:
The only way to really get more bass out of them for me is to hold the cups with my hands and forcibly press them towards my ears. This really heightens the bass response, but you cannot wear them this way without continuous pressure being exerted by something other than the headband.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #989 of 4,010

Quote:
The DT 1350s presentation makes me look at the LCD2 and cringe because thats the type of sound i want, however the immense clarity of the lcd2 makes me look at the DT 1350 and cringe the same way but in regards only to clarity and bass.  I much prefer the vocal experience on the DT 1350 unamped vs the LCD2 unamped.  ( the lcd2 sound great right out of my cowan J3 )   I know its not fair to compare them unamped, but I say this just to give you an idea of how good the vocals are on the dt 1350...they are astoundingly great for a portable.  I have yet to find a full size amp that will make my LCD2 vocals truly forward, I do not think its possible to get a really forward sound like the DT 1350 has 

I haven't heard the DT1350 (yet) but don't you think your impressions are due to the difference between closed and open soundstages? When comparing the O2 with closed headphones like the CD900ST or the Thunderpants the only thing I really miss with the O2 is presence and forwardness (which may also be due to the ethereal presentation). Anyway, I really need to hear the Beyer.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #990 of 4,010
I posted this in the modding thread but I thought I would post it here also.

The DT1350's bass really came alive when I use a bottlehead crack/speedball with a Bugle Boy 12au7a and a Tung-Sol 5998. I am listening to them now. When I A/B them from the headphone out of the Nuforce HDP vs the HDP> Bottlehead, the DT1350 REALLY FILLS OUT! with the tubes. The soundstage opens up and is also more substantial.

I listened to some bass heavy music and some not so bass heavy music, Massive Attack, Del, Arrested Development, Sugarhill Gang, Moby, Wagner, Natalie Merchant, Ricky Lee Jones, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Led Zepplin, Kid Rock, Sublime. Even the Radio Head I complained about earlier sounds great!

With just the HDP I can hear most of the bass, it goes deep, but it is polite. Like MayaTiab put it, it is both warm and light-foooted at the same time...

With the tubes the bass is not only extended, it is punchy, full, thick...the bass can shake and pound in a way that makes me not want to listen to the Dt1350's without the tube amp set up. Each time I click on a new song I am surprised by the depth and punch of the bass.

Maybe another SS amp would work well also, I have only heard these from my 5th gen ipod, mackbook pro, nuforce hdp, and ipod touch. But the Bottlehead was the most surprising improvement to my ears! I do not know how much juice the the 80 ohm Dt1350's need, but they can play comfortably at about the same volume setting as my HD800's (300-650 ohm) on the crack. The 5998 get's the amp output to about 50 ohms, maybe a nice (edit: tube amp with an output transformer)  might work even better?
(another correction:Doc from Bottlehead just let me know that the impedance output is closer to 90 to 100 ohms with the 5998)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back