New Beyer DT1350
Sep 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #991 of 4,010
I've read that OTL amps are mostly recommended for very high impedance headphones as they have good voltage swing capabilities. 

I suspect most important with the DT 1350 would rather be the amp internal design and synergy rather than a particular technology. 

Also, has anyone tried to recable them ? I was considering buying a Moon Audio recabled version (not with the uber expensive Silver Dragon, but maybe the blue one). I'm asking this because, even though I find the DT 1350 quite flawed, I find most other portable headphones even more flawed (but that's to be expected, I guess designing a portable closed headphone is a real nightmare to engineers).

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #992 of 4,010

You are correct! I meant to say that it might work better with a tube amp with an output transformer, since my bottlehead is an OTL and I might just be squeaking by with the 50 Ohm output...
Put an edit in the last post to fix this, thanks! (another correction:Doc from Bottlehead just let me know that the impedance output is closer to 90 to 100 ohms with the 5998)

Quote:
I've read that OTL amps are mostly recommended for very high impedance headphones as they have good voltage swing capabilities. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #993 of 4,010
I had the same results with my DT1350 while driven by HDP VS HDP<-->MAD EAR+ HD (Transformer couple) tube amp. They sounded almost like full-size (Note I said almost). I also notice better BASS while driven out of a Neco Portable Soundlab Dual Opamp vs my Dacport only. Both the HDP & Dacport are knowed to be Bass light. Maybe not the best synergy for the little Beyer.  

Quote:
I posted this in the modding thread but I thought I would post it here also.

The DT1350's bass really came alive when I use a bottlehead crack/speedball with a Bugle Boy 12au7a and a Tung-Sol 5998. I am listening to them now. When I A/B them from the headphone out of the Nuforce HDP vs the HDP> Bottlehead, the DT1350 REALLY FILLS OUT! with the tubes. The soundstage opens up and is also more substantial.

I listened to some bass heavy music and some not so bass heavy music, Massive Attack, Del, Arrested Development, Sugarhill Gang, Moby, Wagner, Natalie Merchant, Ricky Lee Jones, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Led Zepplin, Kid Rock, Sublime. Even the Radio Head I complained about earlier sounds great!

With just the HDP I can hear most of the bass, it goes deep, but it is polite. Like MayaTiab put it, it is both warm and light-foooted at the same time...

With the tubes the bass is not only extended, it is punchy, full, thick...the bass can shake and pound in a way that makes me not want to listen to the Dt1350's without the tube amp set up. Each time I click on a new song I am surprised by the depth and punch of the bass.

Maybe another SS amp would work well also, I have only heard these from my 5th gen ipod, mackbook pro, nuforce hdp, and ipod touch. But the Bottlehead was the most surprising improvement to my ears! I do not know how much juice the the 80 ohm Dt1350's need, but they can play comfortably at about the same volume setting as my HD800's (300-650 ohm) on the crack. The 5998 get's the amp output to about 50 ohms, maybe a nice (edit: tube amp with an output transformer)  might work even better?

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #994 of 4,010
If anyone has a J3 and the Dt1350, please try my custom eq settings and tell me what you think :wink:

EQ:
80hz - 10, wide
500hz - 7, wide
650hz - 3,wide
4.1khz - 4, normal
11.7khz - 6, normal

BBE+
BBE - 10
MachBass - 10
3D sound off
MP Enhance OFF

SE - off
Reverb - off

let me know what you think :)   my 1350 just gets better and better the more i play with the eq on the j3.  I seem to have hit a nerve with this particular setup, bass is as good as it can be, nice an deep with plenty of power but retained good clarity in the mids and highs.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #995 of 4,010
I also got good results with tubes -- Consonance Cyber 20 (NOS Tung Sol 12AU7 and two EH EL84's.  Tubey goodness with being flabby.   These phones work equally well with CI VHP1/VAC1.  

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #996 of 4,010

I suspect most important with the DT 1350 would rather be the amp internal design and synergy rather than a particular technology. 

Also, has anyone tried to recable them ? I was considering buying a Moon Audio recabled version (not with the uber expensive Silver Dragon, but maybe the blue one). I'm asking this because, even though I find the DT 1350 quite flawed, I find most other portable headphones even more flawed (but that's to be expected, I guess designing a portable closed headphone is a real nightmare to engineers).

I would try to buy this and make by myself:

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,001 of 4,010

Quote:
not the one they tried with the DT1350

So the DT1350 didn't mesh well with the continental?
How about something along the lines of this? It's definitely portable although I wouldn't want to be carrying it around in my pocket while the juice is pumping through it. I'm in no hurry to get third degree burns from the heat that little amp would generate.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,002 of 4,010
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,003 of 4,010

Quote:
So the DT1350 didn't mesh well with the continental?
How about something along the lines of this? It's definitely portable although I wouldn't want to be carrying it around in my pocket while the juice is pumping through it. I'm in no hurry to get third degree burns from the heat that little amp would generate.

Ive never tried the continental, and that little one is funny 
biggrin.gif
 wonder if it really power things up

Nano.jpg

and how much would it heat

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,005 of 4,010

Quote:

Ive never tried the continental, and that little one is funny 
biggrin.gif
 wonder if it really power things up

Nano.jpg

and how much would it heat

From what I understand it's using the same tube (1116) as the Continental amp so it would heat up pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back