New Beyer DT1350
Jul 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #781 of 4,010

Quote:
x2

In fact, soundstage and imaging is much worst than I thought from preleminary reviews... A real deal killer for me, and I will be returning mine. Those definitely can't compare with full size headphone (and don't have to, they are intended for a different market).

To what headphones did you compare the DT1350?

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #783 of 4,010

Quote:
I would agree with this, the DT1350 doesn't sound like a full around ear headphone at all, it's very closed in nature and the soundstage is puny. Even my modded SR80i has better soundstage. 

If anyone thinks the DT1350 sounds like a full circum, they need to listen to more full-sized headphones.

For me the soundstage is not so bad, let's say better than Grados.
If properly amped they sound not so closed in.

However i agree that is not comparable to full size headphones, all of my full size headphones sound wider and airier; but again, considering the headphone driver dimensions, it's good enought.

The thing i really can't seem to get used to is clamping force.
I tried and owned a lot of headphones and none clamped that hight. The tech specs says 2.5N, it should be something like the DT880 pro.

Maybe it's just me or the headphones i'm used to...semi open or open, the only closed i have is a modded Denon D5000, which seems like a pillow for a closed headphone.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #784 of 4,010
Hm, the small soundstage hasn't been a huge issue for me. I enjoy the overall sound so much that I simply overlook it.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #785 of 4,010

Quote:
For me the soundstage is not so bad, let's say better than Grados.
If properly amped they sound not so closed in.

However i agree that is not comparable to full size headphones, all of my full size headphones sound wider and airier; but again, considering the headphone driver dimensions, it's good enought.

I concur with this. I don't find their soundstage very good in comparison to open headphones. However, they're among the bests in their category. I've tried a number of portable headphones, and the DT 1350 are IMHO in the top. Proper amplification is a must however to get that performance. Just don't expect the same kind of performance you get from open headphones.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #786 of 4,010

Quote:
I concur with this. I don't find their soundstage very good in comparison to open headphones. However, they're among the bests in their category. I've tried a number of portable headphones, and the DT 1350 are IMHO in the top. Proper amplification is a must however to get that performance. Just don't expect the same kind of performance you get from open headphones.

Yeah, out of every closed portable headphone I've tried (admittedly not a lot), the DT 1350s are far and away the best. For what they are, I actually find the sound stage to be very impressive--does it match the sound stage of my open full-sized headphones? No. But it just about equals my Denon AHD2000s, and it only gets better and better with amping.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #787 of 4,010
I like my DT1350s better than most full sized 'phones I've owned in their price range or cheaper and open or closed.  Soundstage and maybe imaging is probably the closest thing they have to a weakness but that's not usually my primary concern and they do everything else so well.  If soundstage is your primary concern then you may have a different opinion though...

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #788 of 4,010

Quote:
I like my DT1350s better than most full sized 'phones I've owned in their price range or cheaper and open or closed.  Soundstage and maybe imaging is probably the closest thing they have to a weakness but that's not usually my primary concern and they do everything else so well.  If soundstage is your primary concern then you may have a different opinion though...

I'm with Maverick on this one--unless I A/B my phones really quick the DT 1350 sounds *almost* 'flawless' (insofar as I've really gotta focus in order to find things to nitpick) to my ears, and I think they're just about as good as my Denon AHD2000s, better with some recordings. They're a real dream come true for me so far as portable sound is concerned, because my ears simply cannot take buds or IEMs. Before these, I had to use my Denons as my portables...

I think it's worth noting as well that since I've gotten the DT 1350s, whenever I've gotten a new piece of audio gear or tweaked something I've used the DT 1350s to feel out the changes.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #789 of 4,010

Quote:

I agree with this.  The DT 1350 has become one of my go-to headphones, portable or otherwise.  Though the soundstage it conveys isn't wide for me (certainly not HD 800 wide), I find it to have very good imaging--coherent soundstaging, and nice solid (corporeal) sonic images.  As it does for you, the DT 1350 just does so much right for me.

I was enthusiastic about it in the video, but it has only grown on me more and more over time.  For me, it's a wonderful reference headphone that happens to be very portable.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #790 of 4,010

Quote:
I agree with this.  The DT 1350 has become one of my go-to headphones, portable or otherwise.  Though the soundstage it conveys isn't wide for me (certainly not HD 800 wide), I find it to have very good imaging--coherent soundstaging, and nice solid (corporeal) sonic images.  As it does for you, the DT 1350 just does so much right for me.

I was enthusiastic about it in the video, but it has only grown on me more and more over time.  For me, it's a wonderful reference headphone that happens to be very portable.

Jude, are you still using it with the CLAS and Alo RX MKII ?

I'm currently trying out a HM 801 but still undecied if I'd be better off with an external amp attached to my iPod. The DT 1350 seem to be really power hungry - and I'm not sure the 100 mW of the HM 801 power amp does them justice. I'm currently debating between the TTVJ slim (probably around 250 mW) and the Alo RX II (no official power rating, should be at least equal to the TTVJ), or getting a HM 801 (the one I try is a loan).

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #791 of 4,010

Quote:

Your video was one of the things that helped me to choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried the HD-25 some time ago and i really disliked them, a lot of pressure on the head and a plasticky sound.

The DT 1350 IMHO are less exciting than the Senns (less bass-hights), but more coerent sounding, despite they are not perfect.

I think something is slightly subdued in the upper midrange (4-7 Khz) and it sounds a little bit laidback for my taste, but overall natural enough.

The clamping is getting better with some gentle headband stretching and maybe pads bur-in, still a little bit too strong for my taste. I think that the headband padding is too little, i've to invent something to make it better.
However, that's the price to pay if you want complete sound isolation and these really isolate a lot.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #792 of 4,010
if you concentrate on soundstage buy K1000 or speakers:) I honestly dont see a point in talking about small soundstage in such headphones as negative. What did you expect?:) I had dt880pro/250 and vintage dt880/600 and these small cans won with both in longterm listening.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #794 of 4,010
Has anyone paired these with a P 51 Mustang? And do you think it has enough juice for the DT 1350's?

P51 will be fine. I use a Pico Slim, and it is excellent with them. I'm pretty sure P51 swings more voltage. Reports of the DT1350 requiring big voltage swing amps, etc. Are greatly exaggerated. For the record, the slim compares favorably with the TTVJ Slim and the HP out of my peachtree nova.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back