New Beyer DT1350
Aug 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #796 of 4,010
After 45 hours of burn-in time, i think these headphones have reached a mature sound.

Bass has become definitely stronger, i think it's mainly due to the pads burn-in; in fact, the pads are now much softer and slightly thinner and comfort has improved a lot. Still not the best for comfort, but i can wear them now for  1.5/2 hours, it's enough for me.

The only thing i'm not liking that much is the slighly laid back upper midrange, whith that dip at around 7 Khz, which is very evident from innerfidelity FR graph:

It's probably there to avoid sibilance, but i think 15 db is too much, it makes the music much less airy than it should be.
So i usually add some equalization with my Cowon D2:
+2 db at 3.2 Khz and +3/4 db at 6.8 Khz. This makes the sound much better, with a more live feeling.

I've a question for european DT 1350 owners: somebody knows where can i find some replacement pads?
It should be part number 906.794, but it seems that actually no online seller has them here in Europe.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #797 of 4,010
I thought I has hearing more to a prominent midrange, would that you describe be the responsible for that "caged" sound in the mid range? its the only think i dont like now, I've learn to appreciate this for what they are.

and good luck with the pads, looks like beyer tired hard not to make this user repaceable in any aspect.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #798 of 4,010
The pads are user replaceable. They are hold by a double side tape that allow you to remove and replace them. The tape is of good quality and can be reused.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #799 of 4,010

Quote:
I thought I has hearing more to a prominent midrange, would that you describe be the responsible for that "caged" sound in the mid range? its the only think i dont like now, I've learn to appreciate this for what they are.

and good luck with the pads, looks like beyer tired hard not to make this user repaceable in any aspect.

Yes i agree, they are quite mid-centric, but it's more lower midrange, while upper midrange is slightly recessed. Hights and lows are just ok.

The "caged" sound may be partialy due to the closed design, but i think that the dip in the upper midrange also contributes a lot to this.

With my equalization FR is nearly perfect to my ears.

About the pads, they are user replaceable, they're only glued to the cups. But actually i can't find who sells them online.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #801 of 4,010
Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #803 of 4,010
Time to write some more thoughts about the little beyer

Everytime I want to enjoy some (tech/extreme/prog) metal with the DT1350, I get the feeling something if wrong. like if the guitars were out of place, like if all the music were OK but the guitar were coming from an IEM without a good seal. then I start playing with the fit and then I get mad. not sure but I believe its the lack of bass/punch.

I clearly remember reading comments in this thread about the DT1350 heavy bass and hard hitting punch, **** you beyer fanbois, **** you!. I dont like heavy bass btw, I even thought once that the senns HD25 had too much bass albeit its considered thin in the bass section. but I like the bass to be present.

however when I change to some pop oriented rock or soft prog, Paatos, interpol, radiohead, bjork, floyd, etc, etc. they sound soo good, relaxing and even spacius, and teh bass feels just right. female voices on the DT1350 are an eargasm.

One thing I learned is, you have to give the pads time to seal, a simple test is this: put them on and put some music, then press the pads hard agains your ear, you'll notice how the sound improves, not only bass ammount but all gets better (and a tip darker) then stop pressing them and you'll notice teh difference, well just let them be for a while, for me some 10 minutes, I guess teh memory foam in the pads needs some time to settle. Then you will here little or no difference at all when pressing the drivers closer to your ears.

Never ever have heard a headphone so picky in genres/fit/amp like these. (OK not entirelly truth, the K601 is too picky at amping and sources)

PS: I believe no one has ever said somethign about the microphonics, I keep getting it if I touch the cable, of if ot rubs against my shirt, or when/if I touch the cups or headband or anything.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #804 of 4,010
Quote:
I clearly remember reading comments in this thread about the DT1350 heavy bass and hard hitting punch, **** you beyer fanbois, **** you!. I dont like heavy bass btw, I even thought once that the senns HD25 had too much bass albeit its considered thin in the bass section. but I like the bass to be present.

This is pretty much the only Beyer I like...

I suppose bass extension is a lot more important to me than it is to other people because that's why I love the bass on them.  There aren't many non-IEMs that go as deep.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #805 of 4,010

Quote:
I like my DT1350s better than most full sized 'phones I've owned in their price range or cheaper and open or closed.  Soundstage and maybe imaging is probably the closest thing they have to a weakness but that's not usually my primary concern and they do everything else so well.  If soundstage is your primary concern then you may have a different opinion though...

I think the DT1350, despite the 'holes' in the FR, is very balanced in what it does provide. It is as clear and balanced in the bass as it is in the rest of the spectrum. Lately I'm finding most other headphones too muddy and slow in the bottom end.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #806 of 4,010

Quote:
This is pretty much the only Beyer I like...

I suppose bass extension is a lot more important to me than it is to other people because that's why I love the bass on them.  There aren't many non-IEMs that go as deep.

I was talking about ammount, they do have deep bass (sub-bass?)

BTW i just notice the forums censors d.a.m.n . make it look like I wrote something worst 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #807 of 4,010
Quote:
I was talking about ammount, they do have deep bass (sub-bass?)

BTW i just notice the forums censors d.a.m.n . make it look like I wrote something worst 
biggrin.gif

Well, it depends how you weight it.  Most headphones have little to no sub-bass so if you weight all frequencies evenly the 1350s do have quite a bit.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #808 of 4,010

Quote:
Time to write some more thoughts about the little beyer

Everytime I want to enjoy some (tech/extreme/prog) metal with the DT1350, I get the feeling something if wrong. like if the guitars were out of place, like if all the music were OK but the guitar were coming from an IEM without a good seal. then I start playing with the fit and then I get mad. not sure but I believe its the lack of bass/punch.

however when I change to some pop oriented rock or soft prog, Paatos, interpol, radiohead, bjork, floyd, etc, etc. they sound soo good, relaxing and even spacius, and teh bass feels just right. female voices on the DT1350 are an eargasm.

One thing I learned is, you have to give the pads time to seal, a simple test is this: put them on and put some music, then press the pads hard agains your ear, you'll notice how the sound improves, not only bass ammount but all gets better (and a tip darker) then stop pressing them and you'll notice teh difference, well just let them be for a while, for me some 10 minutes, I guess teh memory foam in the pads needs some time to settle. Then you will here little or no difference at all when pressing the drivers closer to your ears.

Never ever have heard a headphone so picky in genres/fit/amp like these. (OK not entirelly truth, the K601 is too picky at amping and sources)

PS: I believe no one has ever said somethign about the microphonics, I keep getting it if I touch the cable, of if ot rubs against my shirt, or when/if I touch the cups or headband or anything.

I actually think the bass on these little headphones is better than the bass on both the Denon AHD2000s and the Sennheiser HD650s, both of which I use and quite like. The 650s do kick a bit harder, yes, but I think the extension and quality of the bass that the DT 1350 pumps out is the best I've heard from a headphone. In fact, the DT 1350 is the only headphone in my stable that I don't use the bass boost button with on my XM6 on a semi-regular basis. (I mean, it can be pretty fun to turn the bass up on some hippity hops every once in a while.) In sum--the 650's bass snarls and heaves like thunder, while the DT 1350 rumbles and shifts and moves you like an earthquake. (Not to imply that it's just a muddy mess beneath your feet. Also, wow, what terrible, poorly thought-out analogies. Can't believe I'm going to submit this without taking them out...) I mean, that's just what I hear. Have you tried EQing it at all to better suit your tastes?

And thanks for bringing up the cable noise--I neglected to put anything about it in my review. Pretty bad oversight on my part. I'll be sure to edit it in later, because it is really a pain, especially if you're doing anything other than just sitting perfectly still.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #809 of 4,010
I think i wasnt clear enough, sorry.

I am not complaining about the bass quality, Its accurate, fast, extends deep and quite detailed, I like that. what I would like is to be more prominent in some passages (more body?), ie, heavy, fast guitar passages, I like them to back a bass background, otherwise they sound to me like the guitars are floating over the rest, I miss the hard hitting punch in my metal, which doesnt happen when playing slower music, or slow kinds of metal. ps: I also dislike bassy headphones with metal, they tend to go all over the guitars, so I'm being quite picky for something in the middle.

Having said that, I notice my clip+rockboxed + mini3 powers the DT in a more full way then ipod-lod-mini3, could that be possible? at least more hard hitting punch Im sure of that.

@Metalsonata, Thanks, unfortunatelly I use the DT1350 stricltly as portable and my Zune120 has no eq ( lame), the ipod classic have a very bad one, I rather to leave it in flat, and havent even notice if it works with the LOD. clip+ rockboxed do have EQ and i've play with it a little, maybe that's the reason or maybe the fact that it doesnt have a line out (internal amp + mini3 amp = more body? ( and less details maybe.) ). rockbosed clip+ is one tiny powerful tool.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #810 of 4,010

Quote:
I think i wasnt clear enough, sorry.

I am not complaining about the bass quality, Its accurate, fast, extends deep and quite detailed, I like that. what I would like is to be more prominent in some passages (more body?), ie, heavy, fast guitar passages, I like them to back a bass background, otherwise they sound to me like the guitars are floating over the rest, I miss the hard hitting punch in my metal, which doesnt happen when playing slower music, or slow kinds of metal. ps: I also dislike bassy headphones with metal, they tend to go all over the guitars, so I'm being quite picky for something in the middle.

Having said that, I notice my clip+rockboxed + mini3 powers the DT in a more full way then ipod-lod-mini3, could that be possible? at least more hard hitting punch Im sure of that.

@Metalsonata, Thanks, unfortunatelly I use the DT1350 stricltly as portable and my Zune120 has no eq ( lame), the ipod classic have a very bad one, I rather to leave it in flat, and havent even notice if it works with the LOD. clip+ rockboxed do have EQ and i've play with it a little, maybe that's the reason or maybe the fact that it doesnt have a line out (internal amp + mini3 amp = more body? ( and less details maybe.) ). rockbosed clip+ is one tiny powerful tool.

I've just always had that problem with metal and headphones. No EQ and it's a bit thin, add some EQ and the bass overpowers the guitar licks. On some albums it works, on most of them it doesn't. x.x I've got a Phonitor on the way, and I'm hoping that by toying around with all of its cross-feed options (especially the center control) and the EQ on my computer that I ought to be able to work something good for metal out. Not that it'll help me (or anyone else) with regards to portable rigs though. ;_;

Still need to try out that software Maverick suggested a while ago, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back