New Beyer DT1350
Aug 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #826 of 4,010

Quote:
Yeah, love is when you'd consider selling a kidney instead of a pair of headphones. Or if you've gotta get rid of the headphones to keep the girlfriend/wife... Unless, of course, you love the headphones more.

exactly. that said, I would give it a serious thought on the HD25 - girlfriend situation, DT1350 not so much. 
ph34r.gif
 Its an intense love/hate relationship with teh beyer, but i've had my audio-nirvana moments.

M50 could go traded for a microwave soup.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #828 of 4,010

Quote:
exactly. that said, I would give it a serious thought on the HD25 - girlfriend situation, DT1350 not so much. 
ph34r.gif
 Its an intense love/hate relationship with teh beyer, but i've had my audio-nirvana moments.

M50 could go traded for a microwave soup.

Dunno about you, but I've found love/hate, especially of the intense variety, to be a more compelling and driving force than just love.

Quote:
I had a choice of keeping these headphones or the ton of games coming out this year. I love gaming more.

Wait, there's still a gaming industry? All those $1.00 apps and casual games haven't driven the big guys out of business yet? Cool beans. Maybe I should bust out the 360 and see what's up in the world.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #829 of 4,010
yes there is still a gaming industry. This year = Dead Island, battlefield 3, hard reset (pc exclusive), MW3, Uncharted 3, Ratchet and clank all4one, and rage :wink: I have 2 of them preordered and i am selling my headphones to pay for the rest :wink:

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #832 of 4,010

Quote:
yes there is still a gaming industry. This year = Dead Island, battlefield 3, hard reset (pc exclusive), MW3, Uncharted 3, Ratchet and clank all4one, and rage :wink: I have 2 of them preordered and i am selling my headphones to pay for the rest :wink:

Welp, I dunno what a single one of those is haha. I'm out of the loop. x.x

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #834 of 4,010
I do not find the review particularly flatering. He seems to have quite a balanced opinion on these.

On the other hand I just can't agree with him on certain points. One of them, for instance, is bass extension. There is simply no way on earth the DT 1350 extends less than the HD-25-1. Tyll's measurements are quite clear about this (and so my own experience of the two). I also strongly disagree about his comments on soundstage and imaging. Hell, I just couldn't do with most portable headphones and classical music until I tried the DT 1350.

I quite agree with him about tonal accuracy, but only when underamped. I tried the DT 1350 with a portable amp, and it lost its slight metallic coloration. Also, I'll soon receive a TTVJ Slim.

However, I'd be much less forgiving about the build quality of the Beyers, which I found not that fantastic. Materials seem noble, but the assembly isn't very precise IMHO.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #835 of 4,010

Quote:
I do not find the review particularly flatering. He seems to have quite a balanced opinion on these.

On the other hand I just can't agree with him on certain points. One of them, for instance, is bass extension. There is simply no way on earth the DT 1350 extends less than the HD-25-1. Tyll's measurements are quite clear about this (and so my own experience of the two). I also strongly disagree about his comments on soundstage and imaging. Hell, I just couldn't do with most portable headphones and classical music until I tried the DT 1350.

I quite agree with him about tonal accuracy, but only when underamped. I tried the DT 1350 with a portable amp, and it lost its slight metallic coloration. Also, I'll soon receive a TTVJ Slim.

However, I'd be much less forgiving about the build quality of the Beyers, which I found not that fantastic. Materials seem noble, but the assembly isn't very precise IMHO.

It's like you're reading my mind.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #836 of 4,010
We do agree on one essential point though : we're both tired of recommending the HD-25-1 all the time. For 20 years old headphones, they're an amazing design, but not an infailable one. I personally much prefer the DT 1350, but recently one of my friend who almost exclusively listen to rock asked me about 150 euros headphones - and I couldn't help but direct him to a HD-25 !

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #837 of 4,010
I can't make heads or tails out of anything that guy writes anymore.  He used to be quite a bit clearer in getting his point across but lately its turning into 6moons with all the flowery and incoherent metaphors that seem intended to write as much as possible without conveying any useful information.

Maybe I should just get around to writing something comprehensive myself...

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #838 of 4,010

Quote:
I can't make heads or tails out of anything that guy writes anymore.  He used to be quite a bit clearer in getting his point across but lately its turning into 6moons with all the flowery and incoherent metaphors that seem intended to write as much as possible without conveying any useful information.

Maybe I should just get around to writing something comprehensive myself...

I've long thought that 6moons was the Pitchfork Media (for you guys who frequent music review sites) of the audiophile word. You can get good, useful, eye-opening information, but boy, do you have to wade through a lot of wordy and wanky elitism to get there. Will be a shame of Headfonia shambles down the same road.

Quote:
We do agree on one essential point though : we're both tired of recommending the HD-25-1 all the time. For 20 years old headphones, they're an amazing design, but not an infailable one. I personally much prefer the DT 1350, but recently one of my friend who almost exclusively listen to rock asked me about 150 euros headphones - and I couldn't help but direct him to a HD-25 !

On the bright side, at least your friend cares to actually get a good opinion on good-sounding headphones--and can presumably tell the difference between quality and junk. (One of my friends insists that his lossy MP3s piped to his ears via Apple earbuds on his first generation Zune sounds every bit as good as my lossless files piped to his ears via a Sennheiser HD650 fed by a Headroom DAC and powered by a Phonitor. x.x)

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #839 of 4,010
Quote:

I missed this one before.  Do genre preferences and preferred sound sigs really match up like that for most people?  These days I mostly listen to metal and Jpop but if you go by what many people recommend on here for specific genres you'd never guess it from my most of my preferred headphones like the DT1350s, Shure SE530s, and former favorite HD650s.

I see all kinds of people recommending the HD25s over the DT1350s for pop/rock/metal and while I've never heard the HD25s I can tell from studying the graphs and correlating them to my subjective impressions of other 'phones I have heard that I will, with an overwhelming probability, prefer the DT1350s over them despite the fact that the majority of my music falls into the "wrong" genre for them.  I bought the DT1350s based almost entirely on Tyll's measurements of them and I wasn't disappointed.

I guess my question is am I really the one in the minority or does head-fi provide me with a skewed pool of samples?

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #840 of 4,010

Quote:

I missed this one before.  Do genre preferences and preferred sound sigs really match up like that for most people?  These days I mostly listen to metal and Jpop but if you go by what many people recommend on here for specific genres you'd never guess it from my most of my preferred headphones like the DT1350s, Shure SE530s, and former favorite HD650s.

I see all kinds of people recommending the HD25s over the DT1350s for pop/rock/metal and while I've never heard the HD25s I can tell from studying the graphs and correlating them to my subjective impressions of other 'phones I have heard that I will, with an overwhelming probability, prefer the DT1350s over them despite the fact that the majority of my music falls into the "wrong" genre for them.  I bought the DT1350s based almost entirely on Tyll's measurements of them and I wasn't disappointed.

I guess my question is am I really the one in the minority or does head-fi provide me with a skewed pool of samples?

you seem to be biased over the DT1350, nothing worng with that, but i dont think you can know hoe it sound by watching the graphics, give them a try if you can, who knows you might like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back