New Beyer DT1350
Dec 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,091 of 4,010
Quote:

The T5P sounds different from the DT1350. T5P highs are much sharper whereas DT1350 have good tonal balance. "Tesla" is more marketing than anything else. No one to this day can figure out what Tesla actually means in terms of design goals or implementation (other than 1 Tesla magnet in the T1 driver, but obviously not in others). Some of Beyer's classic line headphones are actually better than most of their full sized Tesla line headphones, the lower lines of which are pretty craptastic.

I believe it has something to do with magnetic flux density and a suitable label to give to a headphone line derived from the same design goals (company secret?). As audio is as much art as science it's fairly apt. I appreciate the rare occasion when I am amazed by what craptastic can achieve. 

The DT1350 and T50p look very similar, I'm wondering what the hidden differences are.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,092 of 4,010
Quote:

I believe it has something to do with magnetic flux density and a suitable label to give to a headphone line derived from the same design goals (company secret?). As audio is as much art as science it's fairly apt. I appreciate the rare occasion when I am amazed by what craptastic can achieve. 

The DT1350 and T50p look very similar, I'm wondering what the hidden differences are.

What do you mean about "hidden differences" between T50 and DT1350 ? At least according to reviews the DT1350 drivers are upgraded and much better.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,093 of 4,010
Quote:
What do you mean about "hidden differences" between T50 and DT1350 ? At least according to reviews the DT1350 drivers are upgraded and much better.

...much, much better IMHO.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT1350.pdf
vs.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT50p.pdf

Sonically, the differences seem even wider than the measurements.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3,094 of 4,010
I have a pair on order. Needing something that is portable to replace my sennheiser cx300's, and reading through this thread, these sound just the ticket.
Debated whether to spend my money on the sennheiser hd650's but the need for portability outweighed in the favour of the dt 1350's.
Pairing with a gs voyager and iPod 5th gen with apple lossless files and a silver lod, let's see what joys this combo will bring.:)

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #3,095 of 4,010
I put them on for the first time, achieved "the seal" by using the headband split and nearly the shortest setting. Certainly feel a lot more closed off, claustrophobic compared to SR325is/HD600/650. Very different, probably take me some time to become accustomed to. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #3,096 of 4,010
I'v got a pair of Fostex TH900 and a HP-P1 amp/dac. My goal was to get the ultimate portable setup. However, this setup isn't exactly made for commuting on a noisy train. (yeah, I've tried) And the Fostex leak sound and doesn't block out ambient sounds either. I'm looking for great sounding headphones, which seals good and block noise. The DT 1350s seems like the obvious choice. The only question is... how much "worse" than TH900 are they - considering the huge price gap. This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if any of you have them both?

PS. I mostly listen to accoustic music, like jazz.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3,097 of 4,010
u have my vote as the headfier of the year 2012 ...i salute u bro.....TH900 on the train :)

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #3,098 of 4,010
Well I just got these but I can help but pass on something I hope is useful.

I would like to have the TH900 for a while, they are just a little too expensive around here and a little too big for the goal or quality portable friendly. I would only use them in the office/home/library seated, quiet etc type situations. I think the DT1350 are just the ticket for quality sound and isolation, however could be dangerous wearing in the public areas due to the degree of isolation, up side is you can have a very gentle volume setting and excellent dynamics. Mine seem to really clamp on to my head so moving about is less of a problem than circumaural types like TH900 and many other supraaurals. So far the DT1350 work charmingly well with the HP-P1, I was using SR325is, but I can't really compare the sound or feeling, they are too different. The DT1350 seem to be slightly nasal I think due to the closed in nature. I'd recommend at least trying, if not just buy them untried, they are no doubt good enough, almost ideal for isolation, HP-P1, portable, stable on the head situation.

I was surprised when I first listened, not because of the excellent sound but the isolation nature, I'm not used to closed in phones at all. I also enjoy and listen mostly to microphone recordings/acoustic "classical/jazz" etc.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,100 of 4,010
Quote:
I'v got a pair of Fostex TH900 and a HP-P1 amp/dac. My goal was to get the ultimate portable setup. However, this setup isn't exactly made for commuting on a noisy train. (yeah, I've tried) And the Fostex leak sound and doesn't block out ambient sounds either. I'm looking for great sounding headphones, which seals good and block noise. The DT 1350s seems like the obvious choice. The only question is... how much "worse" than TH900 are they - considering the huge price gap. This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if any of you have them both?
PS. I mostly listen to accoustic music, like jazz.

If money is no issue you might be able to look into Ultrasone Editions and Signatures, as well as AT ES10, ESW10, ESW11; and there is also the Denon A100. I'm guessing the Ultrasone Signature Pro shall sound the best and closest to your TH900 based on price and what people have said about it.

Ed8 doesn't seem to have a very good reputation, and the AT/Denon are considered in the same league with the DT1350 whenever I search for comparisons.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #3,101 of 4,010
Thanks for your vote Lorspeaker. :wink: People tend to wear big cans on the train, and I don´t think anyone on the train knew what TH900 is anyways.
But they do draw a bit of unwanted attention as shiny as they are. That´s also why I like DT1350. They look like any other normal headphones. Actually
the Ultrasone Signature Pro looks a bit stealthy too. I will have listen to them as well. But they seem a bit large. 

I will also consider Sennheiser HD25-II.

Thanks for the good advices and a happy new audiophile year!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,102 of 4,010
I have a pair on order. Needing something that is portable to replace my sennheiser cx300's, and reading through this thread, these sound just the ticket.
Debated whether to spend my money on the sennheiser hd650's but the need for portability outweighed in the favour of the dt 1350's.
Pairing with a gs voyager and iPod 5th gen with apple lossless files and a silver lod, let's see what joys this combo will bring.:)

I can vouch for your source and amp with a copper-cabled HD25, especially with a nice short high quality LOD/cable.

In fact that will even do a decent basic job with HD800... Lol!

If you go for the DT1350, I'd be interested in your thoughts. :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #3,103 of 4,010
I can vouch for your source and amp with a copper-cabled HD25, especially with a nice short high quality LOD/cable.
In fact that will even do a decent basic job with HD800... Lol!
If you go for the DT1350, I'd be interested in your thoughts. :)

Received my dt 1350's on Saturday. Initial impressions with the combo mentioned are good. Mids and vocals sound as they should and the bass is present whenever the song requires it. It's not over emphasised like the dt 770's but with the voyager contour switch set to on, the bass is punchy and deep.
My main gripe at the moment has to be how unbelievably uncomfortable these are. I was aware of the issue with clamping force but literally after 15 mins I have to take them off for a minute or two. The pads don't seem to be thick enough and the driver casing seems to be pressing up against my ears which is causing the discomfort. I'm aware there are some alternative pads available which I think I will need to explore. I've tried leaving them stretched over a headphone stand, slightly wider than my head for 24 hrs but this hasn't improved things much.

Apart from the above issue, I really do like the sound they produce. It's handled everything I've thrown at it, reproducing tracks in a very engaging way. I can understand why these have had such good reviews on this forum, comfort issue aside I can see these being a long term solution for my portable needs.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,104 of 4,010
I've got comfort issues too, an hour or so and I want a break from "the clamp". I do get a good seal and it is easy to find the best position for sound quality but I hope that comfort will improve with use. As people say, great isolation for a headphone and they don't fall off easily. 

Coming from open headphones I do feel the closed in nature less appealing with these, maybe the TH900 will be much better in that regard. I noticed bass! Bass is powerful, controlled and goes smoothly very deep. I prefer the SR325i for classical, jazz, acoustic etc. The DT1350 seem to be very analytical to me, as I believe they are intended to be. My taste is more toward musical phones like Grado usuals, HD650 over HD600 etc, less analytical types. I should really tend away from pro gear to consumer I think.

However these are really nice portables, great for public transport and that kind of space.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3,105 of 4,010
I really like to rub my ears after a session with these. I certainly will not be passing them on. Quite addictive. I think people are right these go well with the HP-P1, but I think you could plug them in to anything and you'd get a good goings on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back