New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 10, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #286 of 2,819
Thanks, @Schwibbles!

I’ll see how I like the Gilmore lite Mk2 with this very basic setup paired with the Ether 2.
I can always buy a new DAC.
There is no shortage of opinions posted here on that subject!
NP

I almost said that; you can always upgrade your DAC later. The Mini should only get better with a better DAC. Most of what I read in this thread is accurate. If the Mini is transparent, like wire-with-gain, then you should be hearing the DAC. The HA-2SE is a good DAC IMO, but you can definitely get ones that are better.

The Gilmore is a very capable amp. I had one and an Ether 2, albeit at different times. The Gilmore was one of my favorite mid-fi amps and I'm sure the Mini is at another level.
I had a chance to hear it for a short time at RMAF and it certainly sounded good. It was hard to get a feel for its capabilities because of the crowd and the fact I was using open back headphones (Utopia). My end verdict was that it was on my shortlist of amps I'd love to try at home. I can't think of another amp that I heard there that I enjoyed more for the price.

May 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #288 of 2,819
Very true. The blue, pre-production unit they had at RMAF certainly stood out.

Come to think of it, it might look too good to pair with my 1541, which is very utilitarian.

May 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #289 of 2,819
I will get u guys the dimensions and some internal shots later tonight. It is a *really* impressive sounding amp in a fantastic form factor. Sorry guys, I have to watch the game 6 b/w the Rockets and Warriors first.

May 11, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #292 of 2,819
I can't wait to review one. Your comments really have me counting down the minutes!

I believe you will be mightily impressed with the GSX-Mini. @mulveling and I have really enjoy listening to the GSX-Mini during the past few days. You can find his post here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mik...sional-high-end-headphone-impressions.906487/

It's been asked in the past but no answers yet, any ideas what the dimensions are?

Justin mentioned getting the third revision of the board third week of April. If that ends up being the final version, it'll likely be another couple of weeks.

See https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-amp-from-headamp-gs-x-mini.883745/page-17#post-14899884

Justin informed me that the unit that I am auditioning is a final version. The amp is 11.5 (L) x 10 (W) x 2.5 (H).

May 11, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #293 of 2,819
Gilmore Lite Mark 2 is an excellent amp. Punches out way above its price point. Crystal clear transparent no coloration whatsoever. Class A single ended output only. IF it would output balanced with any input (single-ended or balanced) there would be no reason (for most headphones) to go any further with amplification. It does 1.5W which is plenty for most headphones, exception of course being something like LCD4, Susvara, Abyss, i.e. hard to drive phones that need big power to drive well.

GL Mk2 is a fine little amp in a very compact package which is great for minimal desk space, with exceptional SQ. All that and only $500? Incredible. Add a good quality dac and this a very cost effective audio solution, well except for Hugo 2 that guy is like $2500 so def not cheap there. If considering Hugo 2 LOL.

May 11, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #295 of 2,819
Gilmore Lite Mark 2 is an excellent amp. Punches out way above its price point. Crystal clear transparent no coloration whatsoever. Class A single ended output only. IF it would output balanced with any input (single-ended or balanced) there would be no reason (for most headphones) to go any further with amplification. It does 1.5W which is plenty for most headphones, exception of course being something like LCD4, Susvara, Abyss, i.e. hard to drive phones that need big power to drive well.

GL Mk2 is a fine little amp in a very compact package which is great for minimal desk space, with exceptional SQ. All that and only $500? Incredible. Add a good quality dac and this a very cost effective audio solution, well except for Hugo 2 that guy is like $2500 so def not cheap there. If considering Hugo 2 LOL.

I love the Lite Mk2 but the GSX mini is quite a bit better. Don't under estimate the effect of a good power supply that can contribute to an over all sound quality. I have compared the Lite next to the SuSy Dynalo Mini (very similar to the GSX mini) before and a better power supply sure contribute to many sonic improvements. I hope Justin will release an upgrade PSU for Gilmore Lite soon!

May 16, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #296 of 2,819
I have been listening to the Gilmore lite Mk2 for about 3 hours tonight paired with the Ether 2. It is a very impressive little amp! Nice feature of the Gilmore lite is 2 inputs that allowed me to have 2 DAC's to compare.

I may simply have to preorder the GS-X mini.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #297 of 2,819
I have many hundreds of hours on my GL Mk2. That amp rocks! I think there are way too many peeps out there passing by the most cost-effective with best SQ solution available at this price point period. That is how impressive this little amp is. BUT there must be a good dac upstream because that is exactly what you're going to hear.

Having said that, I am intrigued by the GSX Mini. I think if I utilize current Hugo2, with GSX Mini, LCD4z, Dekoni pads, and Norne Silvergarde 3 cable, I would be real close to a realistic end-game setup with LCDi4 also optional. One could do much worse.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #298 of 2,819
I have many hundreds of hours on my GL Mk2. That amp rocks! I think there are way too many peeps out there passing by the most cost-effective with best SQ solution available at this price point period.

Absolutely. I’m totally impressed with this amp. It has got so many things correct and none wrong.

I would rate this amp an excellent choice even when compared with other amps a few times its price.

I’m too tempted to order the GSX Mini, but I’m not sure how much it would deviate from the sound Signature of the Gilmore Lite MK2.

May 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #299 of 2,819
@purk

We still waiting for those pics? :)

Can you describe in your views on the sound characteristics? And what dac you using? I be interested in a R2R dac with the mini?

May 16, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #300 of 2,819
@purk

We still waiting for those pics? :)

Can you describe in your views on the sound characteristics? And what dac you using? I be interested in a R2R dac with the mini?
Also interested in comparison with Gilmore Lite Mk2 amp. Hopefully the GSX Mini will be just as transparent, and even better than GL Mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back