New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 7, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #271 of 2,800

I figured this was going to be a heck of an amp. I was originally going to wait and buy one , but found a too good to be true deal on a used GS-X mk2
I heard what you heard with the mini..

If i did not have a GS-x mk2 I would buy the mini on your comments alone.

May 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #272 of 2,800
I’m really excited for this amp. Owning a Qutest, I really appreciate the SE input to balanced output approach. Owning the Ether 2, I really appreciate the high/low gain switch.

This really feels like an amp built to accommodate versatility and deliver performance no matter what you throw at it.

May 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #273 of 2,800
I’m really excited for this amp. Owning a Qutest, I really appreciate the SE input to balanced output approach. Owning the Ether 2, I really appreciate the high/low gain switch.

This really feels like an amp built to accommodate versatility and deliver performance no matter what you throw at it.

I agree I’m really excited for this amp too. Curious to see if its going to be more bright like its older brother or more relaxed but really resolving with more power like the Lite? If the latter I’m getting one asap in blue to match with my Aeons!

May 8, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #274 of 2,800
Exactly what I am waiting to hear. If it is like the Gilmore Lite Mark 2, it will be a sweet little amp. Able to accept SE inputs, icing on the cake. SOLD! Actually if my GL Mk2 could do the same, I would have no need (or want) to get a different amp.

May 8, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #275 of 2,800
Exactly what I am waiting to hear. If it is like the Gilmore Lite Mark 2, it will be a sweet little amp. Able to accept SE inputs, icing on the cake. SOLD! Actually if my GL Mk2 could do the same, I would have no need (or want) to get a different amp.

Other than the cool looks I’m sure haha

May 8, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #276 of 2,800

I second that with the E2!

May 9, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #277 of 2,800
I agree I’m really excited for this amp too. Curious to see if its going to be more bright like its older brother or more relaxed but really resolving with more power like the Lite? If the latter I’m getting one asap in blue to match with my Aeons!

I think you guy will like it a lot. From my memory, I believe that the GSX Mini is a little warmer sounding than the GS-X M2 (don't have it anymore) while even par/slight less at resolving power. The form factor and versatility are quite excellent. Definitely a must hear/own product IMO. Its 4 watts rating is enough to satisfy a very hard to drive headphones like the Susvara.

May 9, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #278 of 2,800
Wonder how production is going and if there is a new eta?

May 10, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #279 of 2,800
I was able to spend a good bit of time with the mini today at the Atlanta meet. My concerns about the gain being set too low were dispelled. The gain is exactly where I'd want it to be. Low gain was fine with ETHER 2, Focal headphones, hd6xxAt the end of the day, the mini is my favorite amp and works equally well with planar magnetic and dynamic driver headphones. Well done Justin!

@MattTCG, while paired with the GS-X mini last weekend, did you have the OEM pads on the E2 or one of the the soon to ship (I hope) optional E2 pads?

May 10, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #280 of 2,800
I am also wondering how much longer we need to wait?

On the website and some of the team members said March 30th, 2019? Now that date disappear.

Well I hope March 30th arrives soon...... :confused:

May 10, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #281 of 2,800
I think you guy will like it a lot. From my memory, I believe that the GSX Mini is a little warmer sounding than the GS-X M2 (don't have it anymore) while even par/slight less at resolving power. The form factor and versatility are quite excellent. Definitely a must hear/own product IMO. Its 4 watts rating is enough to satisfy a very hard to drive headphones like the Susvara.

I can't wait to review one. Your comments really have me counting down the minutes!

May 10, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #282 of 2,800
I will be getting the Gilmore lite Mk2 in a few days to pair with Ether 2. I am,however, intrigued by the prospect of the mini and may preorder if I like the Gilmore lite as much as I expect.

I am Currently using an iPod for a source and the Sabre DAC section of the Oppo HA2-SE line out.

I expect to potentially get flamed for considering using an iPod and Sabre DAC paired with the E2 and the mini if I go this route. Trying to K.I.S.S. But perhaps too simple!

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #283 of 2,800
The form factor and versatility are quite excellent.

It's been asked in the past but no answers yet, any ideas what the dimensions are?

I am also wondering how much longer we need to wait?

Justin mentioned getting the third revision of the board third week of April. If that ends up being the final version, it'll likely be another couple of weeks.

See https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-amp-from-headamp-gs-x-mini.883745/page-17#post-14899884

May 10, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #284 of 2,800
I will be getting the Gilmore lite Mk2 in a few days to pair with Ether 2. I am,however, intrigued by the prospect of the mini and may preorder if I like the Gilmore lite as much as I expect.

I am Currently using an iPod for a source and the Sabre DAC section of the Oppo HA2-SE line out.

I expect to potentially get flamed for considering using an iPod and Sabre DAC paired with the E2 and the mini if I go this route. Trying to K.I.S.S. But perhaps too simple!

The HA-2SE exhibits the Sabre "glare" that the chips are known for but other than that, sounds quite good. Don't worry too much about it.
FWIW, I prefer the line out of the Oppo to the 4x as expensive, SMSL VMV D1.

May 10, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #285 of 2,800
The HA-2SE exhibits the Sabre "glare" that the chips are known for but other than that, sounds quite good. Don't worry too much about it.
FWIW, I prefer the line out of the Oppo to the 4x as expensive, SMSL VMV D1.

Thanks, @Schwibbles!

I’ll see how I like the Gilmore lite Mk2 with this very basic setup paired with the Ether 2.
I can always buy a new DAC.
There is no shortage of opinions posted here on that subject!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back