New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #301 of 2,814
I have many hundreds of hours on my GL Mk2. That amp rocks! I think there are way too many peeps out there passing by the most cost-effective with best SQ solution available at this price point period. That is how impressive this little amp is. BUT there must be a good dac upstream because that is exactly what you're going to hear.

Having said that, I am intrigued by the GSX Mini. I think if I utilize current Hugo2, with GSX Mini, LCD4z, Dekoni pads, and Norne Silvergarde 3 cable, I would be real close to a realistic end-game setup with LCDi4 also optional. One could do much worse.

Get the Qutest it's more detailed than the Hugo 2 and cheaper.

May 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #302 of 2,814
Already own the Hugo2. Another case of not knowing exactly which direction to go as in the process of trying to build out a system not knowing all there is to know... If that makes any sense.

May 17, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #306 of 2,814
Also interested in comparison with Gilmore Lite Mk2 amp. Hopefully the GSX Mini will be just as transparent, and even better than GL Mk2.

@purk

We still waiting for those pics? :)

Can you describe in your views on the sound characteristics? And what dac you using? I be interested in a R2R dac with the mini?

10292184.jpg

10292183.jpg

The Gilmore Lite MK2 is likely the best deal going under $600 for headphones amplifier. It has great resolution, tone, and a good sense of power behind the sound. The GSX-Mini to me is noticeably better thank to a much better power supply and the balanced drive amplification. The sense of power & dynamic are immediate upon the first listen while the resolution is all there. The tone is warmer than that of the GSX-MKII from my memory. No doubt, it is more transparent than the GL. Remember that the Lite is powered off the brick power supply, while the GSX-mini has GRLV which is arguably the best power supply ever designed by Dr. Kevin Gilmore. I love it and hope to buy one once Justin has one in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2304.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #307 of 2,814
^^^GRLV would be separate supplies for each side, just guessing? Def not an expert in amplifier topology or power supply, but even so I am getting to the point I am gonna hafta go ahead and get a Mini on pre-order. Should then be my end-game amp I think. The above description is just too compelling to not give the amp a go. May give Justin a call and visit, haven't talked with him since purchasing the 4z a while back. Thanks for posting, much appreciated.

May 17, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #308 of 2,814
^^^GRLV would be separate supplies for each side, just guessing? Def not an expert in amplifier topology or power supply, but even so I am getting to the point I am gonna hafta go ahead and get a Mini on pre-order. Should then be my end-game amp I think. The above description is just too compelling to not give the amp a go. May give Justin a call and visit, haven't talked with him since purchasing the 4z a while back. Thanks for posting, much appreciated.

I’ll actually be in Virginia next month. Does he actually allow in person visits to his shop? Id love to hear one of these for myself.

May 17, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #309 of 2,814
What is "GRLV"? In the interest of learning more in-depth stuff about this amp in particular and design theory for amps/power supplies in general... This power supply would be a stand alone module similar to the supply unit for GSX Mk2?

May 18, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #310 of 2,814
I agree I’m really excited for this amp too. Curious to see if its going to be more bright like its older brother or more relaxed but really resolving with more power like the Lite? If the latter I’m getting one asap in blue to match with my Aeons!

This is the absolute crux question - and I am on absolute tenterhooks to hear from any guys that have owned the Gilmore Lite MK2 and now the GS-X mini - is the GS-X mini the Lite MK2's bigger, badder brother?

Does it share the wonderfully relaxed yet fast, ever-so-slightly warm qualities of the Lite MK 2?

For those guys that do own both please do give as much detail on an objective comparison between the Lite MK 2 and GS-X mini as you possibly can.

If the GS-X mini does what the Lite MK 2 does but on steroids, then this amp is going to be a cathartic eargasm.

May 19, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #312 of 2,814
What is "GRLV"? In the interest of learning more in-depth stuff about this amp in particular and design theory for amps/power supplies in general... This power supply would be a stand alone module similar to the supply unit for GSX Mk2?
GRLV is a Golden Reference Low Voltage designed by Dr. Kevin Gilmore. I believe that it can be configured as dual mono or one supply to feed both channels. I believe it is the best power supply ever designed by Kevin Gilmore. GSX MkII has Justin’s very own design configured in dual mono configuration (one power supply for each channel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back