New AKG line
Sep 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #121 of 422

Quote:
On which amp? I suspect that you are yet to encounter them on a high end SS amp on a classical recording with lots of winds and strings.

I like the T1 somewhat on my Headroom Ultra Micro (which is basically the same as the Headroom Max), but it does not light up the midrange in the way I prefer.

Also, I focus heavily on the rendition of acoustic instruments (I judge tone, timbre, pitch definition and presence/saturation) and do not judge midrange on voices alone.

your still using the wrong amp

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #122 of 422
Black and lime! Two colors that go great together. 

I really like the all black with lime cable.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #123 of 422

Quote:

your still using the wrong amp

The Burson HA-160 does even worse with the T1. Which amp then?
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #124 of 422

Quote:
smile.gif

Use a high quality OTL tube amp and you will notice the difference. High impedance headphones do much better with tube amps. My Matrix SS drives them well but my CSP-2 really brought them to another level as it was designed for high impedance cans. Just as my D7000 does better with the SS amp. Its all about synergy.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #125 of 422

Quote:
Use a high quality OTL tube amp and you will notice the difference. High impedance headphones do much better with tube amps. My Matrix SS drives them well but my CSP-2 really brought them to another level as it was designed for high impedance cans. Just as my D7000 does better with the SS amp. Its all about synergy.

I agree that it is about synergy, but are OTL tube amps neutral? Is any tube amp neutral? Don't all tubes sacrifice a bit of transparency and resolution for euphonic musicality?

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #126 of 422

Quote:
smile.gif

If you want to stick with a SS amp, then the Concerto is a good amp. Both Skylab and I find it a very good pairing!

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #128 of 422
How much are the Qs? I googled and could not find any for sale.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #130 of 422

Quote:
If you want to stick with a SS amp, then the Concerto is a good amp. Both Skylab and I find it a very good pairing!

My wallet is empty... saving $ $loooowly...
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #132 of 422

Quote:
I agree that it is about synergy, but are OTL tube amps neutral? Is any tube amp neutral? Don't all tubes sacrifice a bit of transparency and resolution for euphonic musicality?

Spoken like an analytical K70x listener. God forbid we actually enjoy the music we listen to. SS amps on any headphone I've heard are always cold and sterile. The music is lifeless.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #133 of 422

Quote:
Spoken like an analytical K70x listener. God forbid we actually enjoy the music we listen to. SS amps on any headphone I've heard are always cold and sterile. The music is lifeless.

There is no SS amp as transparent as good tube amps IMO. The most involving amps I have had in my lifetime whether it was two channel audio or headphones tube amps are the most transparent and more important to me musicality closer to the real thing. Plus I can tailor the sound by rolling tubes to the headphone's preference. Just my opinion but I know what I hear.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #134 of 422
After reading this thread, I'm going to search to see if there is an identical Head-Fi thread like this one which says, "I can't believe Sennheiser took the HD580 Jubilee and used the exact same drivers and same exact carbon fiber headband and called it the HD600. All they did was change the color to blue and add bird droppings to it. What money grubbers. What cosmetic changing crap. Who would ever wear those in public? . . . blah, blah, blah"    lol

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #135 of 422

Quote:
After reading this thread, I'm going to search to see if there is an identical Head-Fi thread like this one which says, "I can't believe Sennheiser took the HD580 Jubilee and used the exact same drivers and same exact carbon fiber headband and called it the HD600. All they did was change the color to blue and add bird droppings to it. What money grubbers. What cosmetic changing crap. Who would ever wear those in public? . . . blah, blah, blah"    lol

As far as I know, the reason they switched from the HD580 Jubilee to the HD600 was because the jubilee was limited edition.  And they decided it was good enough and selling enough to be a new model.  And everyone agrees the HD600 is better than the HD580.  AKG's 30 year journey from the K400 to the K701 is similar to Sennheiser's journey from the HD600 to HD650.  Listeners are split as to which one they like.  But instead of re-releasing the HD650 in new colors, Sennheiser released the HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back