New AKG line
Sep 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #107 of 422
Well, I am kind of late in this thread and was also waiting for AKG to release a worthy successor to the K-701/2. As I had written before, all I wanted from the new AKG was better midrange presence and midrange-treble integration. I listen wholly to orchestral classical and like 90% of what the K-701 does, except that I want it to light up the midrange a bit more. I had bought the Beyer T1 with a lot of hope and I frankly found it to be deficient in the midrange, other than being less accurate and neutral. So, I hope that the Q-701 does what I want... but then... with classical being a 'niche' genre I doubt whether any flagship would be voiced specifically for that genre.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #108 of 422

Quote:
You posted a picture of a gold painted garbage can because You simply dont like the K701. There are many hps that differs only outside from previous models.

What does these 3 pictures have in common?

None of those 3 headphones were cosmetic only changes.  At least from the early reports of the Sennheisers.  But even if they were, at least Sennheiser and Ultrasone are coming out with actual new models in addition.  AKG hasn't come out with a completely new, well engineered product in literally decades.  The K701 may be your favorite headphone, but it is just a tweaked K501, like the HD650 is just a tweaked HD600.  In the past 20 years or so, AKG has repainted their K240 3 times without changing anything else, and the 2 refreshes prior to those 3 were not improvements, but efforts to make them cheaper (while sounding worse).  So yes, I do have something against AKG at this point.  Like I said, they are just like Bose/Skullcandy except they started off with well engineered products.  They're riding that wave, trying to make as much money as possible off the image that the real AKG created from actual engineering.  Harmon doesn't care about AKG, they're just squeezing it for what it's worth, and when/if it dies, they'll toss it out.  I'm not being pessimistic here, it's just how these companies work. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #109 of 422

Quote:
AKG....don't know how to make a good headphone anymore because they are run by the marketing department.  In my opinion, AKG lost their way when they made the K701 to replace what I see as a clearly superior headphone- the K501.  And many people agree.  But even if you don't, there is no getting around the fact that this new line is a complete fabrication, a marketing gimmick to trick the market into buying more.  That's why I posted a picture of a gold painted garbage can.  Because that's what this is.  A thin layer of paint distracting us from what really lies underneath. 

I don't think this new line is meant for folks who already own the K701/702. I think it might be targeted for folks who don't own either. Do people replace their cars every year if the design is altered slightly?

To stimulate new sales, Coca-Cola and Pepsi change their container design/colors frequently but the product tastes the same. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

I used to own the K501, and I think the K701 kicks it into the gutter. And many people also agree.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #110 of 422
Car manufacturers change the look slightly every year, and then come out with a completely new model every 3 years.  AKG hasn't released a completely new headphone in a looooooonnnnnggggggggggggggg time. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #112 of 422

Quote:
Always bet on AKG...wait.

For what? Dr. Dre to drop Monster and jump ship and join Quincy?
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #113 of 422

Quote:
Well, I am kind of late in this thread and was also waiting for AKG to release a worthy successor to the K-701/2. As I had written before, all I wanted from the new AKG was better midrange presence and midrange-treble integration. I listen wholly to orchestral classical and like 90% of what the K-701 does, except that I want it to light up the midrange a bit more. I had bought the Beyer T1 with a lot of hope and I frankly found it to be deficient in the midrange, other than being less accurate and neutral. So, I hope that the Q-701 does what I want... but then... with classical being a 'niche' genre I doubt whether any flagship would be voiced specifically for that genre.

try the right amp on the T1 as you did not use the right amp

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #114 of 422

Quote:

Exactly...the mid range is why I love the T1s so much. They are simply the best mids out there (and stomp on the K701s in that regard). I actually heard the K701s again the other day (I sold mine off about 10 months ago) and I am glad that I did.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #117 of 422

Quote:
Exactly...the mid range is why I love the T1s so much. They are simply the best mids out there (and stomp on the K701s in that regard). I actually heard the K701s again the other day (I sold mine off about 10 months ago) and I am glad that I did.

My experience was the exact opposite. Mids on the T1 were timid and non-musical, whereas the K701 ebbed and flowed like live music. I still have the K701. So I guess if we just accept each others preferences, most of these threads need not exist. But what would be the fun in that?
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #119 of 422

Quote:

On which amp? I suspect that you are yet to encounter them on a high end SS amp on a classical recording with lots of winds and strings.

Quote:

I like the T1 somewhat on my Headroom Ultra Micro (which is basically the same as the Headroom Max), but it does not light up the midrange in the way I prefer.

Also, I focus heavily on the rendition of acoustic instruments (I judge tone, timbre, pitch definition and presence/saturation) and do not judge midrange on voices alone.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #120 of 422

Quote:
My experience was the exact opposite. Mids on the T1 were timid and non-musical, whereas the K701 ebbed and flowed like live music. I still have the K701. So I guess if we just accept each others preferences, most of these threads need not exist. But what would be the fun in that?
wink.gif

I also found the T1 mid to be a bit apologetic. The K701 isn't ideal either, but has better transparency, truer pitch definition and less coloration/euphony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back