New AKG line
Sep 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #136 of 422
I am a big AKG fan and have read through both this and the other thread on the Qs and I am totally underwhelmed. When you look at the past range with everything from the K180 with its movable drivers, the K1 with its metal lattice headband, the K270/280 twin drivers, the Sextettes, the K340 electrostatic/dynamic hybrid and the unique K1000s, where has the innovation gone?

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #137 of 422
Quote:
I am a big AKG fan and have read through both this and the other thread on the Qs and I am totally underwhelmed. When you look at the past range with everything from the K180 with its movable drivers, the K1 with its metal lattice headband, the K270/280 twin drivers, the Sextettes, the K340 electrostatic/dynamic hybrid and the unique K1000s, where has the innovation gone?

Agreed.  AKG hasn't pushed the envelope since the K-1000, but that was about 20 years ago.  I wonder if they're simply milking the brand without putting anything into R&D.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #138 of 422

Quote:
AKG's 30 year journey from the K400 to the K701 is similar to Sennheiser's journey from the HD600 to HD650.  Listeners are split as to which one they like.  But instead of re-releasing the HD650 in new colors, Sennheiser released the HD800. 

HD650 came out in 2003, HD800 in 2009. By my calculations, new AKG "flagship" is due in 2012, if a proper comparison is to be made.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #139 of 422
K1000 was released in 1989. They're about 15 years overdue, actually.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #140 of 422

Quote:
HD650 came out in 2003, HD800 in 2009. By my calculations, new AKG "flagship" is due in 2012, if a proper comparison is to be made.

That's interesting maybe so.  When was the K400 released and when was the HD580 released?  That is when the design of both the K701 and HD650 were born.  But I don't know the dates...

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #141 of 422

Quote:
Agreed.  AKG hasn't pushed the envelope since the K-1000, but that was about 20 years ago.  I wonder if they're simply milking the brand without putting anything into R&D.

Do you feel that dynamic headphones have really moved ahead of the K1000, in terms of neutrality, resolution and transparency? Does the HD800 tell you more truth than the K1000 and what is it that you want the next level of headphone technology to deliver? Buying the T1 and comparing it with my K-702 tells me that dynamic headphone technology has reached a certain level of stagnation. Subtract some weaknesses of Brand A and introduce a new set of flaws in Brand B.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #142 of 422
seems like akg took the idea from monster. which isnt exactly a good thing imo
confused_face.gif
. i love the colors though.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #144 of 422
Comments from AKG in facebook

"Good questions/comments everyone. To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to ref...lect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. Also, the 330s and the 460s will feature an inline microphone that will work with mobile devices such as the iPhone and Blackberry and a remote control (only compatible with iPhones) to play, pause and skip through music so that people can still have a quality sound experience for lifestyles that are increasingly more mobile and on the go."

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #145 of 422

Quote:

Promotional gimmick and some respect to Quincy Jones, that's all.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #146 of 422

Quote:
Comments from AKG in facebook

"Good questions/comments everyone. To answer your questions on the what's unique about the new Quincy Signature Line, we'd like to let you know that Quincy Jones himself worked with us to design a headphone that made aesthetic changes to ref...lect more of his personal touch. The models come in black, white (with lime green accents) and a proprietary lime green color only available within the Signature Line. Also, the 330s and the 460s will feature an inline microphone that will work with mobile devices such as the iPhone and Blackberry and a remote control (only compatible with iPhones) to play, pause and skip through music so that people can still have a quality sound experience for lifestyles that are increasingly more mobile and on the go."

Looks like is his personal touch on his original 701 is the green Mogami cable.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #147 of 422

Quote:
lol, the right amp?

Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black...you're the one saying "you haven't heard the K702 unless you've heard it on the Phonitor".
rolleyes.gif

But in a way you are correct to a certain extent...amp synergy is key...without it any set of headphones can sound sub-standard.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #148 of 422
First, a story.  Both of my parents are ex-military.  We have a red-beam flashlight from their service.  The beam is red so that it doesn't kill your eyes once they're accustomed to low light.  Recently, there has been a huge influx of all kinds of tactical flashlights on the market, with any color available.  Everyone wants the new great thing.  Unfortunately, there aren't any more gains to be made from flashlight technology, as far as color is concerned.  Red is the best color to use, because of the long wavelength, it does not change our low light vision.  Using a color such as green or blue will "reset" our light vision, and it will take about 20 minutes for our eyes to re-acclimate to the darkness.
http://homepage.mac.com/kvmagruder/bcp/instruments/redlight.htm
Regardless, a lot of people are buying "tacti-cool" lights in various colors, because hey, this is the 21st century!  Technology must have progressed past our parents' knowledge!

The same has happened with headphones.  It's not like computers, where processors are advancing so that they're becoming over twice as fast every year.  There is only so much technology that can go into headphones.  Increased automation can make headphones cost less, for a given material quantity.  However, there aren't tons of things you can do overall.  A $150 price point only allows for certain materials, but then you also have to factor in inflation.  The K1000 weren't amazing, in that you can fairly easily mis-align them on your head, and they sound incredibly poor, especially for the price.  I will venture that the multiple-thousand dollar headphones of yesteryear (Sony R10, Sennheiser HE90, etc), the current $1,500 and below headphones sound just as good: Ultrasone edition 8/9/etc, HD650/800, K701/K702, Denon D7000, etc.
Dynamic headphone research is stagnant.  There's not much more that can be done.  Or, if it can be done, we are so far up on the diminishing returns end, that AKG could make a better headphone, but there isn't enough of a market to support a K801 that is 10% better than the K701, and 4 times more expensive.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #149 of 422
Although many head fi'ers will be disappointed with a simple repackage but it's what is needed to stay competitive. If they don't increase sales and market penetration ect the almighty "shareholders" will complain about low profits and a pointless continue of a specialized product line. If akg stayed pure and only make products for audiophiles it would end up shutting down sold off to some other most likely Chinese company where the prestigious akg name would be used for crap. So yeah it's a cheap marketing plan but nessisary. If akg does well with the consumer line they can put funds into r and d for a new reference can. This is the reality we live in now. Sell more crap to the masses so investors/shareholders can make more profit and buy more ridiculous stuff.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #150 of 422
if i didn't already own k702 i might have considered buying based on the looks(im liking the white).what i don't like is the green lining on the headband and the green cable.THOSE BLASTED HEADBAND BUMPS ARE STILL THERE :xf_mad: . They probably kept them there for cosmetic purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back