Need some help
Sep 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about getting the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. I was going to get the Hifiman HE500 but since I would rather get a good pair of cans and a good Amp/DAC that will last awhile I am going to get a lower cost headphone and get a amp/DAC. So I am basically asking about which amp will pair best with the Beyerdynamic DT880. Anybody have recommendations about Amps and DAC's for the Beyer DT880? And I am posting this in the headphone section because it takes a couple of days to get a response from people on the amp board. My budget in total is about $500. Im not set on the DT880 so you can move around things as you choose to if you like a certain can better. Im looking for a natural sound. I wasnt a can that best potrays how the band wanted you to hear it. I understand im not going to get that with my budget but I want as close to it as I can. I want a nice Amp/DAC so then I can have the amp/DAC for a while without having to upgrade from it. I listen to electronic, rock, folk, and psychedelic rock. I also want them to be very comfortable, laid back, and open. This will be used for music, gaming, and movies. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I am thinking about getting the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm. I was going to get the Hifiman HE500 but since I would rather get a good pair of cans and a good Amp/DAC that will last awhile I am going to get a lower cost headphone and get a amp/DAC. So I am basically asking about which amp will pair best with the Beyerdynamic DT880. Anybody have recommendations about Amps and DAC's for the Beyer DT880? And I am posting this in the headphone section because it takes a couple of days to get a response from people on the amp board. My budget in total is about $500. Im not set on the DT880 so you can move around things as you choose to if you like a certain can better. Im looking for a natural sound. I wasnt a can that best potrays how the band wanted you to hear it. I understand im not going to get that with my budget but I want as close to it as I can. I want a nice Amp/DAC so then I can have the amp/DAC for a while without having to upgrade from it. I listen to electronic, rock, folk, and psychedelic rock. I also want them to be very comfortable, laid back, and open. This will be used for music, gaming, and movies. Thanks!

Heya,

The DT880 is not laid back. It's analytical and bright. It's excellent mind you, but just throwing that out there. You could pair the 250ohm version with the Fiio E10 for a more laid back and warm approach to the DT880 that is very inexpensive and sounds fantastic.

Maybe look into the Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600, or Ultrasone HFI2400 too.

You could use something like a Music Streamer II (DAC) and O2 (Amp) for any of the above, and it would be rather future proof too for a good price. Or you could just do something like a Fiio E10 or E17 and be good with that too honestly. With your budget, I would put way more into the headphone than the source equipment.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Heya,

The DT880 is not laid back. It's analytical and bright. It's excellent mind you, but just throwing that out there. You could pair the 250ohm version with the Fiio E10 for a more laid back and warm approach to the DT880 that is very inexpensive and sounds fantastic.

Maybe look into the Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600, or Ultrasone HFI2400 too.

You could use something like a Music Streamer II (DAC) and O2 (Amp) for any of the above, and it would be rather future proof too for a good price. Or you could just do something like a Fiio E10 or E17 and be good with that too honestly. With your budget, I would put way more into the headphone than the source equipment.

Very best,
I like the music streamer and O2 reccomendation. I'll look into it. I'all look into the headphones mentioned. Thanks Mal!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 7
What about the AKG K601? So I thought about it and its between the AKG K601/AKG Q701 or the Ultrasone 2400. Which?

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Bump

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Bump

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 7
For my music preferences (rock, alt. rock, folk, and electronic) which would be better? The Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Hifiman HE-400? The Hifiman people say is less comfortable and thats a big factor in my headphone purchase. I want a natural sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back