Need help! Where to go from my DT990
Oct 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
Ok, so you perhaps you did misunderstand. The idea is, many flaws with many amps is that they color sound. This is very similar to equalizing frequencies, which is the same as coloring sound. Buying an expensive piece of equipment to do virtually the same thing is pretty silly. However, as already mentioned, if it's a power relationship that's different, if a headphone sounds the way it does because it simply doesn't have enough power, that's different. But if the headphone is sufficiently powered, and the sound is different, then the amp is merely coloring the sound be it a quality issue or frequency preference issue. All of which are miniscule and hardly appreciable unless looking at decimal points as significant digits in terms of appreciation.

You're second statement could be true, to you, if you chose it to be. But I giggled. I always giggle when I compare $30 to $900 headphones. I feel silly for even having them. But alas, I like them. It's completely subjective and not rational.

The common misunderstanding on head-fi is that sufficient volume equals sufficiently amped. What's to say that NA Blur's m903 is neutral and yours is in fact colored? Thus your colored sound allows you to enjoy your D2000s, while NA Blur's m903 is similar to that of removing cotton wool from your ears.

"Buying an expensive piece of equipment to do virtually the same thing is pretty silly" - Does this statement ring true for headphones? If I choose to spend $1,000 on a source and $100 on headphones is this as silly or sillier than spending $100 on a source and $1,000 on headphones.

Decimal points and digits are reserved for those of whom purchase gear based on specs, if something has good specs but sounds poor is it still good?

I think what you meant to say with your reply to NA Blur was you don't believe in spending money on a source and don't believe there is a beneficial difference to be had.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:

The common misunderstanding on head-fi is that sufficient volume equals sufficiently amped. What's to say that NA Blur's m903 is neutral and yours is in fact colored? Thus your colored sound allows you to enjoy your D2000s, while NA Blur's m903 is similar to that of removing cotton wool from your ears.

"Buying an expensive piece of equipment to do virtually the same thing is pretty silly" - Does this statement ring true for headphones? If I choose to spend $1,000 on a source and $100 on headphones is this as silly or sillier than spending $100 on a source and $1,000 on headphones.

Decimal points and digits are reserved for those of whom purchase gear based on specs, if something has good specs but sounds poor is it still good?

I think what you meant to say with your reply to NA Blur was you don't believe in spending money on a source and don't believe there is a beneficial difference to be had.

The common misunderstanding is that price of equipment is equal to quality of sound, on head-fi. And then, volume is relative to sufficient amplification. Neither have anything to do with neutrality, which you clearly know. Colored sound doesn't allow anyone to enjoy anything--that's subjective. Where ever you're going with that, isn't going far. Removing cotton wool is quite the stretch, unless you're trying to exaggerate for humor.

And you're near my point, at least, when referring to spending money on source in the sense that the headphone has more to do with resulting sound than source does. Plug some junk buds into your super sources and see what happens. Then let's talk about your thoughts & theory on that.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

The common misunderstanding is that price of equipment is equal to quality of sound, on head-fi. And then, volume is relative to sufficient amplification. Neither have anything to do with neutrality, which you clearly know. Colored sound doesn't allow anyone to enjoy anything--that's subjective. Where ever you're going with that, isn't going far. Removing cotton wool is quite the stretch, unless you're trying to exaggerate for humor.

And you're near my point, at least, when referring to spending money on source in the sense that the headphone has more to do with resulting sound than source does. Plug some junk buds into your super sources and see what happens. Then let's talk about your thoughts & theory on that.

But yet you hold a special place for headphones? I admit that switching headphones will give you the biggest 'difference' in sound, if you're looking to experience 'different' sounds you should indeed audition multiple headphones. However if you're in it for the music, a better source will yield a better sound 'quality'. Unfortunately this is something amiss with the iPod generation.

The majority of digital converters are built around op-amps, switch out these $5 chips and you've got yourself a different sounding unit. This is a colored sound, reviews on such units are actually on the chips, choosing one op-amp unit over another comes down to how cool the exterior looks. They're all the same; from my $100 Zero DAC to the much talked about Yulong D100, they all share the same colored sound. A source like the m903 is built on a fully discrete circuit proving not only a non-colored sound, but much better sound quality.

You can eeny, meeny, miny, moe it and choose a Matrix Cube DAC, make EQ altering comments to match such quality sources and suggest a tin-sounding D2000 as a quality headphone, but all it's doing is showing how new you are too the game.

I really don't mean to be rude although I know I'm stubbornly blunt at times, the same albeit small benefits that are to be had from a $300 headphone to a $1,300 are also found at the source. In closing whether these advantages are something you can justify or not doesn't mean they don't exist.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 38

Good midrange, sharp highs, tight bass. Sounds like you're screaming for a Grado, specifically the HF2 or RS1.

Quote:
I'm thinking of making a change from my DT990 250 ohm. I have loved them in the short time i have owned them but there are some things that slightly niggle me about them. I seem to be a rare case as i love the sharp highs (maybe it's coming from the veiled Senn sound), i also like the bass but being a bit of a basshead i feel i would like a little touch more. The biggest problem is i personally don't like the recessed midrange on certain genres mainly Hip-Hop, infact i don't find myself listening to it as it just doesn't sound right.
I find the DT990 really seem to shine when it comes to Trance music but suprisingly to me artists like Norah Jones and Katie Melua seem to sound so liquid and natural. I seem to really like the Beyer sound and am thinking of moving up the line.

I am thinking about these two cans.

Beyerdynamic T70P
Ultrasone Pro 900

I really don't know much about the T70P as it is pretty new i have read everything i could by searching Head-Fi but can't really seem to find a clear comparison between the DT990. I'm really interested to hear how the bass compares, is it tighter clearner how is the quantity, also do the highs still have that sharp edge i seem to love.

Now the Pro 900 i have obviously heard about the mega bass on these but i can't seem to find much about how they perform overall, are they only geared towards bass heavy music or do they excel at soft vocal orientated music aswell.

Sorry it's a bit long but i wanted to get across my preferences so you guys can help me out a bit easier.

Thanks for any help.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #35 of 38
Heya,

Quote:
I really don't mean to be rude

Yes you do. It's ok though. This is the internet. And your ipod generation comment made me giggle heavily, thanks for that; where do you fit in that scheme?

And what was all that supposed to convey? Anything helpful? Or are you just trying to solidify your opinion to yourself?

Edit: You know, never mind. You're not even trying to be helpful, you're just trying to give me a hard time for the sake of it. You don't care what's going on. You won't just say what you literally want to say,  you're just saying jibber and slinging insults and belittling people on the freaking internet, quite the troll you are sir, or maybe just a jerk. You just stopped by because *I* posted. Good for you. I won't reply anymore to you unless you have something interesting or fun to talk about, and not just some lame internet insults and kiddie comments. No one is talking at all about my equipment. You are though. You clearly are not even reading anything. Good bye Troll.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #36 of 38
Graphicism, take a look at the comment that you took offense with:

Quote:
Send me your m903 and I'll give ya the text wall.
tongue_smile.gif

More realistically, if an amp is coloring your sound in some way, a small EQ change will likely mimic it from amp to amp unless it's an issue of available power. Kind of like how tube rolling is really just a hardware way to equalizing in many respects. Just take a really clean DAC and a powerful enough amp to push your headphone and then just enjoy it. Beyond that, it's time for a new headphone. Then again, it's clear I don't just tweak a single headphone. I end up having... tons of headphones. Bleh. Heh.

Very best,

Really read it this time.  What Mal said was that EQ can be used to color a neutral amp to your liking.  Mid paragraph you'll notice that he also stated that this required "a really clean DAC".  No where in this statement did he imply that an E11 could be EQ'd to sound like the m903.  What he did say is that with very clear, high quality source and neutral, powerful amp one could use EQ to "mimic" (not clone) the different variations of amp coloring.  Analyze before you lash out.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:
Yes you do. It's ok though. This is the internet. And your ipod generation comment made me giggle heavily, thanks for that; where do you fit in that scheme? 
And what was all that supposed to convey? Anything helpful? Or are you just trying to solidify your opinion to yourself?

where do you fit in that scheme... I believe a source should be more than an afterthought. I'm not a headphone collector but a music lover. And rudeness conveys through your mindless prolific response and failing to reply to questions when asked kindly.

Quote:
Really read it this time.  What Mal said was that EQ can be used to color a neutral amp to your liking.  Mid paragraph you'll notice that he also stated that this required "a really clean DAC".  No where in this statement did he imply that an E11 could be EQ'd to sound like the m903.  What he did say is that with very clear, high quality source and neutral, powerful amp one could use EQ to "mimic" (not clone) the different variations of amp coloring.  Analyze before you lash out.

And it's complete and utter hogwash. I'm saying his source and amp are highly colored, so even if it were possibly to "mimic" another amp and source, which it isn't, he certainly isn't in neutral zone. Furthermore I'm trying to explain to Mal this is why he hears different things from myself and NA Blur; a colored source, colored amp and a colored headphone equals a colored opinion, one he doesn't like questioned.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #38 of 38
ohh you changed your avatar.  i knew i recognized that argumentative style from somewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back