Need help choosing comfortable $70 - $80 headphones for alternative/rock
Jul 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to try to take a small step forward

1. Comfort is a big concern for me. I'd like something with velour/comfortable pads that don't get sweaty/sticky/scratchy. I like both Super-Aural or Circumaural (nothing like Grados 

2. I'm looking for a open headphone with a half decent soundstage for a bit of gaming and music. I do 50% single player gaming and 50% competitive. But I want something relatively bassy for music if possible

3. Portability isn't a concern

4. This is unimportant but I really like AKG headbands so maybe something that fits my needs from this company would be lovely (again this is unimportant, just threw this in here)

I use Superlux HD681 and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S ATM

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi,

It is difficult to find a really good open headphone at this price that isn't a Grado. 
The Sennheiser HD518 costs about 130$ and satisfies all of your requirements; however, personally I would spend the extra 50$ on a HD558. Another possibility is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or Goldring DR150, but those don't have the best bass.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Hi,

It is difficult to find a really good open headphone at this price that isn't a Grado. 
The Sennheiser HD518 costs about 130$ and satisfies all of your requirements; however, personally I would spend the extra 50$ on a HD558. Another possibility is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or Goldring DR150, but those don't have the best bass.

The 518 look promising. Thanks.

@ Arvan

I'm looking for an open phone, those are closed.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Open, bassy...in this price range that would probably be the Fischer Audio FA-011.  The revised version from GD Audiobase has improved comfort in the pads according to the latest reports:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end/1785  Note that I am not recommending them since I haven't heard them, just letting you know these exist if you haven't already noticed them. 

There are a couple of obvious downsides.  The headphones cost $130, but I don't know shipping costs from Russia.  And you'd need to be patient, as these take a while to reach you by all accounts. 

Also, you'd need an amp most likely, unless you've got a good soundcard for headphones already.

The only AKG's that might fit your needs/price would be the AKG K240 Mk II with the velour pads, but they are just over your stated price range...$133 at Amazon right now.  But the K240's are semi-open, not fully open, and while the soundstage isn't bad, it isn't huge either.  Decent bass, and I like them for gaming and movies both.  They will work ok without an amp but will improve slightly with one. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Open, bassy...in this price range that would probably be the Fischer Audio FA-011.  The revised version from GD Audiobase has improved comfort in the pads according to the latest reports:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end/1785  Note that I am not recommending them since I haven't heard them, just letting you know these exist if you haven't already noticed them. 

There are a couple of obvious downsides.  The headphones cost $130, but I don't know shipping costs from Russia.  And you'd need to be patient, as these take a while to reach you by all accounts. 

Also, you'd need an amp most likely, unless you've got a good soundcard for headphones already.

The only AKG's that might fit your needs/price would be the AKG K240 Mk II with the velour pads, but they are just over your stated price range...$133 at Amazon right now.  But the K240's are semi-open, not fully open, and while the soundstage isn't bad, it isn't huge either.  Decent bass, and I like them for gaming and movies both.  They will work ok without an amp but will improve slightly with one. 

How is the AKG 240's bass compared to something, lets say the Superlux HD681/668b/Panasonic rphtf600 

I'll be running it out of an Asus Xonar DG. But I don't think it actually has an amp, I heard it just increases the gain?

Plus they're only $3 more and I get free shipping with amazon so :)

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 14
I disliked the Pansonic HTF600 quite a lot, mostly because I didn't like the overbearing bass and the muddiness of the sound throughout.  The K240's don't have the same quantity of bass, but in terms of clarity, they are a very large step up.  Some people say these headphones have a slightly warm tone, but they are nowhere near what my Porta Pro's or CAL's have, and are closer to neutral than any of my other current headphones.  They have a slightly laid back presentation.

Never heard the Superluxes, so can't help with them.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I disliked the Pansonic HTF600 quite a lot, mostly because I didn't like the overbearing bass and the muddiness of the sound throughout.  The K240's don't have the same quantity of bass, but in terms of clarity, they are a very large step up.  Some people say these headphones have a slightly warm tone, but they are nowhere near what my Porta Pro's or CAL's have, and are closer to neutral than any of my other current headphones.  They have a slightly laid back presentation.

Never heard the Superluxes, so can't help with them.

Thanks. As long as they aren't bassless.  

So the AKG vs the Sennheiser 518, which is better?

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I have bad news. My budget just got reduced to about $80

I'll take off the velour pads on what I'm looking for as long as the pleather is comfy,soft and doesn't get sweaty or stick to your head.

I was thinking the AKG 240 (not MKII) I have some relatively comfy pads I bought for my old superlux which will fit the fit these. Are there any cans I could get for this price?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 14
If you have tried the 668B, I dunno whether AKG 240's sound signature is very different from it. I can't find the FR Graphs. But maybe, just maybe, they are not for you. Some research is needed.

For $80 - open headphones...oh no...nothing much to say...but Grado !

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
If you have tried the 668B, I dunno whether AKG 240's sound signature is very different from it. I can't find the FR Graphs. But maybe, just maybe, they are not for you. Some research is needed.

For $80 - open headphones...oh no...nothing much to say...but Grado !

But I have heard they're really uncomfortable and they have a poor soundstage. I've heard the 668b/681 sound similar to Beyerdynamics.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 14
Grado's comfort is hit and miss and depends on the earpads used. The soundstage is also dependent on the earpads used, but it will never be like a Beyerdynamic DT990 or Audio Technica AD-series headphone in terms of soundstage.

Perhaps try a Takstar HI2050. There is also always the Koss UR40, but to be honest, I'm not sure either would be an upgrade over the Superluxes you have.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Grado's comfort is hit and miss and depends on the earpads used. The soundstage is also dependent on the earpads used, but it will never be like a Beyerdynamic DT990 or Audio Technica AD-series headphone in terms of soundstage.

Perhaps try a Takstar HI2050. There is also always the Koss UR40, but to be honest, I'm not sure either would be an upgrade over the Superluxes you have.

I may just sidegrade again, Takstar looks nice and comfy and its under budget.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Exactly...not sure whether its an upgrade. But can be considered. 

There is a huge Grado modding community ... i am sure u will find comfort somewhere. I've seen all sorts of mods...

Anyways, cheerz !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back