Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,416 of 4,841
Quote:

hey Joe. Sorry let me clarify. What i meant was that i was considering purchasing a JH13 still in a the JH Audio shell. But since the reshell would be done by a different company like unique melody, would there be some level of difference in the sound?

also there doesnt happen to be a UM office in North america is there...

I think average_joe was exactly spot on. There's no way you might know - you cannot cram the original earpieces into your ears without reshelling, and because of that you cannot get an idea of what the original sound signature is like, thus no base for comparison with the sound signature of the pair after reshelling.

To my knowledge, the company doing the reshelling does not merely take out the drivers and put them in the moulds and call that a day. They do measure the frequencies pre and post and do try to match them as closely as possible. Of course, frequencies alone do not tell the whole story, but at least there's something for them to work with. UM and JHA both use acrylic shells on their CIEMs, so my 2 cent is that normally the sonic difference would be negligible.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,418 of 4,841
Quote:
I don't think that would sound like the R-50 anymore...

If it's really sounds like R-50 then it wouldn't be an upgrade. I used R-50 as a base point to help anyone understand the sound signature i like. Sorry if it confused you 
tongue.gif

The NT-6 bass is neutral, fast and articulate, however it is also powerful when necessary and has an impressive amount of note sustainment when a track calls for it.  While the sound signature will be similar to the R-50, you also get a robust bottom end that, in contrast to TWFK IEMs, can sound bass heavy, but it is actually the lack of capability with the TWFK.  The Lear LCM-5 also has a similar sound signature, but not quite as bright, detailed, or capable in the low end as the NT-6.

Thank you so much!
I'm already addicted to R-50's treble extension and if LCM-5 couldn't do that much, I'm sure i'll be disappointed =(
Now I only have to wait for someone to compare the C-4 to NT-6.
This is somehow, a rare match up...

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,419 of 4,841
Quote:

hey Joe. Sorry let me clarify. What i meant was that i was considering purchasing a JH13 still in a the JH Audio shell. But since the reshell would be done by a different company like unique melody, would there be some level of difference in the sound?

I think he means the sound MAY change, especially the JH13 Freqphase version lately imo.

Quote:
If it's really sounds like R-50 then it wouldn't be an upgrade. I used R-50 as a base point to help anyone understand the sound signature i like. Sorry if it confused you 
tongue.gif

Thank you so much!
I'm already addicted to R-50's treble extension and if LCM-5 couldn't do that much, I'm sure i'll be disappointed =(

I think joe haven't mentioned about the treble extension about the LCM-5 tho?

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,421 of 4,841
Quote:
Just got my Alclair reference monitor, amazing, fit was better on left ear, right ear just needed a little clear nail polish to thicken them up. Sound wise too early to tell but impressed by my first custom. I got the pelican case with them and they were a bargain at $330 with custom artwork. I shall review them at some point, thaks for helping me pick my first custom, very satisfied

Congrats on your first CIEM.  I am glad to hear you like it, which model did you get, the Duals or Duals XB?

Quote:

Quote:
I think average_joe was exactly spot on. There's no way you might know - you cannot cram the original earpieces into your ears without reshelling, and because of that you cannot get an idea of what the original sound signature is like, thus no base for comparison with the sound signature of the pair after reshelling.

To my knowledge, the company doing the reshelling does not merely take out the drivers and put them in the moulds and call that a day. They do measure the frequencies pre and post and do try to match them as closely as possible. Of course, frequencies alone do not tell the whole story, but at least there's something for them to work with. UM and JHA both use acrylic shells on their CIEMs, so my 2 cent is that normally the sonic difference would be negligible.

Quote:
Suggest you get in touch with Stephen Guo
http://custom-iem.com/

Yes, 3nenbgumi restated what I meant, thank you!  Reshelling should result in a similar sound, but then on the off chance that something does go wrong, how would you know?  Of course, there are many people that are happy with their reshelled CIEMs and UM does good work.  As long as they use the same parts and keep the sound tubes similar in length and put the filters in exactly the same spot, you should be fine.  

The treble of my TF10 reshell was not true to the original, but pushing the dampers a few millimeters closer to the drivers changed the treble back to the original sound, which is an example of how the sound can change in a reshell.

As Mython suggested, do contact Stephen.

Quote:
tongue.gif

Thank you so much!

I am not sure about the treble extension of the R-50, but the LCM-5 performs well in treble extension, which I test by ear with test tones.

I too would be interested in a C-4 to NT-6 or C-4 to LCM-5 comparison.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,422 of 4,841
I got the triple driver Reference like you reviewed, but they may send me another model to review in the future which would be awesome. Their flagship model looks interesting and would love to review it, first I'l review these though .

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,424 of 4,841
I was using Alien Ears C3s for a year and thought they were great, super clear with massive bottom.  I sent them back to upgrade to the G8s (which added a high driver) and I couldn't be more pleased.  The sound is nothing short of amazing and the service was "right on"  I highly recommend Alien Ears for both quality and customer service.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,425 of 4,841
My Alclairs shipped a couple of days ago, and they should be around in 2 weeks (Canadian shipping speeds)! The customer service was excellent. Amy from Alclair was very responsive and professional, and they made the IEMs pretty darn fast too! I placed the order on the 30th, and it was ready on the 11th. Now, I wait for'em to get here, and jump into the world of customs!

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,426 of 4,841
My Alclairs shipped a couple of days ago, and they should be around in 2 weeks (Canadian shipping speeds)! The customer service was excellent. Amy from Alclair was very responsive and professional, and they made the IEMs pretty darn fast too! I placed the order on the 30th, and it was ready on the 11th. Now, I wait for'em to get here, and jump into the world of customs!

Also the reference monitors?
You will enjoy them, im interested in their flagship model too.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,428 of 4,841
Quote:
I was using Alien Ears C3s for a year and thought they were great, super clear with massive bottom.  I sent them back to upgrade to the G8s (which added a high driver) and I couldn't be more pleased.  The sound is nothing short of amazing and the service was "right on"  I highly recommend Alien Ears for both quality and customer service.

Could you give us some impressions on the sound signature?

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,430 of 4,841
Some new stuff:

Has anyone heard the SE 4-way from Spiral Ear? 

Not that I know of.  Per Grzegorz, it is more bass heavy than the 5-way.

Quote:
Joe are you getting the Alclair RSM?

Yes, should be arriving soon...
Quote:
Yeah, the Reference. I thought long and hard about their flagship model, but I decided to stick with the Reference.

Congrats, I am looking forward to your thoughts when the arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back