Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2,313 of 4,841
[size=medium]I play bass guitar for our worship team, mostly contemporary Christian worship.  We use Aviom personal stage mixers and I am looking to get my first pair of CIEMs to improve the sound I hear on stage.  I would like recommendations as to which pair would suit my use the best.  They will primarily be used for bass practice and playing live to an audience of +/- 200.   I would like to spend well under a $1,000 but would begrudgingly consider going up to that amount if it was necessary to get a suitable pair of CIEMs.  [/size]

[size=medium]I really appreciate your reviews and posts but I am a total audio novice and don’t really understand all of the terminology used to describe the traits of the different models in the reviews i.e. fluid, forward, warm, cold, natural, neutral, thick, thin etc…  Even if I did, I would be hard pressed to be able to say with confidence that I prefer one over another.  With so many posts and models I am a little overwhelmed with information.  [/size]

[size=medium]Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I hope you have a great day!  Brian[/size]

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,314 of 4,841
Where are you located? If you're in the US I'd recommend first looking at one of the companies located here like Westone, Ultimate Ears, JH Audio or 1964 Ears. I'd probably go for the 1964 Ears V3, but that's very much a personal preference. If you're in a different country I'd first look at the customs that are available there locally.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,315 of 4,841
[size=medium][size=13.5pt]Thank you for your recommendations. That is still a lot to look through [/size][size=13.5pt]J[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]I live near Sacramento, CA.[/size]

[size=medium][size=13.5pt]I really like the idea that 1964 was founded for the purpose of providing affordable CIEMs to worship musicians.  If I were to end up going with 1964s, would there be any real value for me in stepping up to a quad or six driver model? i.e. Is there anything that makes one better suited for stage use? Is there anything that you can think of that I would want to steer towards or away from as live bass player. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=13.5pt]Thanks again for your help![/size][/size]

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,316 of 4,841
Quote:
[size=medium]I play bass guitar for our worship team, mostly contemporary Christian worship.  We use Aviom personal stage mixers and I am looking to get my first pair of CIEMs to improve the sound I hear on stage.  I would like recommendations as to which pair would suit my use the best.  They will primarily be used for bass practice and playing live to an audience of +/- 200.   I would like to spend well under a $1,000 but would begrudgingly consider going up to that amount if it was necessary to get a suitable pair of CIEMs.  [/size]

[size=medium]I really appreciate your reviews and posts but I am a total audio novice and don’t really understand all of the terminology used to describe the traits of the different models in the reviews i.e. fluid, forward, warm, cold, natural, neutral, thick, thin etc…  Even if I did, I would be hard pressed to be able to say with confidence that I prefer one over another.  With so many posts and models I am a little overwhelmed with information.  [/size]

[size=medium]Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I hope you have a great day!  Brian[/size]

Welcome and thank you for your post Brian.

Are you currently using IEMs on stage, and if so, which IEMs?  Why do you want to get a CIEM vs. a universal IEM?  Can you describe in your own words what you are looking for (doesn't have to match any particular type of description on here)?  

Typically, musicians don't want too bright of a sound and there are several CIEMs below $1K that offer that.  The V3, which was suggested, may be a good choice, as could be the Alclair Reference.  I believe joker has reviewed the V3 and compared with the Reference.  If you can provide more information, it should be easier to help steer you in the right direction.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,318 of 4,841
[size=medium]Hi Joe,[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you for your response.  Yes, I do wear IEMs on stage now.  I have tried the Klipsch S4ii, a couple pairs that were a little more expensive but no more effective and a pair of Sony’s with over the ear clips that I don’t see the model type on them.  I currently use the Sony’s because they stay on the best.  I am not opposed to sticking with IEMs vs CIEMs but here are my primary issues with the IEMs that I have tried so far.  [/size]
  1. [size=medium]All of them, except for the Sony’s get pulled loose (partially and/or completely) while I play and since our drummer uses a Roland Digital drum set, I can’t hear the drums without having the phones on.  I do use cord clips that does help a bit but not well enough.[/size]
  2. [size=medium]The louder the crowd gets the less I can hear the band in the IEMs.  This causes me to turn up the volume to points that are very uncomfortable.  This is worse with the Sony’s because they don’t seal well to begin with.[/size]
  3. [size=medium]After I turn up the volume to counter the increasing room volume, sounds feel like they smash together and picking one instrument out of the whole gets very difficult for me.[/size]
[size=medium]So those are the primary issues: Needing to turn up the volume to counter room noise and pulling loose.  While I like the idea of those models being less than 500, I don’t want to skimp and be left with an ineffective pair or monitors.  In my experience you rarely get more than you pay for J[/size] If they will work; that would be awesome too as I love good value!  The key word there being Value.

[size=medium]What am I looking for in an in-ear monitor: [/size]
  1. [size=medium]something that I will be able to disseminate between the various instruments[/size]
  2. [size=medium]something that stays in,[/size]
  3. [size=medium]keeps the outside noise out, [/size]
  4. [size=medium]be able to hear the drummer and my bass,[/size]
  5. [size=medium]be able to turn down the volume and still hear the bass and drums when playing in less noisy environments (solo practice)[/size]
[size=medium]So there you have it; I want a unicorn J[/size]

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,319 of 4,841
This might be a long shot but can anyone compare the 1964 Q and the Rooth LS4. I read joe's impression of the LS4 demo and it sounds interesting, I also heard the Q demo a few days ago and really enjoyed it but I'm wondering which is the better all rounder.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2,320 of 4,841
I don't know if Cosmic Ears has been mentioned much in this thread, but they are certainly worth taking a look at (particularly for the european members).  I posted the below in the main CE thread but figured it would be worth repeating here :-

"Well for some reason getting customs has been a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE)pita for me personally.  First there was Fisher (inearz), then Minerva.  Both tried and failed to varying degrees (I won't bore you with the details, if your that bored you can look up the relevant threads if you like!).  For some reason my right ear (and anyone who knows me should know that that shouldn't be a surprise!) has been the cause of massive problems for me.  Phil and Cosmic Ears have gone above and beyond for me.  Whilst I still do not have a set of customs progress is slowly but surely being made.  I just wanted to give a big thanks in this thread.  Other companies could also take a leaf out of Cosmic Ears attitude towards the email address as well!

Here's wishing a merry christmas and a prosperous new year to everyone at Cosmic Ears.  Let's hope they have a really successful 2013 :)

".

For anyone not sure about customs or don't want to spend too much (ha!) then these could be a great alternative.

Cheers

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #2,321 of 4,841
Quote:
[size=medium]Hi Joe,[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you for your response.  Yes, I do wear IEMs on stage now.  I have tried the Klipsch S4ii, a couple pairs that were a little more expensive but no more effective and a pair of Sony’s with over the ear clips that I don’t see the model type on them.  I currently use the Sony’s because they stay on the best.  I am not opposed to sticking with IEMs vs CIEMs but here are my primary issues with the IEMs that I have tried so far.  [/size]
  1. [size=medium]All of them, except for the Sony’s get pulled loose (partially and/or completely) while I play and since our drummer uses a Roland Digital drum set, I can’t hear the drums without having the phones on.  I do use cord clips that does help a bit but not well enough.[/size]
  2. [size=medium]The louder the crowd gets the less I can hear the band in the IEMs.  This causes me to turn up the volume to points that are very uncomfortable.  This is worse with the Sony’s because they don’t seal well to begin with.[/size]
  3. [size=medium]After I turn up the volume to counter the increasing room volume, sounds feel like they smash together and picking one instrument out of the whole gets very difficult for me.[/size]
[size=medium]So those are the primary issues: Needing to turn up the volume to counter room noise and pulling loose.  While I like the idea of those models being less than 500, I don’t want to skimp and be left with an ineffective pair or monitors.  In my experience you rarely get more than you pay for J[/size] If they will work; that would be awesome too as I love good value!  The key word there being Value.

[size=medium]What am I looking for in an in-ear monitor: [/size]
  1. [size=medium]something that I will be able to disseminate between the various instruments[/size]
  2. [size=medium]something that stays in,[/size]
  3. [size=medium]keeps the outside noise out, [/size]
  4. [size=medium]be able to hear the drummer and my bass,[/size]
  5. [size=medium]be able to turn down the volume and still hear the bass and drums when playing in less noisy environments (solo practice)[/size]
[size=medium]So there you have it; I want a unicorn J[/size]

It seems like everything you have tried will be quite different than CIEMs in the 500 price point.  If you can handle the S4, which has a less than smooth treble, (and from what I know the S4ii changes are build quality related), then you should be able to handle treble of something like the Audio Earz aud-5X.

But before I get too far ahead of myself, let me address your second set of bullet points.
  1. All CIEMs I have heard will separate instruments much better than what you have used.  Balanced armature drivers are very good at that!
  2. CIEMs stay in quite well, at least when a proper fit is achieved
  3. Silicone is the best for that, but acrylic is also better than most universals.
  4. If you choose the right model (something with bass capability), you should be able to hear everything clearly.
  5. CIEMs should allow you to do this no problem
Essentially, what you have described is what CIEMs do!

OK, now for some recommendations with reasoning:
aud-5X - I think the aud-5X has an exceptional price/performance ratio and the bass is very capable.  Plus, Mitch will bend over backwards for you, he is great and an active musician (drummer).  The 7X might be another option as it has mids and treble like the ES5, but bass like the 5X as it uses 3 bass drivers.
ACS T2 - I am very impressed with the T1 Live!, and have read good things about the T2.  The shell is silicone, so it will offer more isolation than acrylic.  High price for a dual ($800)
Sensaphonics - I demoed the 2-max and 3-max and thought the 2-max was better.  The key to my recommendation here is the silicone shell, which will isolate very well, plus, from my experience.  But, the 2-max has a steep price for a dual driver ($850).
Alclair - Marc from Alclair is great and offers exceptional value.  His Reference was well reviewed by myself and joker, and he has many other monitors.  He is very friendly and would be happy to help you figure out which model of his best fits your needs.
1964 V3 - joker has reviewed the V3 and I believe there is a comparison between the V3 and Alclair Reference.  I really can't comment too much since I don't own them.
Ambient Acoustics AM4 - I reviewed the AM4 pro, which is more neutral than the AM4, and it performed stellar for the price, but they are in the Ukraine. 

With what I listed, the decision comes down to how much you want to spend, and what is more important to you, ultimate isolation from silicone with good performance or better performance with a bit less isolation.  You can ask the companies that make acrylic shelled CIEMs to fill the canal for a bit more isolation as well as making the canal longer.

There are universals that are in the price range of some of the lower end CIEMs, but the isolation probably won't be as good, and for me comfort is much better with CIEMs.  

If you can wait until NAMM and if you can get in, you can demo Sensaphonics, UE, Westone, and a few others.

Quote:
This might be a long shot but can anyone compare the 1964 Q and the Rooth LS4. I read joe's impression of the LS4 demo and it sounds interesting, I also heard the Q demo a few days ago and really enjoyed it but I'm wondering which is the better all rounder.

I don't think anyone on here has the LS4, but I would guess it is slightly brighter than the Q, but without hearing both I can't say for sure.

Quote:
I don't know if Cosmic Ears has been mentioned much in this thread, but they are certainly worth taking a look at (particularly for the european members).  I posted the below in the main CE thread but figured it would be worth repeating here :-

"Well for some reason getting customs has been a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE)pita for me personally.  First there was Fisher (inearz), then Minerva.  Both tried and failed to varying degrees (I won't bore you with the details, if your that bored you can look up the relevant threads if you like!).  For some reason my right ear (and anyone who knows me should know that that shouldn't be a surprise!) has been the cause of massive problems for me.  Phil and Cosmic Ears have gone above and beyond for me.  Whilst I still do not have a set of customs progress is slowly but surely being made.  I just wanted to give a big thanks in this thread.  Other companies could also take a leaf out of Cosmic Ears attitude towards the email address as well!

Here's wishing a merry christmas and a prosperous new year to everyone at Cosmic Ears.  Let's hope they have a really successful 2013 :)

".

For anyone not sure about customs or don't want to spend too much (ha!) then these could be a great alternative.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing and I hope you end up with something that works for you and you like.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #2,322 of 4,841
Wow, thank you very much!  That is more than I could have asked for.  Glad to hear that there are so many good options for me in this range.  I will take a closer look at these recommendations and pick one.  Thank you again again and I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Brian

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #2,323 of 4,841
Quote:
Wow, that color look really nice.
Would you mind comparing the 1964V6 with your NT6 Pro when you listen more? :p

The V6 is really a steal for 650$. It can almost match the NT6 Pro in clarity. Very close. But they are far from burned in. I have only used them for like 3 hours maybe. The V6 has alot more bass than I thought they would have. More than the NT6 Pro but less than Wan Xuan I9 Pro. Mids are more forward compared to the NT6 and the soundstage is a little bit smaller. Need to burn in the V6 more.

I found them both better in everyway than Heir 8A and Westone ES5.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2,324 of 4,841
Quote:

The V6 is really a steal for 650$. It can almost match the NT6 Pro in clarity. Very close. But they are far from burned in. I have only used them for like 3 hours maybe. The V6 has alot more bass than I thought they would have. More than the NT6 Pro but less than Wan Xuan I9 Pro. Mids are more forward compared to the NT6 and the soundstage is a little bit smaller. Need to burn in the V6 more.

I found them both better in everyway than Heir 8A and Westone ES5.

Which did you think was better than the ES5 and 8A? If the V6 is really better than those, I will need a look at them :O

How is the bass quantity compared to the 8A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back