Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Mar 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,278 of 4,841
Apparently I got a deal from Rooth that they would allow me to return the LS8 if I don't like it. I would only lose like shipping fees, etc.
and I would have to travel across the city and spend the time to find an audiologist to make my ear impressions.
Basically, I'm only going to be using 320 kbps mp3 but with good master recording. i'm mostly going to be using iPod touch as sources. I'm not going to be using amp either.
So I am just asking of according your judgment/prediction that will the LS8 outperform FX700 on 320 kbps mp3 on iphone/ipod touch?

and another thing, how does the LS8 or other custom sound from a computer?

Hi. Since ls8 is a multi driver iem, you are most likely going to have coherence issue when they are underpowered. Im using jh16pro which is another multidriver iem. So far i find that you can still use it without an amp through pc and ipod but like i said before you will not hear the drivers are coherence and you have to turn the volume up a bit.
Comparing to universal they will still have higher sound quality even when underpowered.
Dont worry bout whether if it is 320 kbps or lossless. They are overated as in the end they are only a file format. Recording quality is more important.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #1,279 of 4,841
Quote:
Ah, so they do exist!

Yeah, I handled it at the same place. Even though they didn't fit Sinocelt's ears, they fit mine, almost perfectly. The ear canals on them are a little shorter than average, presumably to fit more ears. I also can't really comment, though, as the left earpiece had driver problems and nothing sounded right.

Quote:
Apparently I got a deal from Rooth that they would allow me to return the LS8 if I don't like it. I would only lose like shipping fees, etc.

How did you get them to agree with that? Did you go thru a dealer? In my dealings with them, they're pretty rude to e-mail inquiries and questions, replying in only curt, one-liners (this is in Chinese, so it's not a language thing). They also seem a little inflexible in their business model. That's why it's recommended that Rooth be dealt with through the dealers like Rooth or HFI. Good for you, I guess.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #1,280 of 4,841
Quote:

Yeah, I handled it at the same place. Even though they didn't fit Sinocelt's ears, they fit mine, almost perfectly. The ear canals on them are a little shorter than average, presumably to fit more ears. I also can't really comment, though, as the left earpiece had driver problems and nothing sounded right.

I had problems with the left earpiece too, but I thought it was only because the only way I could get a seal was by crushing my ears with my palms.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,281 of 4,841

Quote:
and I would have to travel across the city and spend the time to find an audiologist to make my ear impressions.
Basically, I'm only going to be using 320 kbps mp3 but with good master recording. i'm mostly going to be using iPod touch as sources. I'm not going to be using amp either.
So I am just asking of according your judgment/prediction that will the LS8 outperform FX700 on 320 kbps mp3 on iphone/ipod touch?

and another thing, how does the LS8 or other custom sound from a computer?

Sounds like it is a no brainer to at least try.  Sure, there is some initial money outlay, but who else is going to let you try an expensive CIEM like that, molded for your ears?  If it works for you, great.  If not, at least you know.  The only person that can really answer your questions is you.

The performance of a CIEM vs. a universal from a phone or iPod is dependent on the CIEM, but in the case of the LS8, I am sure you will hear a difference and at least more detail, speed, etc.  It is like going form the Copper to the CK10, but you get even more detail and better imaging with bass that, while not to the same extend (especially the warmth), is prominent.  One thought is that since you are always comparing to two bass heavy IEMs, the bass region is a question.  It may take a week or two to adjust to the presentation of the LS8, and that is when you should judge it IMO.

Most computer sound cards I have used have hiss with my CIEMs, but not all.

Quote:
Hi. Since ls8 is a multi driver iem, you are most likely going to have coherence issue when they are underpowered. Im using jh16pro which is another multidriver iem. So far i find that you can still use it without an amp through pc and ipod but like i said before you will not hear the drivers are coherence and you have to turn the volume up a bit.
Comparing to universal they will still have higher sound quality even when underpowered.
Dont worry bout whether if it is 320 kbps or lossless. They are overated as in the end they are only a file format. Recording quality is more important.

The tuning/crossover also comes into play and I find the LS8 coherence is a bit better than the JH16 in general.  And I agree with pretty much everything you said (except lossless of a good master is much preferred to my ears).

Quote:

How did you get them to agree with that? Did you go thru a dealer? In my dealings with them, they're pretty rude to e-mail inquiries and questions, replying in only curt, one-liners (this is in Chinese, so it's not a language thing). They also seem a little inflexible in their business model. That's why it's recommended that Rooth be dealt with through the dealers like Rooth or HFI. Good for you, I guess.

Wow, issues with ACS demos.  And it seems they are everywhere!

My experience direct with Rooth was kurt, but I wouldn't say rude.  Tomo from HFI is very helpful!

Quote:
I had problems with the left earpiece too, but I thought it was only because the only way I could get a seal was by crushing my ears with my palms.

Ha.  I have used the "crushing my ears with my palms" to hear many custom IEM demos and shells molded for others ears!

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,282 of 4,841

Quote:
Ha.  I have used the "crushing my ears with my palms" to hear many custom IEM demos and shells molded for others ears!

So, as well as:

- Marital disharmony
- Financial ruin
- Addiction

can we now add

- Masochism

to the litany of symptoms / side-effects oft-levelled at those afflicted with Head-Fieritis? 
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,283 of 4,841
On the topic of forcing a temporary seal with custom IEMs that don't fit, Future Sonics 'Canal Builder' is a viable solution to the problem:

http://www.futuresonics.com/FSaccessories.html

I'm also guessing one could crudely achieve results, on a very short-term basis, through the use of 'Blu-tack':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #1,285 of 4,841
It's also just occurred to me that PTFE plumbers' tape might offer a very short-term (one-time-only) but more easily-available solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

Only thing with this stuff, though, is it's not soft and spongy, so if one needed to build rather a lot onto an IEM to achieve a good fit, PTFE tape probably wouldn't be ideal.

On the plus side, it's extremely cheap and it isn't sticky, so it won't leave residue on the IEM.

...I'm also wondering about possibly trying to use a band-aid, since although (on the negative side) it is likely to leave some sticky residue on the IEM, a band-aid does (on the plus side) incorporate some spongy padding material, which could work quite nicely to fill out a listener's ear canal and thus form a good seal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-Aid

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,286 of 4,841

Quote:
So, as well as:

- Marital disharmony
- Financial ruin
- Addiction

can we now add

- Masochism

to the litany of symptoms / side-effects oft-levelled at those afflicted with Head-Fieritis? 
blink.gif

lol.  And it isn't masochism, it is expanding one's horizons!

Quote:
It's also just occurred to me that PTFE plumbers' tape might offer a very short-term (one-time-only) but more easily-available solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

Only thing with this stuff, though, is it's not soft and spongy, so if one needed to build rather a lot onto an IEM to achieve a good fit, PTFE tape probably wouldn't be ideal.

On the plus side, it's extremely cheap and it isn't sticky, so it won't leave residue on the IEM.

...I'm also wondering about possibly trying to use a band-aid, since although (on the negative side) it is likely to leave some sticky residue on the IEM, a band-aid does (on the plus side) incorporate some spongy padding material, which could work quite nicely to fill out a listener's ear canal and thus form a good seal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-Aid

Thanks for sharing.  The canal builder product link didn't work for me, though.  

The Teflon tape won't stay in place, unless you cover it with lacquer or something.  I have been looking for a solution and thought non-toxic nail polish would be the best.  I did use some of my wife's regular clear coat nail polish, but half an hour later when I put the CIEMs in my ears (EM3 Pro), the area stung a bit, so I bought this.  It doesn't sting at all and time will tell about the durability.  You could also use a car clear coat, but why risk it?  Nail polish and many clear coats have acrylic in them.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,287 of 4,841

Quote:

Well, I email Rooth directly. I think one of the representatives do know decent amount of English, so I was able to negotiate I guess.

Ok, they still sound normal right? nothing weird when they are underpowered?
As for the recording, I was implying that suppose the track came from good master recording, and then converted into lossless or 320 kbps mp3. Would there be a difference on an iPod?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,289 of 4,841

Quote:
lol.  And it isn't masochism, it is expanding one's horizons!

LMAO! Tell that one to the judge and see if you 'get off' without punishment! 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.  The canal builder product link didn't work for me, though.  

Yeah, but my guess is, if you speak to FS, they'll hook you up with some, even if the weblink isn't working.

Quote:

The Teflon tape won't stay in place, unless you cover it with lacquer or something. 

Oh sure, I totally agree; that suggestion was literally for the purposes of a one-off demo of someone's CIEM, nothing more than that.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,290 of 4,841

Quote:
Well, I email Rooth directly. I think one of the representatives do know decent amount of English, so I was able to negotiate I guess.

Ok, they still sound normal right? nothing weird when they are underpowered?
As for the recording, I was implying that suppose the track came from good master recording, and then converted into lossless or 320 kbps mp3. Would there be a difference on an iPod?

Nothing weird, and check out my volume section in my review if you haven't already.

Quote:
If you want to tight your seal. I'd suggest buying profesional (for hearing aid industr.) UV curable lacquer. Or going to local audiologist to do it for you. Effect would be better than anything else

Yea, probably the best way to go, but I want to see how my experiment goes, long term.

Quote:
Oh sure, I totally agree; that suggestion was literally for the purposes of a one-off demo of someone's CIEM, nothing more than that.

OK, for that application those methods may work (except the teflon plumbers tape) .  I have stretched a silicone ear tip on the CIEM to overcome a large size difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back