Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #332 of 4,841
I'm 18 and would love to get a pair of customs. However the fact that ears change frequently, especially at a younger age, prevent me from doing so. Can someone give a general age time-line to better understand how frequently the average ears change and ruin customs?

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #333 of 4,841
By 18 they are starting to slow down. Generally the breaking point is 16-18 when you can be safe to get customs that will last you at least 2-3 years before a refit is needed. If you continue to use these customs after that, you will start to get more time between refits, but it will never fit forever. I think the average for a fully grown adult is about 3-6 years between refits, but ymmv.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #335 of 4,841
I'd ask your mother if she thinks you are finished growing, she'll have a better idea than even you will. Some finish sooner than others. Michael Jordan grew 6 inches after high school.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #337 of 4,841
- good point guys. i thought it could be even better that way, but i don't have that much ka-ching to wander off that path of uncertainty... anyone has a link to the review reshelled SM3s?

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #339 of 4,841

Quote:
I'm 18 and would love to get a pair of customs. However the fact that ears change frequently, especially at a younger age, prevent me from doing so. Can someone give a general age time-line to better understand how frequently the average ears change and ruin customs?

I grew very late - I was 17 when I started! Most people are basically done by 18. Go for for the customs! I ordered a set recently . . . 
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #340 of 4,841

Quote:
- hey guys, has anyone tried shelling two of the same universal IEM into one custom IEM? i'm thinking of reshelling both SM3s i have on hand into one (=

I'd say it's a good idea. Drivers in SM3 are very good for this purpose. AFAIR UM made Mage with additional dual-driver for someone. Your project will be quite similar. Contact UM and they'll guide you. Don't expect your customs to have the same signature as SM3 though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #341 of 4,841

Quote:
 I'd say it's a good idea. Drivers in SM3 are very good for this purpose. AFAIR UM made Mage with additional dual-driver for someone. Your project will be quite similar. Contact UM and they'll guide you. Don't expect your customs to have the same signature as SM3 though.

- ugh, i like how it is, but maybe a little more sparkle and treble extension... 

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #344 of 4,841

Quote:
sparkling treble is something that UM does best :)

Do you mean sparking treble of UM products is the best part of their frequency spectrum, or are you saying UM does treble sparkle best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back