Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #286 of 4,841
Hello all :)

I need some advice, i'd like to buy a new pair of IEMs, i already have the Earsonic EM2-IFI and i was wondering if someone has listened to the SLEEK CT7 and the 1964 Q. Is there someone who can make a comparison between these two?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #287 of 4,841
Hey all, I've been thinking about getting a pair of customs for some time.  Recently I've been wondering, what do most of you use as a source for your customs?  I've noticed it common to use a nice DAP for entry level customs, but how about higher end customs?  

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #288 of 4,841
This was posted in another thread - the top-tier IEM thread, but it applied to this thread so I thought I would repost it here and answer here.

Quote:
Have tried out the W4 before buying my Sm3 and somehow I just didnt quite like it. Its a good IEM, yes. But lacking something in the way of excitement for me. But i wouldnt mind picking it up for a song if ever such a deal came by. LOL.

Yes joker's thread is another fine resource and again couldnt help beam with pride at how well he rated the Sm3. DO you think or know if he's planning to add the EX1000 to the list as well?

I hope to move on to customs by next year, hopefully. Whats your favourite or which do you think is simply the best you've heard currently? I am torn between the ACS T1, EM3pro, JH13pro and also considering the ES5.

Quote:
I somehow missed a bunch of posts, and this is one...sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, |joker| will be adding the EX-1000 to his review thread at some point.

What is the best I have heard?  SE 5-way Reference if you want the ultimate in detail and resolution and the SA-43 if you want a huge and realistic space with the ability to flip a switch and change the sound to your current preference/music/source.  Both present in such a realistic way it is amazing.  The LS8 is next in line.  I haven't heard the T1, ES5, or JH13, but have heard the JH16.  The EM3 Pro doesn't have the clarity of the other competitors but it does offer a liquid and very rich presentation.

But back to universals...the Sony is very good and from what I have read, the Japanese only version has a much better balance across the frequency response.  If I really had to choose between the SM3 and EX1000 I would take the SM3, but now that I have customs that are so much better the SM3 is chopped liver!

Quote:
No worries, joe. Thanks for responding anyhow. Oh dear, now you've added more to the list of customs to consider Gah!
confused_face_2.gif
  hehe. 

What are your impressions of the JH16 so far? I know you've not had them that long yet but how do they compare with SE 5-way. Starkey and Rooth LS8? Oh and just how much less clarity does the Em3pro have vs these others? Crap, i might never get into customs at this rate. There really isnt any hope of me auditioning them and the thought of spending so much money for a custom and then going back to square one like I do with universals, i.e wondering how the others sound, is simply unbearable! Cant afford to keep buying customs. Even universals are expensive.

Chopped liver? Ouch. LOL.  I haven't heard the EX1000 so I am really curious about that one. There is a Japan only version? I thought it was the same all over, just that US version uses the EX600's cable rather than the original ex1000 cable.

Sorry for all the questions. Take your time to reply. LOL

Since I am done listening to the SA-43 for my review and am just doing my final proof I have moved on to the JH16.  I will just say that in my technical ratings the JH16 is similar to the EM3 Pro, although with a very different sound signature, close to opposite, and the LS8 is next up with the SE 5-way and SA-43 close to each other at the top.  The SA-43 can have a similar sound signature to the JH16 depending on the switches, and fairly close to the SE 5-way.
SE 5-way: Ultimate resolution with accurate soundstaging.  I hear things with the 5-way I don't with anything else.  On the richer side of the spectrum, but not in a bad way at all.  Top clarity due to the ultra high resolution.  These are currently not being sold in the US due to customs issues.
SA-43: Similar presentation to the 5-way but more spacious overall with the leading transparency, not as rich nor as detailed. Detail level is between the JH16 and EM3 Pro.  But due to the presentation it sounds very real.  
LS8: Very exciting presentation with a different type of clarity than the SA-43 or SE 5-way.  More detail and treble extension than the JH16 along with better clarity due to the upper mid bump.  Fairly spacious and 3D presentation with more thickness than the JH16, but not as neutral.
JH16: Punchy with lots of bass and a neutral midrange.  The treble is a little more enhanced/aggressive than the SA-43.  Good detail levels.  Soundstage is wide but not the most 3D.
EM3 Pro: Very warm and liquid in comparison, glossing over details and creating a veil.  Plenty of bass power, but detail levels are not quite to the level of any of the others mentioned.  Soundstage is the smallest of all listed but very spherical which works real well for some songs creating an amazingly realistic presentation.  Clarity isn't bad on its own, but in comparison this weakness is brought to light.

The Sony I was referring to is the EX7550 and you may know more about the different versions than I do!

Quote:
Hello all :)

I need some advice, i'd like to buy a new pair of IEMs, i already have the Earsonic EM2-IFI and i was wondering if someone has listened to the SLEEK CT7 and the 1964 Q. Is there someone who can make a comparison between these two?

I have never seen anyone post on head-fi that has both the CT7 or Q, and maybe only about 3 people have posted about the CT7.  What do you like/dislike about the EM2?  What are you looking for as far as sound and price?  What source do you use?

Quote:
Hey all, I've been thinking about getting a pair of customs for some time.  Recently I've been wondering, what do most of you use as a source for your customs?  I've noticed it common to use a nice DAP for entry level customs, but how about higher end customs?  

It really depends on the custom which source you can use.  And there usually is a wide range of sources people use for their custom IEMs, from a Clip to an 801.  In my reviews I list source matching as not all custom IEMs perform the same with the same source, so IMO part of the decision on which custom IEM to choose should also include what source you will be using with it.  If you are open to buying one that synergizes, that is great!

And in general, the higher end DAPs offer more resolution and soundstage space than lower end ones, but it isn't consistent.  

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #290 of 4,841

Quote:
This was posted in another thread - the top-tier IEM thread, but it applied to this thread so I thought I would repost it here and answer here.

Since I am done listening to the SA-43 for my review and am just doing my final proof I have moved on to the JH16.  I will just say that in my technical ratings the JH16 is similar to the EM3 Pro, although with a very different sound signature, close to opposite, and the LS8 is next up with the SE 5-way and SA-43 close to each other at the top.  The SA-43 can have a similar sound signature to the JH16 depending on the switches, and fairly close to the SE 5-way.
SE 5-way: Ultimate resolution with accurate soundstaging.  I hear things with the 5-way I don't with anything else.  On the richer side of the spectrum, but not in a bad way at all.  Top clarity due to the ultra high resolution.  These are currently not being sold in the US due to customs issues.
SA-43: Similar presentation to the 5-way but more spacious overall with the leading transparency, not as rich nor as detailed. Detail level is between the JH16 and EM3 Pro.  But due to the presentation it sounds very real.  
LS8: Very exciting presentation with a different type of clarity than the SA-43 or SE 5-way.  More detail and treble extension than the JH16 along with better clarity due to the upper mid bump.  Fairly spacious and 3D presentation with more thickness than the JH16, but not as neutral.
JH16: Punchy with lots of bass and a neutral midrange.  The treble is a little more enhanced/aggressive than the SA-43.  Good detail levels.  Soundstage is wide but not the most 3D.
EM3 Pro: Very warm and liquid in comparison, glossing over details and creating a veil.  Plenty of bass power, but detail levels are not quite to the level of any of the others mentioned.  Soundstage is the smallest of all listed but very spherical which works real well for some songs creating an amazingly realistic presentation.  Clarity isn't bad on its own, but in comparison this weakness is brought to light.

The Sony I was referring to is the EX7550 and you may know more about the different versions than I do!

I have never seen anyone post on head-fi that has both the CT7 or Q, and maybe only about 3 people have posted about the CT7.  What do you like/dislike about the EM2?  What are you looking for as far as sound and price?  What source do you use?

It really depends on the custom which source you can use.  And there usually is a wide range of sources people use for their custom IEMs, from a Clip to an 801.  In my reviews I list source matching as not all custom IEMs perform the same with the same source, so IMO part of the decision on which custom IEM to choose should also include what source you will be using with it.  If you are open to buying one that synergizes, that is great!

And in general, the higher end DAPs offer more resolution and soundstage space than lower end ones, but it isn't consistent.  

Thanks, joe. The SE and Starkey have piqued my interest but they may be somewhat inaccessible for me. The ACS t1, EM3pro, ES5 and JH 13/16pro can easily be gotten with Jaben's help in Malaysia. I kinda suspected the JH16 would sound like you mentioned, thats why I'm more keen on the 13s instead.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #291 of 4,841

Quote:

Well, i'm looking for something with deep bass but i'm not a basshead... i'd like the bass to go deeper than the EM2 and a larger soundstage. In term of price, i don't want anything over 500 (there is an offer for the CT7 for members of the SA7 sign-up list) so that's why i'm trying to have informations on these two (CT7 and 1964 Q). As souce, i use a Sansa Fuze or Cowon i9 or Samsung R'Mix.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #293 of 4,841

Quote:
Thanks, joe. The SE and Starkey have piqued my interest but they may be somewhat inaccessible for me. The ACS t1, EM3pro, ES5 and JH 13/16pro can easily be gotten with Jaben's help in Malaysia. I kinda suspected the JH16 would sound like you mentioned, thats why I'm more keen on the 13s instead.

There are certain risks with buying a custom IEM internationally, but both Spiral Ear and Starkey will work with you and in the long run it may be worth the risk.  I will be posting the SA-43 review very soon...

Quote:
Well, i'm looking for something with deep bass but i'm not a basshead... i'd like the bass to go deeper than the EM2 and a larger soundstage. In term of price, i don't want anything over 500 (there is an offer for the CT7 for members of the SA7 sign-up list) so that's why i'm trying to have informations on these two (CT7 and 1964 Q). As souce, i use a Sansa Fuze or Cowon i9 or Samsung R'Mix.

The Q does fit that bill, but I am not so sure how close the CT7 is.  A newcomer, DRM Earz also has an option with their 4X which I will be reviewing in the upcoming months and there are always Livewire Trips and a new company started by the person that now runs Livewires, Alclair.  And the JH5 might also be something worth checking out.  

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #294 of 4,841

Quote:
There are certain risks with buying a custom IEM internationally, but both Spiral Ear and Starkey will work with you and in the long run it may be worth the risk.  I will be posting the SA-43 review very soon...

I'm fishing here...but any chance you'd get the JH13s some time to compare against the SE 5-way and SA-43?

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #295 of 4,841

Quote:
I'm fishing here...but any chance you'd get the JH13s some time to compare against the SE 5-way and SA-43?

No, no plan to get the JH13 at the moment.  There are so many others I would like to hear such as the ES5, 3Max, UERM, Q, T1, something from Compact Monitors, etc.  And the JH5 is higher on my scale than the 13 just because of the great price.  Not that it can't happen, but I imagine the JH13 would technically be close to the JH16 which won't change how it compares.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #298 of 4,841
JH16 review will be started soon and I should be getting the Miracle and Merlin demos soon, however I will just determine the frequency response portion of the sound signature as per |joker| the Miracle Demo doesn't have the spatial presentation of his customized Miracle that makes it special.

Grzegorz of Spiral Ear is having issues with customs hence the delay in a refitted SE 5-way, so the review is still delayed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #299 of 4,841
So demos aren't really all that demonstrative of the custom in question? I suppose the tonality is similar enough to base a purchase on. Disappointing news.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #300 of 4,841

Quote:
So demos aren't really all that demonstrative of the custom in question? I suppose the tonality is similar enough to base a purchase on. Disappointing news.

For the UM's it seems yes.  I've spoken to at least a three people that confirm that w/ the UMs.  IME w/ the ES5 and UERM demos this is not the case.  They are very close.  I don't know why there would be the discrepancy.  But yeah voicing should be relatively accurate regardless.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back