Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #229 of 4,841

Quote:
Cheers! It's almost left me disappointed as I'm not sure they're worth the upgrade over my UM2s now.

At work I use a FiiO E7 but otherwise it's a 1st gen nano with rockbox which has no problem driving the UM2s.

They are on par with the rest of the custom IEMs I own in the price range.  They are also overall better than the SM3 to put it in perspective, it is just that I have multiple custom IEMs in the price range so I can compare and contrast, and many others that talk very highly of a custom IEM only have one, so that is the pinnacle to them.  Nothing is perfect, so hopefully my review will help others understand what they are getting, which could be outstanding to you!

Maybe PM McCol for his perspective.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #230 of 4,841

Quote:
They are on par with the rest of the custom IEMs I own in the price range.  They are also overall better than the SM3 to put it in perspective, it is just that I have multiple custom IEMs in the price range so I can compare and contrast, and many others that talk very highly of a custom IEM only have one, so that is the pinnacle to them.  Nothing is perfect, so hopefully my review will help others understand what they are getting, which could be outstanding to you!

Maybe PM McCol for his perspective.

Cheers Joe, it's a great review :) I did find someone over on pistonheads who also reviewed them and said they're better than the UM2s. I think I'll save up and take the plunge.

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #231 of 4,841
I noticed under your "In the (hopefully) near future section, you listed you might be getting a flagship 8 driver 4 way custom, which company does that one come from?
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #233 of 4,841
Hi average_joe

Looking forward to your full Starkey SA-43 review, I've scoured the net and found very limited information on this particular custom even though it was compared favourably to the JH13/16 and was stated having "better resolution, airier overtones, and more forgiving to low quality sources" than the UE 18 Pro, and another review said "best custom I've ever used".

Did you receive a FR chart of it?  Can you get the on/off switches and shell in different transparent colours? Technically it seems like the best custom I've read about so far but aesthetically it looks more like a hearing aid (with clear transparent shell and those beige switches...), I'm also curious how it compares to the Rooth LS8 as that thing looks really appealing too!

As for your custom IEM collecting and review efforts, keep it up! Music is a drug and this thread is about finding the best dealers.

/kiteki

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #234 of 4,841
oh and one more q... did they say which drivers it uses? I noticed another starkey model you're reviewing uses the ck10 driver...

I don't know much about customs, but I'm researching as much as I can and thinking if I can afford it I want to jump the gun to the best model there is (period) for me, instead of climbing a ladder, so far the Starkey looks the best to me but if you want to point me in another direction or give a brief synopsis of what top-tier customs are best at respective genres that would be cool too.

Thx thx!

/kiteki

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #235 of 4,841

Quote:
Hi average_joe

Looking forward to your full Starkey SA-43 review, I've scoured the net and found very limited information on this particular custom even though it was compared favourably to the JH13/16 and was stated having "better resolution, airier overtones, and more forgiving to low quality sources" than the UE 18 Pro, and another review said "best custom I've ever used".

Did you receive a FR chart of it?  Can you get the on/off switches and shell in different transparent colours? Technically it seems like the best custom I've read about so far but aesthetically it looks more like a hearing aid (with clear transparent shell and those beige switches...), I'm also curious how it compares to the Rooth LS8 as that thing looks really appealing too!

As for your custom IEM collecting and review efforts, keep it up! Music is a drug and this thread is about finding the best dealers.

/kiteki

I have started the SA-43 review, but there is still a long ways to go on that one since there are so many configurations to listen to/compare, but I will give you some quick comparisons.  The SA-43 has incredible spaciousness which translates to a very real feel for me.  The bass can be neutral of can be powerful with more emphasis than the other custom IEMs I have.  The bass quality is not quite the best, that honor goes to the SA 5-way, but the differences aren't huge.  Detail levels are very good but not quite on par with the crystal clear details of the LS8 or the SE 5-way which recreates detail with more depth/ambiance/realism than the others, but it is still extremely good and better than the LCD-2.  If I didn't have the SE 5-way or the LS8, I too would say they are the best custom I've ever used!  The SA-43 is closer to the SE 5-way in sound signature than the LS8 and it depends on what you are looking for which I would recommend.  Some recommendations are:
- Most detail possible/best window into the music: SE 5-way
- Biggest soundstage space: SA-43
- Most bass: SA-43
- Bright and clear sound: LS8
- Natural detail: SE 5-way/SA-43
- Ability to change the sound you want to hear: SA-43
- Most isolation: SA-43 (although my SE 5-way needs a refit, so it may isolate better than it does now)

I did not receive a FR response chart, and would actually need 4:
- Extra bass driver on; ambiance on
- Extra bass driver on; ambiance off
- Extra bass driver off; ambiance on
- Extra bass driver off; ambiance off

In my opinion, most people will be happy with any of the three as the differences aren't huge between them.  Also, I will be getting my JH16 today so I will have some comparisons between that and the others in the near future, not to mention I will be receiving some others such as the single dynamic driver WX I9PRO and Merlin demo.

Thanks for your compliment, I do enjoy reviewing products and what better products to review than custom IEMs which sound can sound appreciably better than anything else I have heard in the headphone world (possibly save the HD800 with a very expensive amp).

I will ask about graphics/switch color/artwork on the SA-43.  I know you can get it without the switches if you want.

Quote:
oh and one more q... did they say which drivers it uses? I noticed another starkey model you're reviewing uses the ck10 driver...

I don't know much about customs, but I'm researching as much as I can and thinking if I can afford it I want to jump the gun to the best model there is (period) for me, instead of climbing a ladder, so far the Starkey looks the best to me but if you want to point me in another direction or give a brief synopsis of what top-tier customs are best at respective genres that would be cool too.

Thx thx!

/kiteki

The SA-43 doesn't use TWFKs, there are two other dual drivers with the mid/tweeter drivers each as large as a TWFK (not that size makes a difference).

IMO, the three custom IEMs I mentioned above are very good with all genres and I have no issue listening to any genre with any of the three, it just depends on what signature/presentation you are looking for.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #236 of 4,841
Hey joe, I am also really interested in the SA43. Do you know if they ship to Canada? From what I have read, one of the switches adjusts the amount of bass while the other adjust the presence of the vocals, like more forward? Is the bass difference more of quantity or depth of the bass? thanks.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #237 of 4,841

Quote:
Hey joe, I am also really interested in the SA43. Do you know if they ship to Canada? From what I have read, one of the switches adjusts the amount of bass while the other adjust the presence of the vocals, like more forward? Is the bass difference more of quantity or depth of the bass? thanks.

I believe they will ship to Canada.  Yes, the switches adjust the amount of bass (not depth) while the other switch adjusts the midrange.  The bass adjustment changes from flat, but still deep, to a good amount of enhancement with plenty of sub-bass rumble.  With the mid switch off the presentation is flatter and wider which works well for electronic and with it on it is a more mid-forward presentation not unlike the SE 5-way.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #239 of 4,841
Thanks for the reply, just one more question: when you play with the switch on them, say, go from both off then to both on, how great is the difference in sound? Is it more of a subtle change or greatly noticeable? I've read in your first post that it's like having 4 different sound signatures. Do you mean that they sound like 4 different IEMs or 4 different versions of the same "general" type of sound if you know what I mean? BTW i cant wait for your review. The SA43 is definitely on top of my choices for customs in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back