Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #242 of 4,841

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, just one more question: when you play with the switch on them, say, go from both off then to both on, how great is the difference in sound? Is it more of a subtle change or greatly noticeable? I've read in your first post that it's like having 4 different sound signatures. Do you mean that they sound like 4 different IEMs or 4 different versions of the same "general" type of sound if you know what I mean? BTW i cant wait for your review. The SA43 is definitely on top of my choices for customs in the future.

Well, the sound signature will be similar, but the mid boost effect is pretty large and the bass boost can be a god amount depending on the song, so almost like 4 different IEMs, but since the rest of the characteristics stay the same, it could also be 4 different versions of the SA-43.

Quote:
Looking forward to your initial impressions and how they compare to the rest!

I too am looking forward to see how the JH16 stacks up.

Quote:
How's the fit on the JH16s AJ?

Perfect :wink:

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #243 of 4,841
Woohoo, looking forward to seeing what you think about the 16s given they are probably one of the most widely owned customs here, yet equally hard to really ascertain a satisfying idea of how they stack up compared to other customs given so few people own more than one. Thank **** for this thread eh.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #244 of 4,841
The Starkey SA-43 switches are available in the following colors: beige, military green, and light, medium, and dark brown

Faceplate color options can be found here.

Starkey/Tunz US and UK can both carry the SA-43 and others if there is demand, which might result in better pricing.  Inquiring with them can get that process started.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #245 of 4,841

Quote:
Woohoo, looking forward to seeing what you think about the 16s given they are probably one of the most widely owned customs here, yet equally hard to really ascertain a satisfying idea of how they stack up compared to other customs given so few people own more than one. Thank **** for this thread eh.

Yea, should be interesting comparing them.  I am primarily listening to the SA-43 at the moment and the JH16 is burning in.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #246 of 4,841
I appreciate your detailed replies average_joe!

Unless the LS8/CX8, JH13/JH16 start offering switches, I am pretty much sold on the SA-43 now! Now I just have to earn some $$ and figure out how to make it pretty.

In this document http://inear.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/bestillingsmal-in-ear-monitorer.pdf Starkey has tickboxes for "transparent blue, transparent red" for the shell, along with "clear, beige & black" for the cable.

I'm happy the switches come in "beige, military green, and light, medium, and dark brown"...... I was kinda hoping for white or black though... I suppose I can paint them myself... however I really hope starkey can manage some more transparent shell colours such as - gold/light-yellow, silver/platinum, and violet/purple.

Sure, it's about the sound, but I want an audio device $1000+ that's constantly going to be in my head to look damn pretty.

Edit: Found the order form with colour options in english http://inearmonitoring.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/order-form-sa-series-2010.pdf

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #247 of 4,841

Quote:
I appreciate your detailed replies average_joe!

Unless the LS8/CX8, JH13/JH16 start offering switches, I am pretty much sold on the SA-43 now! Now I just have to earn some $$ and figure out how to make it pretty.

No problem, and the SA-43 is ultra competitive and won't disappoint!  It is really cool that they have the switches.  

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #248 of 4,841
I know it usually takes you a couple of weeks or more to really get stuck into each custom, so I'll refrain from checking this thread every day and try and wait it out a bit. I'm dead-set on some customs but there's just so much choice it's overwhelming, even though at the very top I imagine the differences get more subtle. This thread is therefore super-helpful! 

Quote:
Yea, should be interesting comparing them.  I am primarily listening to the SA-43 at the moment and the JH16 is burning in.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #249 of 4,841
Beat Audio (Wan Xuan) single dynamic custom IEMs are now available from custom-iem.com for $529 for the wx i9 and $619 for the wx i9pro which I will be reviewing.  These are very similar in design to the Future Sonic offerings but both use a 14mm driver.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #252 of 4,841

Quote:
Sad news, Resound will stop production of all their custom IEMs on 31/7/2011. They just want to focus on hearing aids and customs are subsidiary to them. So this is end of really great customs :frowning2:

Yes, not great news.  I have sent Claus of Fabs an email to see if he will still be making his earphone as he was modifying what Resound was making.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #253 of 4,841
Fabs is still going strong with the Fabs Fabulous earphones, so Resound's stop in production hasn't stopped that neutral, convenient custom.

Also, on a different note, I received my DRM Earz 4X back today and Mitch made some sound adjustments per my recommendations and so far so good!  A $525 4 driver custom with extended treble and great bass!

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #254 of 4,841
Status update:
- I have a Sony EX-1000 in hand for evaluation for several days, so I am listening/comparing as much as I can
- I am also trying to make sure I have all the pictures I need and am A/Bing the Beat Audio Rose Supreme and Cronus cables as I need to send them back to their owner.  My cable comparison is about 75% complete.
- The SA-12 review is nearing completion
- I did sneak some time to compare the SA-43, JH16, and SE 5-way 
ksc75smile.gif

- The Anedio D1 DAC is very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back