Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #3,541 of 4,841
Hi guys i have just finished a review on the Unqiue melody miracles do show some support and read it thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

If you can't be bothered to post the link to your review, then...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #3,546 of 4,841
What do you think about the phase correction and the CIEMS that do not have problem with the phases, do you think it impacts a lot on the sound?

How would a CIEM without phase correction compare with one that does not have any phase problems? are we really losing that much?

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,547 of 4,841
  What do you think about the phase correction and the CIEMS that do not have problem with the phases, do you think it impacts a lot on the sound?

How would a CIEM without phase correction compare with one that does not have any phase problems? are we really losing that much?

I think there's no good answer to that question.
Phase of drivers has to be aligned - otherwise you'll get frequencies that cancel each other out. That's why typically tweeter is wired in reversed polarization because caps that works as high pass filters also invert phase

I'm assuming you're thinking about phase-time correction.

With tweeter in phase-time correcting tuning you'll hear all frequencies at once (it's really hard to explain) comparing to standard configuration you'll hear as if previously cymbals were "under" other layers of sound or bass was lagging behind midrange - depending on configuration.

However phase correcting is very hard to achieve actually as it has to be a combination of proper tube length, diameter and capacitor size used - tube length and diameter will change response of the receiver dramatically even if cap stay the same.

In the end of the day my thoughts are that both types of configuration are ok. They result in slightly different type of presentation. There's slightly more technical hassle behind phase-time alignment but it doesn't automatically mean you'll like the outcome of it.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,548 of 4,841

I think there's no good answer to that question.
Phase of drivers has to be aligned - otherwise you'll get frequencies that cancel each other out. That's why typically tweeter is wired in reversed polarization because caps that works as high pass filters also invert phase

I'm assuming you're thinking about phase-time correction.

With tweeter in phase-time correcting tuning you'll hear all frequencies at once (it's really hard to explain) comparing to standard configuration you'll hear as if previously cymbals were "under" other layers of sound or bass was lagging behind midrange - depending on configuration.

However phase correcting is very hard to achieve actually as it has to be a combination of proper tube length, diameter and capacitor size used - tube length and diameter will change response of the receiver dramatically even if cap stay the same.

In the end of the day my thoughts are that both types of configuration are ok. They result in slightly different type of presentation. There's slightly more technical hassle behind phase-time alignment but it doesn't automatically mean you'll like the outcome of it.

Always enjoy your informative contributions on the topic of CIEM technicalities, Piotr; thankyou for taking the time to explain.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,550 of 4,841
Very good explanation, so if I understand correctly it does not imply better sound just a change in the sound signature and presentation of the sound layers

Exactly.

The closest of what I'm hearing with say phase-time-corrected TWFK driver is similar to the sound of ribbon speaker driver. It seems very effortless and sweet/smoothed out and I'm sure some people would find it not enough sparkling or edgy.

It really comes down to preferences - as always in his hobby.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,552 of 4,841
So what you are saying Peter is that, for example, JHA's freakphase system may have some side effects because altering the tube length and diameter will degrade the sound in other ways?

Not necessarily will, but can based on personal preferences.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #3,553 of 4,841
  So what you are saying Peter is that, for example, JHA's freakphase system may have some side effects because altering the tube length and diameter will degrade the sound in other ways?

I really can't answer question that is stated in the above form - MOT rules.

This is one driver (just in case - it's not TWFK), measured with the same capacitor just different tubing length. The longer, 50mm tube is phase correcting. You can see clear improvement in the 10kHz+ region but the ringing between 1kHz and 8kHz could be a problem for IEM constructor. It really depends on what you are after and again - both designs will have simply different character rather than being ultimately better one from another - shorter tube will offer better upper midrange while longer tube will offer more highs presence.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #3,554 of 4,841
  I really can't answer question that is stated in the above form - MOT rules.

This is one driver (just in case - it's not TWFK), measured with the same capacitor just different tubing length. The longer, 50mm tube is phase correcting. You can see clear improvement in the 10kHz+ region but the ringing between 1kHz and 8kHz could be a problem for IEM constructor. It really depends on what you are after and again - both designs will have simply different character rather than being ultimately better one from another - shorter tube will offer better upper midrange while longer tube will offer more highs presence.

Hi;
Can you give phase curves, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back