Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #571 of 4,841
great stuff, but is there an IEM round up from someone that ISN'T biased towards a detail oriented, cold sound?

I don't think the warm bassy stuffed gets touched on in a positive way, I'd like to see someone with a bias towards that signature do a set of reviews

Pretty much everyone else is a JH fan and all of their IEMs are heavy bass, warmer sound. The only exception I've found is the JH3A/JH16 but only because you can adjust your bass level. It's still a warm setup overall.

I ordered a pair of UERM which should arrive Thursday. Looking forward to them.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #572 of 4,841

Quote:

I know u mention'd it before about bass quality and customs and how they a lot of the times sound more full then universals, or maybe the bone conduction with acrylic also has smth to say...

I have no final verdict on the Starkey's, so my perception might change a lot over the coming weeks, and as i get over my sickness i embrace what may come with "open" ears.

I saw u mentioning the Studio-V in the SE thread, would u be able to do a comparison with the uHA-120 and Studio-V and your Starkeys, but also directly through the Studio-V, i like to find out if that would be a possible upgrade for my Touch or not?

We all know the US makes nice customs, and the Chinese too and UM can also be bought in the uk for a fair price as i see it, but in Europe as your review's state we dont really have to be so sad that we cant get the JH13, JH16 without tax and customs charges hassles, but before if ppl wanted some of the best they had to look at JH and Westone mostly, but not today with Spiralear, Minerva, ACS, Starkey, Earsonic, and the italian and german brand u tested...

But u have a point that in a globalized world we have options to buy whatever brand we like, and if that is the only thing that satisfies you then u better going for this the first time, rather then being sad u should go for an inferior model "near" by..

Hi Hemshemems, any updates?

Quote:
My Westone ES5 broke :frowning2: The left bassdriver stopped working. Will probably replace it with the Spiral Ear SE-5. Just wish it had a replaceable cable.

How long have you had them, are they still under warranty?  I would be interested to hear how they stack up to the 5-way.

Quote:
great stuff, but is there an IEM round up from someone that ISN'T biased towards a detail oriented, cold sound?

I don't think the warm bassy stuffed gets touched on in a positive way, I'd like to see someone with a bias towards that signature do a set of reviews

That's a pretty vague statement.  There are plenty of customs that aren't cold in the least ranging from the most expensive I have heard down to just about the lowest priced.  The i9pro has plenty of bass and warmth, the EM3 Pro and EP-10 Plus have an incredible amount of warmth, etc.  But, unfortunately for you get detail to go with your sound :wink:

How about this: Sennheiser CX300, MEElectronics R1, Munito Bullet, and all the others you can find here.

Quote:
Pretty much everyone else is a JH fan and all of their IEMs are heavy bass, warmer sound. The only exception I've found is the JH3A/JH16 but only because you can adjust your bass level. It's still a warm setup overall.
I ordered a pair of UERM which should arrive Thursday. Looking forward to them.

If you read my first post in this thread, there are many different flavors.  The JH16 (the demo JH13 I heard doesn't count due to poor seal/performance) is more on the analytical side to my ears in comparison with my other customs, and I do compare each custom IEM with the others I own in the price range.  Earsonics is warm!

I am looking forward to your UERM thoughts.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #573 of 4,841

Quote:

How long have you had them, are they still under warranty?  I would be interested to hear how they stack up to the 5-way.

8-9 months. No only had 6 months warranty. According to your posts it seems the 5-way sounds alot like the ES5 but better. Except the ES5 is a little warm it the mids. The LS8 is also interesting and it have a detachable cable.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #574 of 4,841
I have not heard the ES5 so I have no idea how they sound in comparison, but I am guessing they are close.  The LS8 is a different sound signature, closer to the JH13/16 (bass is probably between the two).  Whatever you get please let us know how you think they perform in comparison.  

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #578 of 4,841

Quote:

Hi Hemshemems, any updates?

Yeah...

I've had my AHA-120 for a week, using my iTouch and Fiio L3 lod...

The AHA-120 with 12db gain seems to be a good match powerwise, and at my normal listening volume im at about 12-1 o'clock, but i guess my iTouchs 1V output isnt the highest...

The iTouch amped dosnt really do my Starkey's any justice, and the resolution is not that good as if the Starkeys just should be able to deliver more...

I do think i need to get a refit, as my right custom still hurts my internals, but my refit period is over and if it dosnt change soon, then ill try do get it done locally, i feel it only needs to get a small tweak to fit correctly...

My left is easy to get into place, the right is hurting before its in place, and the more i try to force it to fit right the more pain.. :frowning2:

The bass is still a bit excessive with the switch on, and i cant just turn it on with different tracks that needs a boost, as i always focuse on it to much when i know its on...

Midrange and Highs dont stand out, and i would have liked a more forward sound...

Using the Presence switch as it says lifts mainly the midrange, but i need a lift in both the mid and highs to balance out the thicker bass with the switch on..

Im on a dap hunt now, the Hisoundaudio is the one id like to try, but main issues are the lack of storage mainly (only up to 16gb ext, and that is sometimes also a problem) and the silly ui, but its not too expensive for me to try, and im not really impressed with the sound i get right now...

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #579 of 4,841
Well, I might have to apologize for the misinformation about the quads.  When I searched for livewire customs on my tablet, this came up.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=livewire+custom+ear

The first link seemingly was the right link as I had heard livewires was under new management.  The page linked me to a new website so I assumed this was their new company webpage.  Here, there is a Quad driver model for $589, just a few bucks short of what the quad driver you mentioned recently, but as I may have misunderstood, you might have been talking about the DRM ears, not the livewires.  I assumed incorrectly, lol sorry.

As seen here
http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.net/products-page/earphones/

But when I went to the DRM Earz Website I didn't see anything listed for a price beyond $350 so I am a bit confused right now hehe

Then I go to the second link at mylivewires and there the livewire page says their triple model is $379 and there is no quad :p

Quite confusing hehe

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #580 of 4,841
I sent in my impressions for the SA43 3 weeks ago but the impressions were not good, so I had them retaken yesterday and sent it in for a second time. 

Hem, do you find the bass lacking with the switch off and how big of a difference does the presence switch make?

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #581 of 4,841

Quote:
Yeah...

I've had my AHA-120 for a week, using my iTouch and Fiio L3 lod...

The AHA-120 with 12db gain seems to be a good match powerwise, and at my normal listening volume im at about 12-1 o'clock, but i guess my iTouchs 1V output isnt the highest...

The iTouch amped dosnt really do my Starkey's any justice, and the resolution is not that good as if the Starkeys just should be able to deliver more...

I do think i need to get a refit, as my right custom still hurts my internals, but my refit period is over and if it dosnt change soon, then ill try do get it done locally, i feel it only needs to get a small tweak to fit correctly...

My left is easy to get into place, the right is hurting before its in place, and the more i try to force it to fit right the more pain.. :frowning2:

The bass is still a bit excessive with the switch on, and i cant just turn it on with different tracks that needs a boost, as i always focuse on it to much when i know its on...

Midrange and Highs dont stand out, and i would have liked a more forward sound...

Using the Presence switch as it says lifts mainly the midrange, but i need a lift in both the mid and highs to balance out the thicker bass with the switch on..

Im on a dap hunt now, the Hisoundaudio is the one id like to try, but main issues are the lack of storage mainly (only up to 16gb ext, and that is sometimes also a problem) and the silly ui, but its not too expensive for me to try, and im not really impressed with the sound i get right now...

Have you contacted Alf about a refit?  I would contact him and let him know what happened, including that you were out of listening commission for a while which is why you missed your refit period, and see if he can help you.  Also, mention the treble and since he is the manufacturer he might be able to tune the treble up a bit.  Alf seems like a great guy so I have confidence he will take care of you.

The only way I know of to improve the treble without EQ is by source matching and/or an aftermarket cable.  I recently found out Hisoundaudio is no longer selling their ROCOO A but has some other products up their sleeves which may be good, but for now I am not sure the best to recommend for a brighter sound signature.  Auzentech has a new product, the i.Fuzen HP-1 which is a headphone amp/battery case for the iPhone 4, so that may be a good thing that keeps the iPhone portable as a source.

Quote:
Well, I might have to apologize for the misinformation about the quads.  When I searched for livewire customs on my tablet, this came up.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=livewire+custom+ear

The first link seemingly was the right link as I had heard livewires was under new management.  The page linked me to a new website so I assumed this was their new company webpage.  Here, there is a Quad driver model for $589, just a few bucks short of what the quad driver you mentioned recently, but as I may have misunderstood, you might have been talking about the DRM ears, not the livewires.  I assumed incorrectly, lol sorry.

As seen here
http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.net/products-page/earphones/

But when I went to the DRM Earz Website I didn't see anything listed for a price beyond $350 so I am a bit confused right now hehe

Then I go to the second link at mylivewires and there the livewire page says their triple model is $379 and there is no quad :p

Quite confusing hehe

Fidelity is a separate company, and without going into it, the Livewires received praise for their sound that I have not read the same for the Fidelity custom IEMs.  As far as the DRM Earz site the aud-5X is not up yet and Mitch is working on the new site launch.  If you contact him about it I am sure he will be happy to talk to you about it, but it is $565 for a 5 driver 4-way if you are concerned with driver count and I am very pleased with the sound for the price.  But then I am not sure what cable style they utilize.  

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #582 of 4,841

Quote:

Have you contacted Alf about a refit?  I would contact him and let him know what happened, including that you were out of listening commission for a while which is why you missed your refit period, and see if he can help you.  Also, mention the treble and since he is the manufacturer he might be able to tune the treble up a bit.  Alf seems like a great guy so I have confidence he will take care of you.

The only way I know of to improve the treble without EQ is by source matching and/or an aftermarket cable.  I recently found out Hisoundaudio is no longer selling their ROCOO A but has some other products up their sleeves which may be good, but for now I am not sure the best to recommend for a brighter sound signature.  Auzentech has a new product, the i.Fuzen HP-1 which is a headphone amp/battery case for the iPhone 4, so that may be a good thing that keeps the iPhone portable as a source.

I guess i dont want to part with them eventho they hurt me, but shipping was pretty fast before, but im home next week so i might either go and do another impression on the right ear, and talk to the hearing aid center to see if they are capable of doing the refitting, if unsure then ill ship them to Norway..

The is a slight imbalance as the fit is not perfect, but i hoped that my right ear would stop working againts the darn custom, but no such luck yet..

I ordered my cables fixed, mainly because i dont like having these fragile connection, and it would only be an option should i ruin the stock cable over time, but buying a aftermarket cable and getting Starkey to fit this i dont think would happen..

A thing like the Ifuzen looks inferior to me and i dont have a Iphone as its mainly made for, and with the power and gain i got i can live with the low output via the lod, i havnt hit more then 3 o'clock, and no distortion was heard either..

Fairly priced daps that i can get a hold of is the Studio-V with lineout, but its far from perfect and i would like to see a more complete device around the same price, because i think the price difference up to HM-801 and Colorfly is to big...

I would like to pick out the right source unit for sure, and preferable not adding a "CLAS"

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #583 of 4,841

Quote:

I guess i dont want to part with them eventho they hurt me, but shipping was pretty fast before, but im home next week so i might either go and do another impression on the right ear, and talk to the hearing aid center to see if they are capable of doing the refitting, if unsure then ill ship them to Norway..

The is a slight imbalance as the fit is not perfect, but i hoped that my right ear would stop working againts the darn custom, but no such luck yet..

I ordered my cables fixed, mainly because i dont like having these fragile connection, and it would only be an option should i ruin the stock cable over time, but buying a aftermarket cable and getting Starkey to fit this i dont think would happen..

A thing like the Ifuzen looks inferior to me and i dont have a Iphone as its mainly made for, and with the power and gain i got i can live with the low output via the lod, i havnt hit more then 3 o'clock, and no distortion was heard either..

Fairly priced daps that i can get a hold of is the Studio-V with lineout, but its far from perfect and i would like to see a more complete device around the same price, because i think the price difference up to HM-801 and Colorfly is to big...

I would like to pick out the right source unit for sure, and preferable not adding a "CLAS"

It really sounds like you need to get them worked on one way or another.  And I did forget about the fixed cables, I guess source matching it is!  I would contact Alf and also make sure the filters are clean because when they get a some material in them the treble gets weaker.  

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you had an iPhone 4.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #585 of 4,841

Quote:
How does the SA-43 with the Chris cable compare to the SE-5 way in details? Are you going to review the Hidition NT6 pro?

Very good question (SA-43 vs. SE-5 way).  Overall the strengths of each don't change as the 5-way is still more resolving and has more ambiance, detail retrieval, and natural clarity to go along with more power and treble extension/sparkle, but the SA-43 soundstage size advantage increases and the 43 becomes more dynamic and moves the treble closer to the 5-way in presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back