Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #4,201 of 4,841
You went for the DW huh?  Yikes.  That's a whole heap of bass :blink:   (apparently)

Hope you enjoy it.

Incidentally, I like the way fitear use a solid acrylic infill. Not good if repairs are later required, but lovely build quality.
I already have fairly neutral iems such as NT6, so I can also have more basshead iems :D

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,202 of 4,841
  Go with Inearz, at $50 it's a steal

It's complicated because some constructors struggle against the natural sound of the BA transducers (EarSonics for example, that's why the entry level seems to be veiled) and some others don't process the sound with that philosophy (JHAudio for example, sometimes that sounds metallic). If you are looking for a BA based IEM which sounds like a dynamic based IEM, look at the brands reputed for their organic sound : EarSonics, Spiral Ear, Custom Art

No BA has the same air movement in the bass as dynamics. But I find that some great BA have excellent subbass depth.

It's funny, my modded es5s had really great sub bass depth and sounded awesome, but they just felt off to me because I knew that a speaker wasn't kicking out air and it was just the reproduction of a sound.  I'm wondering if I'm suffering some sort of placebo effect because obviously whatever air a dd earphone displaces is negligible compared to ordinary speakers.  Then again, dynamic driver IEMs kick bass directed into your ears.  I'm wondering if the feeling of sub bass that I get from TOTL IEMs matters: is it completely in my head (pun intended) or am I actually feeling something? 
blink.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #4,203 of 4,841
Thank you for the responses, especially tupac0306 for answering my PMs.  My problem with finding a CIEM is I know what I don’t want, but it’s harder to decide what I do want.  So I don’t want a dark sound signature, but I also don’t want something that is too revealing and sounds thin like the Etymotic ER-4.  I don’t want recessed or veiled vocals and mids, but I also don’t want mids or vocals that are forward at the expense of the other frequencies.

Since I already ruled out the Miracles, JH13 FP, JH16 FP, Roxannes, I am now considering the Earsonics EM32s.  One of the main things I like about them is the solid acrylic shell is supposed to provide better isolation than hollow acrylic (I wasn’t entirely happy with the UM Miracles isolation).  They are also supposed to sound fine just using a smartphone or small DAP.  But they seem similar in sound to the Noble Audio K10s…  Any additional advice or thoughts?

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #4,205 of 4,841
  Why not SE5way? Balanced, organic, nice warm sound. Probably you discussed this option a lot with Tupac and if you already exclude it from your list, sorry to bother you
happy_face1.gif

Maybe because he can find them sounding a little bit dark (I don't, but if you come from brigther sounding IEMs/CIEMs 5ways may be considered as dark).

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,207 of 4,841
I hadn't really considered the SE 5-Ways to be honest because:

a) They are described as being a little dark even in comparison to the JH16s;

b) Quite a few people seem to have fit issues and average_joe's very detailed review mentioned they can be too big for some people's ears;

c) They can be source dependent and sound a lot better with a high-end source.

In other words, they seem a bit risky for me to buy without a demo.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,208 of 4,841
  I hadn't really considered the SE 5-Ways to be honest because:

a) They are described as being a little dark even in comparison to the JH16s;

b) Quite a few people seem to have fit issues and average_joe's very detailed review mentioned they can be too big for some people's ears;

c) They can be source dependent and sound a lot better with a high-end source.

In other words, they seem a bit risky for me to buy without a demo.

You can rule out a) and c). The se5 is not as bright as the original JH16 pro because JH16 pro is a bright, thin, clear CIEM before they introduced FP technique. Not to mention SE5 has far superior treble extension than JH16.

SE5 definitely sound great with high end source, but it does not sound BAD with low end source because of its relative insensitivity. You will be enjoying music with any DAP. 

For b), spiral ear has progressed a lot in terms of moulding SE5, they could hardly fit a se5 into my ears, but now they can do it without any problem.

But I agree with shakur, coming from bright IEMs, you will find SE5 a bit dark on instant listening. 

EM32 does sound similar to K10, in fact very similar, same category to my ears with some differences here and there.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,209 of 4,841
Quote:
  Why not SE5way? Balanced, organic, nice warm sound. Probably you discussed this option a lot with Tupac and if you already exclude it from your list, sorry to bother you
happy_face1.gif

No bother. I appreciate any suggestions.  It took me a long time to find a universal fit earphone I liked a few years ago, because I didn't really like the recommended ones like the Klipsch X10, Shure SE425, Sony XBA-4s or Westone 4s.  I found the Grado GR10s by chance and would have kept them if only they could have fit better in my ears.  I'm hopeful I can find a similar sounding CIEM with a little more bass.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4,210 of 4,841
  Quote:

No bother. I appreciate any suggestions.  It took me a long time to find a universal fit earphone I liked a few years ago, because I didn't really like the recommended ones like the Klipsch X10, Shure SE425, Sony XBA-4s or Westone 4s.  I found the Grado GR10s by chance and would have kept them if only they could have fit better in my ears.  I'm hopeful I can find a similar sounding CIEM with a little more bass.

I have no experience with GR10, but if they sound anything like usual Grado headphones sound, I would probably hate them. Also, they wouldn't sound anything close to SE5way I think, so it can be a big change for you.

Here we have many friendly people with tons of experience, I am sure someone can help you to choose the safest possible option for you. It took me long to decide on SE5way but boy, that expensive toy is the best purchase I ever made, period.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4,211 of 4,841
  Confession: I use CIEMs as earplugs most of the time. Now why do I need multiple ones again?

eek.gif
  Earplugs are so much cheaper!

Funny you should mention that - I use my MG6 Pros as earplugs (wires removed) just as much as I do actually connected. Works a treat for noisy tasks like routing timber, and I reckon the MG6 Pro sounds better unconnected than it does connected
blink.gif
  (no, I'm not joking).

That one makes sense 
wink_face.gif

I have SE5, NT6, Roxannes, Ref1, Kaede, MH335DW on order, and still yearning for more...I must cure myself. My top list now for next candidate is EM32, K10, H8Pro and VE6x...EM32 being at the top.

Wow is all I have to say bout that.  
popcorn.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #4,214 of 4,841

It does if you've ever had the misfortune of owning the MG6 Pro
rolleyes.gif

Or auditioning their universal demo.  I suppose I could see some people happy with it if they 1) love tons of bass and 2) haven't heard better.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,215 of 4,841
SE5 definitely sound great with high end source, but it does not sound BAD with low end source because of its relative insensitivity. You will be enjoying music with any DAP. 

I do not agree. For me SE5 are a real diva and demand specific sources. I fist tried AK120 and wanted to cry: soundstage was compressed, treble absent, sound dull and muffled. I tried DX50 and same results. My Merlin were much more exciting and lively. I then got AK240 and it changed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back