Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,001 of 4,841
Quote:
I am currently trying to finish 3 amp reviews, but I am running into some interesting findings, so I am trying to be extra careful to make sure I get everything right, and it is taking a lot of time.  Plus, two of the 3 have DACs, which adds another layer of complexity.  The Fit-Ear PS-5 is up next and the others will follow thereafter.  

Are those portable amps? If so, would you name them Joe?

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #3,002 of 4,841
Quote:
I went for OPA209 based on people saying that it's the best for clarity and detail. 

No problem at all with my full sized headphones. With my gr07s worn over ear, I THINK there's a very very minor bass loss. Could be psychological too, but its barely noticeable. But using +8db bass on my fuze to exaggerate the bass, there is definitely a loss of bass when i lie flat down or with a pillow.

OK, maybe I can review other op amps for the UHA.  I do think could be something psychological involved as I remember when I first started laying down with my headphones I experienced differences because my brain was expecting the sound to be localized differently.  When you are laying down, can you push them in your ears to get the bass back?

Quote:
Are those portable amps? If so, would you name them Joe?

Yes, JDS ODAC + O2, Leckerton UHA 6S MKII, and Ortofon MHd-Q7.  I have separate units of the ODAC and O2, but JDS can pull the batteries from the O2 and put the ODAC in the same case making the ODAC + O2 combo product, which is a desktop unit.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #3,003 of 4,841
Quote:
thanks Barra, that was really nice. Would you mind putting some photos here?

Here is what they look like with the upgrade cable and the nice storage kit they came with:

I went for a simple black and white with graphite plates to make it easy to know which ear to put them in:

As you can see, they have a very extended insertion:

The cable sounds great and seems upscale but not to the level of many of the after market cables I see throughout the Head-Fi forums:

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #3,004 of 4,841
After a few more hours playing with my new Hidition NT6 Pros, my ears have adjusted and the weirdness has pretty much gone away. All I can say now is WOW! I have been listening to them through my Sansa Clip+, Zip, and Fuse mainly and cannot imagine how they can sound better than they sound with them. I tried my iPhone 5 and iPod Classic for a few minutes and went right back as the Sansa's made the iProducts sound very pedestrian and lacking. Don't get me wrong, the Pros make everything sound great, but next to the Sansa sound, the iProducts sound bad. The Pros match up very nicely with the Sansa's clarity adding a base punch that they are otherwise lacking as well as widening the typically constricted sound stage so that it sounds natural. It is amazing that for the $16 I paid for the Clip+ or the $24 I paid for the Fuse through Amazon that they can make that fantastic of a high fidelity sound scape in that small and portable of a package. Apple should be ashamed. 

I am starting to second guess my decision to buy the Colorfly C3 / C&C BH2 combo given the form factor. Hopefully I can hear a worthwhile difference when they arrive that justifies carrying them around when I can just clip the Clip+ to my shirt.

Although the Audeze LCD2 v2 sound awesome and are very fun headphones, given my current setup for them, the Pro's blow them away. I thought that the LCD2s sounded very resolving and natural, but they are nothing compared to the sound I am getting from this convenient setup pictured above.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,006 of 4,841
Quote:
Thanks Barra, awesome photos and impressions. Build quality indeed looks very high level. How much did you pay extra for the upgrade cable?

Apparently, they are now only using the standard cable in Korea. The international pricing already reflects the upgraded cable.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #3,007 of 4,841
Quote:
Apparently, they are now only using the standard cable in Korea. The international pricing already reflects the upgraded cable.

Wow that's nice I feel like I will get a free aftermarket cable 
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #3,008 of 4,841
Quote:
After a few more hours playing with my new Hidition NT6 Pros, my ears have adjusted and the weirdness has pretty much gone away. All I can say now is WOW! I have been listening to them through my Sansa Clip+, Zip, and Fuse mainly and cannot imagine how they can sound better than they sound with them. I tried my iPhone 5 and iPod Classic for a few minutes and went right back as the Sansa's made the iProducts sound very pedestrian and lacking. Don't get me wrong, the Pros make everything sound great, but next to the Sansa sound, the iProducts sound bad. The Pros match up very nicely with the Sansa's clarity adding a base punch that they are otherwise lacking as well as widening the typically constricted sound stage so that it sounds natural. It is amazing that for the $16 I paid for the Clip+ or the $24 I paid for the Fuse through Amazon that they can make that fantastic of a high fidelity sound scape in that small and portable of a package. Apple should be ashamed. 

I am starting to second guess my decision to buy the Colorfly C3 / C&C BH2 combo given the form factor. Hopefully I can hear a worthwhile difference when they arrive that justifies carrying them around when I can just clip the Clip+ to my shirt.

Although the Audeze LCD2 v2 sound awesome and are very fun headphones, given my current setup for them, the Pro's blow them away. I thought that the LCD2s sounded very resolving and natural, but they are nothing compared to the sound I am getting from this convenient setup pictured above.

The sound quality increases alot with a better source/amp. More than other ciems that I have heard.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #3,009 of 4,841
Yes, the Clip+ is a descent little player. I started out with it, but like you gradually moved up the ranks, before settling on an iMod + amp. The improvements in sound quality, to me, were well worth the additional cost and loss of form factor. Glad you're enjoying your Pros!

On a different subject, what are peoples thoughts on using the same set of impressions 1 year later? My AUD-5X fit me perfectly one year on, so I'm considering using the same impressions for the LS8+. Is this advisable? What are peoples experiences of this?

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,010 of 4,841
Well I tried again this morning and it seems like this time i didn't notice much of a bass loss as last time. Maybe my ears were cleaner, maybe I was able to push them in better, who knows? 
confused_face_2.gif

I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with the audiologist who did my impressions to see if she could help me identify my fit issues. I'll see how that goes.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #3,011 of 4,841
Quote:

Even with a better source the LCD-2 doesn't have the same level of detail or clarity as the NT-6 pro.  Nothing I have heard has the clarity, and the LCD-2 is more of an organic sounding headphone that doesn't have the articulation or immediacy of detail, but that is by design.  With that said, the LCD-2 does improve a lot more than the NT-6 pro with a better source.

Quote:

The upgrade cable is an upgrade and does improve the sound without a doubt.

Quote:
The sound quality increases alot with a better source/amp. More than other ciems that I have heard.

The more resolving the source, the more spacious, the better the instrument separation, the better the final sound will be.  While the differences can be described as subtle, for me, it is the adding of the subtle improvements that add additional realism to the sound providing an improvement that is far more worthwhile than can be described by the actual subtle technical changes.  With that said, the overall resolving power, bass capability,and dynamics are some of the reasons the NT-6 pro benefits from better sources.

Quote:
Yes, the Clip+ is a descent little player. I started out with it, but like you gradually moved up the ranks, before settling on an iMod + amp. The improvements in sound quality, to me, were well worth the additional cost and loss of form factor. Glad you're enjoying your Pros!

On a different subject, what are peoples thoughts on using the same set of impressions 1 year later? My AUD-5X fit me perfectly one year on, so I'm considering using the same impressions for the LS8+. Is this advisable? What are peoples experiences of this?

There is a chance, depending on what the impression material was made from, that it may have shrunk a bit.  Plus, if Rooth cuts the impressions down differently than Dream Earz, the fit might not be the same.  While you can certainly send the previously used impressions, I personally don't think it is worth the chance as shipping costs can eclipse the cost of new impressions.  Not that having new impressions will make the process foolproof.  What does Rooth say?  Let us know what you decide.

Quote:
Well I tried again this morning and it seems like this time i didn't notice much of a bass loss as last time. Maybe my ears were cleaner, maybe I was able to push them in better, who knows? 
confused_face_2.gif

I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with the audiologist who did my impressions to see if she could help me identify my fit issues. I'll see how that goes.

Let us know what your audiologist says.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #3,012 of 4,841
Quote:

You could, especially if you insert the impressions and they seem to fit well. But do you really want to take that chance just to save a little money? Imagine you send them in, wait the 2 or 3 or 4 (or more) weeks for your build, receive them, and find they don't fit. Then you go back to square one, and need new impressions anyway, and just lost a lot of time.

I guess it depends on how easy it is for you to wait, versus how easy it is to get new impressions. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,013 of 4,841
Thanks for the advice Average_Joe and Project86 - what you're saying makes sense. I'm actually happy to pay out for new ones, and don't mind waiting... but audiologists are few and far between where I live now. I will continue the search however!  

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3,015 of 4,841
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Average_Joe and Project86 - what you're saying makes sense. I'm actually happy to pay out for new ones, and don't mind waiting... but audiologists are few and far between where I live now. I will continue the search however!  

Where in the UK are you (if you are still there)?  Looking at the manufacturers, it appears there are plenty of audiologists in the UK.

Quote:
Hey, sorry for just popping in, but I just have a quick question. Would it be fine to place my ciem(more specifically, UERM) under UV light to sanitize it?

I haven't tried using the UV light in my hearing aid dryer, but since it is included, I would imagine it is safe since hearing aids are acrylic.  The only issue I can think of is possible discoloration or premature aging of the sound tubes, but the exposure is relatively short.  You can ask UE, but chances are they will say not to do it if they aren't sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back