MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #301 of 512
Hey all MS-2 (lucky) owners!

Got my cans a couple of days ago and i simply adore them... coming from HD595 they sound so much more natural and "right", even with my relatively humble setup (SB3 to mSEED Spirit amp). I can't wait to hear them through some nice amp, a Vincent maybe?

Anyway, the day after i got them i somehow managed to drop them on the floor, with my DAP and amp along as well. it was very traumatic...
frown.gif

The MS-2's at least landed on the pads and soundwise i don't hear anything wrong but as i checked them physically i noticed that the drivers (i mean the whole thing, earcups and all) are moving a bit, in and out, in that plastic arc. here's a pic to clarify the situation:
my.php
[/url][/IMG]

As i had such a short time with them before the accident i havn't noticed this before so I want to know if this is normal or should i send them for repair... thanks.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #302 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all MS-2 (lucky) owners!

Got my cans a couple of days ago and i simply adore them... coming from HD595 they sound so much more natural and "right", even with my relatively humble setup (SB3 to mSEED Spirit amp). I can't wait to hear them through some nice amp, a Vincent maybe?

Anyway, the day after i got them i somehow managed to drop them on the floor, with my DAP and amp along as well. it was very traumatic...
frown.gif

The MS-2's at least landed on the pads and soundwise i don't hear anything wrong but as i checked them physically i noticed that the drivers (i mean the whole thing, earcups and all) are moving a bit, in and out, in that plastic arc. here's a pic to clarify the situation:
my.php
[/url][/IMG]

As i had such a short time with them before the accident i havn't noticed this before so I want to know if this is normal or should i send them for repair... thanks.

If you mean what I think you mean, then it should be like that. My pair has always been like that, and from the look of the whole thing I think it's supposed to move.

I mean that the driver+driverhousing are not glued to the headband plastic Y-thingy holding the driverhousing.

EDIT: It wiggles a bit.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #303 of 512
After nearly a year of not owning MS2's, I have found a pair that shall be mine, pending payment. I am very excited. Damn tax refund needs to hurry up.

Also, these ones have a black grill on them. I've never seen that before. The pair I had originally were a silver grill, and thats all I ever recall seeing. Anyone else have a pair like this?

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #305 of 512
YAY MS-2! I love em! I can listen to them forever. They are my home system headphone. I even made custom tempurpedic pads for them so I can (and do) listen for hours!

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #306 of 512
I'm considering selling my Denon D2000s and buying some of these. Few questions though if you guys don't mind.

Would an EMU 0202 USB be an OK source for these? Or would I need something better? No amp either, just the 0202's amp.

Are these headphones a good choice for say, 50% rock/metal, 50% acoustic type stuff? I mostly listen to female vocalists also. Are they good for that?

Last one, which pads are the most comfortable? Stock ones, or would I have buy different ones?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #307 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would an EMU 0202 USB be an OK source for these? Or would I need something better? No amp either, just the 0202's amp.

Are these headphones a good choice for say, 50% rock/metal, 50% acoustic type stuff? I mostly listen to female vocalists also. Are they good for that?

Last one, which pads are the most comfortable? Stock ones, or would I have buy different ones?

I've been looking at these myself as an upgrade to the MS-1, so I can't provide a direct owner's opinion. But I can give some perspective on Alessandro in general, and the MS-2 on stuff that I have read......

1. These are very easy to drive, so you will get pretty good results unamped. But they will benefit from a low-gain, high current amp.

2a. This headphone is best for rock; they are hard hitting and energetic. Not especially ideal for acoustic where you would generally want a smoother sound with a wide soundstage..... but I doubt it would be 'bad', either.

2b. Be wary that ALL Grado/Alessandro models can have very powerful treble. If you are particularly sensitive, they make some female vocals sound like screaming Banshees and cymbals truly skull piercing. Many people prefer tube amping with Grado/Alessandro because it tends to tame the treble. But the MS-2 is apparently much less piercing than its closest competitor, the Grado 325. Personally, I've never had a problem with my MS-1 and solid state amping.

3. Pads fit is very personal. I find the 'comfy' pads that came with my MS-1's to be fairly uncomfortable, and am going to try a few different options over the next month or two. No matter what anyone says, you *will* have to try a few and see what you like, but FWIW the Sennheiser HD414 pads are supposedly very soft and comfy compared to any of the 'official' pads. Many people claim that specific pads can be used to tame the piercing treble if it bothers you - though trying to get a consensus on sound signature with different pads is like extracting teeth!

If anyone wants to correct me on any points, feel free!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #308 of 512
Thanks Beefy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, female vocals is what I want my next headphone to excel at. Maybe I should try something lower down, like MS1 (Grado's are a pain to get in Europe) to see if I like the sound?

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #309 of 512
My recent post in this thread made me go back and start reading.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But man, they sure do sound good with just an M^3 and a DVD player as the source

...... and this actually fills me with great confidence. I am in the final stages of an M^3 build right now, and have a Cambridge Audio 540Dv2 as my source. Really looking forward to having it all set up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #310 of 512
Quote:

Well, female vocals is what I want my next headphone to excel at. Maybe I should try something lower down, like MS1 (Grado's are a pain to get in Europe) to see if I like the sound?

Grado is difficult to source in Australia too, but I'm not too cut up about it. Alessandro is like Grado-lite, in that they do have the energetic house sound, but are generally a bit smoother and more 'musical'. But to be honest, I don't know that the MS-1 will be that much of a help. From everything I have read, the MS-2 is just such a cut above the MS-1.........

Just to put things further in perspective, my other phones are Audio Technica AD900's. They are FAR more enjoyable than my MS-1 for EVERYTHING I throw at them - except for heavy rock. The AD900 still have really good impact, but they are just a bit more laid back, and they don't quite get the head banging. Thats why I'm looking at the MS-2.... something complementary to the AD900, but hopefully a bit more refined than the MS-1.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #314 of 512
Quote:

What's the difference between MS2 and MS2i? Is there any?

Technically, there is no such thing as an MS2i - Alessandro has only ever sold them as MS2. But there *are* two different models. The earlier model (we're talking 3 years ago now) had a tube/cylinder shaped cup. They were updated to a 'mushroom' shaped cup with a lip of aluminium around the outside. If you buy now, you will get the updated model.

The MS2i name comes from the fact that Grado changed their naming for the 325 to 325i with the cup change. It sort of stuck for Alessandro as well, though some people also call the new ones MS2 'fatboys'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back