**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #707 of 3,203
I was doing some misc tests today on desktop amps and headphones and as I put down in the Zana Deux thread, I found some pretty crazy synergy between the Eddie Current Zana Deux OTL amp and Musica Acoustic's Mad Dog v3.2. It's a pity I have to return Musica Acoutic's MDs on Monday.

I'd highly recommend giving the Zana Deux a test (in my case it's the original version - only has 12 ohm OI...the new Zana Deux Special Edition/ZDSE has a switchable 3/12 ohm) for this headphone.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #711 of 3,203
What were your impressions with the earlier edition of the Mad Dogs that you had?  

When I factor in the outstanding isolation with the Mad Dogs 3.2, they are superior to practically everything else in the same price range that I have heard.  I love the intimacy provided by closed-design headphones over the characteristics of open headphone designs, unless I am able to listen in a very quiet environment with almost no distractions, which is rare for me.  The noise from the AC or refrigerator compressor is enough to ruin the atmosphere at very quiet listening levels for me.  I absolutely love my Mad Dogs.  One of the best purchases I've ever made, and I consider myself to be a bit of a savvy bargain hunter.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #712 of 3,203
What were your impressions with the earlier edition of the Mad Dogs that you had?  

When I factor in the outstanding isolation with the Mad Dogs 3.2, they are superior to practically everything else in the same price range that I have heard.  I love the intimacy provided by closed-design headphones over the characteristics of open headphone designs, unless I am able to listen in a very quiet environment with almost no distractions, which is rare for me.  The noise from the AC or refrigerator compressor is enough to ruin the atmosphere at very quiet listening levels for me.  I absolutely love my Mad Dogs.  One of the best purchases I've ever made, and I consider myself to be a bit of a savvy bargain hunter.

IMO they are the best for the buck hands down. The LCD-2s and HE-500s were sonically better but when you take into consideration things like comfort/closed back/price there's just no comparison.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #713 of 3,203
I just finished DIY'ing a new cable for my Mad Dogs.  What with the dearth of aftermarket cables (and a lack of suitable 90 degree connectors) I figured some of you might be interested in making your own.  

The wire is Mogami 2893 stripped out to its individual strands and sheathed in #1 paracord.  I used a Switchcraft 6.3mm on one end and a Neurtik 90 degree 3.5mm on the other.  I had to file the Neutrik plug down a bit before it would fit, but after some work it snaps into place with a positive *click*.  The cable itself is a 4 cord round braid, even though I only needed 3 wires.  I just like the way the 4 wire braid looks better than a simple 3 cord braid.  

This cable took quite awhile to make, mainly because it's so long (12 feet) but I think it turned out nicely.  And if I were to give some advice to those trying to make their own for the Mad Dogs, it would be to have patience while filing down that plug!

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #714 of 3,203
Nice work there, congratulation!
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #715 of 3,203
I just finished DIY'ing a new cable for my Mad Dogs.  What with the dearth of aftermarket cables (and a lack of suitable 90 degree connectors) I figured some of you might be interested in making your own.  

The wire is Mogami 2893 stripped out to its individual strands and sheathed in #1 paracord.  I used a Switchcraft 6.3mm on one end and a Neurtik 90 degree 3.5mm on the other.  I had to file the Neutrik plug down a bit before it would fit, but after some work it snaps into place with a positive *click*.  The cable itself is a 4 cord round braid, even though I only needed 3 wires.  I just like the way the 4 wire braid looks better than a simple 3 cord braid.  

This cable took quite awhile to make, mainly because it's so long (12 feet) but I think it turned out nicely.  And if I were to give some advice to those trying to make their own for the Mad Dogs, it would be to have patience while filing down that plug!

Looks great, nice job!

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #716 of 3,203
Quote:

I would second that. Took some patience and work to get it filed down. Did you paint over where you did the filing? If so, what did you use?

And great job. You must have a barrel full of patience to sleeve that length of cable. Hats off to you. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #718 of 3,203
Quote:

I would second that. Took some patience and work to get it filed down. Did you paint over where you did the filing? If so, what did you use?

And great job. You must have a barrel full of patience to sleeve that length of cable. Hats off to you. 
beerchug.gif

Nah, I didn't paint it after I was finished.  And it doesn't look too bad, either:

As far as having a barrel full of patience, well, this cable is only a third of the story.  I made 3 cables this weekend, and all of them are 12 feet long braided and sheathed in paracord.  Basically, I watched the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended edition... of course) while working on these.  My wife was duly impressed with my braiding skills, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back