MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Review (and comparison with HD600 and K701)
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #76 of 124
  But the bass doesn't hit like that on a jazz or classical piece. It's linear and true to the recording. 

i am getting the feel that there is less bite/attack/slam on jazz/classicals....from your description? 

Those genres (Jazz and Classical) don't usually call for "a lot" of bite, attack, and slam.  However, the double bass in a Jazz trio sounds great.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #78 of 124
  Hey zowki,

Where did you get the Alpha Dogs from? Is there any Aussie distro that sells them at a decent price?

I bought my Alpha Dogs used from another head-fi user on the for sale section.

You can only buy the Alpha Dogs direct from MrSpeakers. Waiting time is 6 weeks.
https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #81 of 124
I didn't end up buying the Violectric V100. I did a brief non-blind AB comparison with my O2/ODAC and struggled to tell any difference.
your "hear no difference" bliss can come to an end in this type hobby..
the O2 is an exceent SS amp but on comparison to a tube or tube hybrid you may finally become a "believer" and hear the sweet difference..

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #82 of 124
your "hear no difference" bliss can come to an end in this type hobby..
the O2 is an exceent SS amp but on comparison to a tube or tube hybrid you may finally become a "believer" and hear the sweet difference..

I already know that tubes have different sound. Tubes are meant to modify sound to your tastes while SS is supposed to be neutral and transparent. I want to use SS because I desire neutrality and transparency. Any sound modifications can be done with EQ and DSPs for free.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #83 of 124
I already know that tubes have different sound. Tubes are meant to modify sound to your tastes while SS is supposed to be neutral and transparent. I want to use SS because I desire neutrality and transparency. Any sound modifications can be done with EQ and DSPs for free.

so far i have not heard any of the ss amps i owned sounding the same... nuforce/meier/burson/MF/Graham/Lehmann,
they hav their "house sound" of sorts...tough to modulate that away...lessbass/moremids.. hmmmm.
Most claim neutrality/transparency, but fact is some are warmer, some cooler, some clearer, more refined etc etc..
its a whole sea of fishes out there. :p

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #84 of 124
Zowki, great review. I like the comparative approach (especially when I own one of the models :) ).

I think the choice of the O2 was a good one. It's neutral and can drive almost any headphone, so it can illuminate the inherent baseline strengths and weaknesses on an even-steven basis.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #85 of 124

so far i have not heard any of the ss amps i owned sounding the same... nuforce/meier/burson/MF/Graham/Lehmann,
they hav their "house sound" of sorts...tough to modulate that away...lessbass/moremids.. hmmmm.
Most claim neutrality/transparency, but fact is some are warmer, some cooler, some clearer, more refined etc etc..
its a whole sea of fishes out there. :p

I would agree with this. And I'll add that I've never been able to truly achieve a tube sound using EQ. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #86 of 124
I would agree with this. And I'll add that I've never been able to truly achieve a tube sound using EQ. 

I wouldn't think you could replicate Euphonic distortion with EQ. I've seen tube emulation DSP but don't know how close it sounds to real tubes. Plus who doesn't want pretty glowing lights on their amp :p

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #89 of 124
Hi, zowki. Do you still think that MA900 and Alpha Dog really have similar mids after more than one week? I expect the mid should be better than I thought about Alpha Dog, but after reading this additional comparison to MA900 my spirit decreases a bit. I am thinking of selling my HD598 and decide to buy which headphone? The Alpha Dog or the Sony MA900.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #90 of 124
  Hi, zowki. Do you still think that MA900 and Alpha Dog really have similar mids after more than one week? I expect the mid should be better than I thought about Alpha Dog, but after reading this additional comparison to MA900 my spirit decreases a bit. I am thinking of selling my HD598 and decide to buy which headphone? The Alpha Dog or the Sony MA900.

Yes, I still think so. The MA900 mids are very natural like the Alpha Dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back