MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Review (and comparison with HD600 and K701)
Oct 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #47 of 124

Probably because you seem to be concentrating so much on soundstage during your review / listening.... I expect the differences are exaggerated a bit... Not saying you are wrong or that the AD is as good as the other two for soundstage.... But quite a big part of soundstage is your perception of it.

i watched the initial headfi vid again..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones
its inevitable for Zowki/n many of us to have keen interest in how open the soundstage is, since it was supposed to sound "like an open can".
The question begging to be answered of cos is the degree of opennesssss..
when does it breach the magic delineation from CLOSED TO OPENED in one's mind :p
(Zowki's use of the hd600/K701 is a reasonable midtier comparison i submit..a good hurdle to gauge.)

Jude also mentioned that he had  only the ef6 n mjolnor on hand to test then, both v powerful/balanced amps,
so i wouldnt be surprised he heard some BIGBIG sound from those combo in his loft... 
biggrin.gif

BIG enough for him to be very excited during that preview.

Maybe the AD can use more JUICE, lets wait for other reviews to get a better feel.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #48 of 124
Mmm just saying if he was concentrating on the soundstage all the time which it sounds like from the review... then any differences in soundstage would be more exaggerated then if he was just listening to the overall sound. If I sit there and concentrate on soundstage then it seems a lot of more obvious than if I just listen to the music.... Bit pointless me saying this because I have not tried the AD so maybe he is right.... But if they are even 80% of the HD600 and K701 for soundstage then that is impressive for a closed headphone. Think I might skip the AD anyway and get HE500 or LCD2 because I like powerful bass.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #49 of 124
  I am particularly concerned about the comfort as it is really important for me.  Is there a specific reason that the Alpha Dogs ranked so low on comfort?

I per-ordered the Alpha Dogs eight weeks ago and they still haven't shipped (their website says it should take 6 weeks).  Their customer support seems really bad too; it took them over a week to get back to me the first time I emailed them.

It is being compared to two headphones that are well known for being very comfortable.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #50 of 124
  Mmm just saying if he was concentrating on the soundstage all the time which it sounds like from the review... then any differences in soundstage would be more exaggerated then if he was just listening to the overall sound. If I sit there and concentrate on soundstage then it seems a lot of more obvious than if I just listen to the music.... Bit pointless me saying this because I have not tried the AD so maybe he is right.... But if they are even 80% of the HD600 and K701 for soundstage then that is impressive for a closed headphone. Think I might skip the AD anyway and get HE500 or LCD2 because I like powerful bass.

I tried to listen to the headphones as a whole instead of concentrate on soundstage but the soundstage was the difference that sounded most obvious so I couldn't help but make a note of it each time.

I can't say they are even 80% of the HD600 and K701's soundstage, more like 50%. They are not open sounding at all.

Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jude also mentioned that he had  only the ef6 n mjolnor on hand to test then, both v powerful/balanced amps,
so i wouldnt be surprised he heard some BIGBIG sound from those combo in his loft... 
biggrin.gif

In what way is the O2/ODAC lacking? They have enough power to drive almost any headphone except for obscure stuff like the AKG K1000.

Pic!!

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #51 of 124
  I tried to listen to the headphones as a whole instead of concentrate on soundstage but the soundstage was the difference that sounded most obvious so I couldn't help but make a note of it each time.

I can't say they are even 80% of the HD600 and K701's soundstage, more like 50%. They are not open sounding at all.

Ha ha - this is your opinion obviously, and may be the case with the 02.  However, it seems the folks that's liking the ADs are using them on different amps other than the 02.  

I'm using mine on a speaker amp.  The sound is grand, open, nice and airy.  No not like an HD800 but not 50% behind it either.  Yes - I would say on my rig 80% of the HD00 is about right.  I'm still not sure how we come up with these percentages.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #52 of 124

I'm using mine on a speaker amp.  The sound is grand, open, nice and airy.  No not like an HD800 but not 50% behind it either.  Yes - I would say on my rig 80% of the HD00 is about right.  I'm still not sure how we come up with these percentages.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

~Steven Wright

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #53 of 124
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to ask, are the Alpha Dog's Alpha pads any different than the Mad Dog's Alpha Pads in terms of overall comfort? I think mrspeakers said the Alpha Dog's are a little thicker at one point.

And then, how is the overall comfort of the Alpha Dogs [without the comfort strap]? I've tried my friend's Mad Dogs and I'm not sure I would be able to wear them comfortably for a few hours as they were quite heavy on my head (if I tilted my head forward, I felt like they were going to fall off my head; a good indicator that a headphone is too heavy for me).

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #55 of 124
  And then, how is the overall comfort of the Alpha Dogs [without the comfort strap]? I've tried my friend's Mad Dogs and I'm not sure I would be able to wear them comfortably for a few hours as they were quite heavy on my head (if I tilted my head forward, I felt like they were going to fall off my head; a good indicator that a headphone is too heavy for me).

Comfort without the comfort strap is bad. There is too much pressure on the top of my head.
The Alpha Dogs are rather heavy and have a lot of clamping pressure. Comfort isn't great but it's ok. More comfortable than the LCD2/LCD3 but less comfortable than just about everything else.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #58 of 124
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

Zowki:
In what way is the O2/ODAC lacking? They have enough power to drive almost any headphone except for obscure stuff like the AKG K1000.

===============================================================================================

Lorspeaker...replying

o2 : Max Output (33 Ohms): 613 mW

ef6: Max Output: Class A 5W at 50 Ohms

Schiit Mjolnor
Maximum Power, 50 ohms5.0W
Maximum Power, 32 ohms  8.0w

i think it goes something like this as above....technically i am a zero...copied from respective sites.

-------------

For me,  i just look at the size of the metal casing...bigger n heavier = more powerful   
tongue_smile.gif

My audioGd Nfb10 puts out about 6w i believe..in balanced mode the soundstage expanded 32.9765%

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #59 of 124
log(6000 mW / 0.29 mW) / log(2) = 14.34
90 dB + 3 dB * 14.34 = 133.02 dB

That's quite loud.

log(613 mW / 0.29 mW) / log(2) = 11.04
90 dB + 3 dB * 11.04 = 123.12 dB

That's still quite loud.

I'm pretty sure the O2 more than enough juice to power the Mad Dog 2013 according to Innerfidelity's sensitivity measurement, and more so for the Alpha Dog provided it's more efficient.

Protect your hearing; don't listen to music too loud.
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/training/ppetrain/dblevels.htm

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #60 of 124
there is a certain power level at which a can goes from closed to become open...
like a plane hitting the sonic boom n running free  when it breaks the sound barrier,
or battlestar galactica going lightspeed.. ok just musing...can some scientists help?

my denon d7000 just sounded crazy good when i hit it with 40watts. ..warpspeed i guess. hehe.
i know there is loudness from my ipad too..but its diff. dunno y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back