MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #7,381 of 9,071
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #7,382 of 9,071
if anyone has a need for a triple threat adapter from double helix cables, to allow the AD to use audeze type cables, i'm putting an ad up on the
b/s forum, accessories , or give me a pm

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #7,383 of 9,071
Hello folks,

I will soon receive my Alpha Dog headphones and I am very excited!

How well does the Burson Conductor SL 1793 pair with these phones? Although outside my budget, I might be able to grab this amp for a steal!

Also, what else do you guys recommend?

At the moment I am using a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC paired with a Shiit Magni for the T50RP that I modded myself.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7,384 of 9,071
Well, I'd have to suggest the lyr/lyr2. It's really tough to beat the pairing and price. There are some very good deals on the original lyr here now and the lyr2 is a nice upgrade. 

Dan even made some nice positive comments on the pairing. 

Good luck and welcome to HF!! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7,386 of 9,071
  Well, I'd have to suggest the lyr/lyr2. It's really tough to beat the pairing and price. There are some very good deals on the original lyr here now and the lyr2 is a nice upgrade. 

Dan even made some nice positive comments on the pairing. 

Good luck and welcome to HF!! 
biggrin.gif

I've never been a big fan of tubes and their "warm" sound. In my past experience with tubes I did not like them, except with really old recordings or live concerts.

But of course, if tubes do really well with these phones I might give it another try since generalizing all tube amps seems silly.

Knowing this information about me, would you still recommend the Lyr 2?

Thanks BTW! I've been a long time lurker here, about time I start posting.
biggrin.gif

I'm still curious whether the Conductor 1793 goes well with the Alpha dogs. Anyone tried this pairing?

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #7,387 of 9,071
The AD loves power. The pair with the original lyr was quite good. The lyr2 is supposed to sound better, so it should be an improvement for sure. Neither of these amps is technically a tube amp, but rather a hybrid. 

Sorry but I have not heard the Burson. Jaywillin has had one. You might ask him. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,388 of 9,071

I've never been a big fan of tubes and their "warm" sound. In my past experience with tubes I did not like them, except with really old recordings or live concerts.

All tube amps do not sound the same. All tubes do not sound the same. The LYR is receptive to tube rolling and you can achieve a multitude of sounds based on the tube.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #7,389 of 9,071
  Hello folks,

I will soon receive my Alpha Dog headphones and I am very excited!

How well does the Burson Conductor SL 1793 pair with these phones? Although outside my budget, I might be able to grab this amp for a steal!

Also, what else do you guys recommend?

At the moment I am using a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC paired with a Shiit Magni for the T50RP that I modded myself.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

I can't comment on the conductor, but I do have a Soloist- and it is one of the finest pairings I've ever heard.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #7,390 of 9,071
Just some update with my tube amp adventure on Alpha Dog.

I have the opportunity to try out the Alpha Dog with Little Dog Mk8se, I drag my friend to try out the MK6 with me, and he become addict to tube headphone amp over the night, and bought a MK8SE within a week. This is a factory mod version.

The AD sounds great with the Mk8SE, but the attack and slam on the MK6 still win my heart.

On the other hand, my MK6 finally arrived, and I have customized a wall mounted rack to setup the system at my bedside, I can barely stretch my hand to my reach the volume, and now I can live with my Alpha Dog happily ever since

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #7,392 of 9,071
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #7,393 of 9,071
Sweet! Sure hope you don't live in Earthquake country, though.

My bedside setup is my Woo Audio W7p.

Now, this can work as a backup for the day after tomorrow! :cool:

Woo 7 is one of the best looking headphone amp. I have ever come across, I almost press the Buy button before I get to hear it sing.

Hong Kong is kind of free from earthquake, we only have typhoon attack once in a while, fortunately not strong enough to drag me away from my Alpha Dog.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #7,394 of 9,071
Wow!! :eek: That last pic shows true dedication. Nice gear btw.

Thanks, this is the best I can afford,.. in terms of space.

My desktop system is still half-cooked. Right now I am feeding my DAC from a DAP (Fiio X5) coaxial, looking forward to acquire a desktop digital transport solution down the road,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back