MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #5,552 of 9,071
600 in humid climate due to moisture slowing down the electron buildup phase within the drivers.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,553 of 9,071
Is there a good way to [approximately] volume-match DACs? It's hard for me to do a fair ODAC/O2 vs C5D comparison since I have to switch the USB cable, wait for the device to be recognised, and play music. I'm just playing a 1 kHz sine wave right now and trying to volume-match that after listening to it for a good minute to get it burned into my head.

Listening to 1 kHz sine waves isn't very fun...

Bah, anyway. From general listening sessions, I find the C5D to have better synergy with the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog than the ODAC/O2 combo despite the technical differences. Technically, the ODAC/O2 has a harder-hitting bass, much better-defined instruments, well-extended treble, and is revealing of the headphone's characteristic sound. The Alpha Dog seems to have a treble peak that makes hi-hats sound artificial, and the C5D reduces that sound. It's hard to make the call on which combo sounds better though since I really enjoy the overall spacious sound of the ODAC/O2, its well-defined instruments, and easy-to-follow bass; it sounds more transparent to me with the exception of revealing the Alpha Dog's treble peak. The C5D has better instrument layering, a slightly soft treble response, a slightly more forward midrange, and overall sounds more musical. I hate using that word on the other hand since it's so vague; with the C5D, the Alpha Dog just sounds more groovy and I'm able to get into the music more. The ODAC/O2 sounds more sterile in that the music is just there.

Their overall sound signatures are roughly the same though, so I guess it's a "pick your poison" kind of scenario. XD

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #5,554 of 9,071
Sarcastic comments aside, break-in is real for the Alpha Dogs, as with most other headphones and electronic components.  
I found a significant improvement after 24 hours or so, as have others who have commented the same earlier in this thread.  Just trying to be helpful to the poster above who says "I have noticed, they don't quite have the same upper end treble sparkle that my LCD2v2's have, but that is too be expected of a closed neutral set of cans."

With break-in, It's very likely that the treble will develop the "sparkle."  In fact, the treble is one of the strengths of the Alpha Dogs.  See the 6Moons review by Srajan Ebaen who, ironically, comments specifically about the Alpha Dogs treble and how it is superior to the LCD2-- the very cans mentioned by the OP in his comparison.  

But if you don't hear it, so be it.  Not my problem.

Maybe the poster should then follow the other helpful comments about 548 hours break-in etc. etc.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #5,555 of 9,071
I don't buy into break-in at all. It's your ears that adjust to the headphones. Not the other way around. Of course this is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,556 of 9,071
Burn in/break in all depends on what cans you have.  Some needs it, some don't.  For instance, I hated my HD650's and AD1000x straight outta the box but end up loving them later.  My Mad Dogs and w1000x IMHO didn't need much.  Just depends…  

Everyone's got their own opinion and this is mine…  
biggrin.gif

Happy listening...

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,557 of 9,071
  Burn in/break in all depends on what cans you have.  Some needs it, some don't.  For instance, I hated my HD650's and AD1000x straight outta the box but end up loving them later.  My Mad Dogs and w1000x IMHO didn't need much.  Just depends…  

Everyone's got their own opinion and this is mine…  
biggrin.gif

Happy listening...

I kinda agree with this too personally that some do and some don't. And those that do, do so at varying degrees (or length of burn-in time I should say). The reason why I don't solely go for the accimatisation explanation is that a few years back I had been lucky in a few cases of getting access to multiple units of the same headphones in the past and burn in one or two of the units but not the others and compare. So it's not going by memory but A/B-ing broken in (sadly not that long...24 hrs or overnight really) with BNIB.

Unfortunately the Alpha Dogs weren't one of the models where I got that privilege 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #5,558 of 9,071
This magical burn in nonsense needs to stop right here. Go to your science threads for that. Mentioning that X-headphone needs X amount of time to break in is some utter misinformation. Just stop it.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5,559 of 9,071
  Sarcastic comments aside, break-in is real for the Alpha Dogs, as with most other headphones and electronic components. 

On the contrary, most people have gathered that the T50RP driver does not benefit much at all from burn-in. I have found this to be the case when modding the T50RP (started a few years ago), with the Mad Dog, Paradox, etc.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5,561 of 9,071
First of all, to say a new headphone like the Alpha Dog needs 24 hours of break in is just utter tripe wrought out of thin air.

Within the first few days you're getting accustomed to a new headphone's sound.

A headphone's sound can vary by many INTERNAL factors. Things like mental, physical states, fatigue, mood, among other things. Many things associated more with the BRAIN than by the equipment itself.

It's a lot more realistic and proven than some random made up number of hours followed by some mystical, ALWAYS positive change of drivers.

Life is all about perception, not by actual facts. If you believe something enough, it becomes true, even if it isn't.

So leave that tripe to the science forum, instead of spewing forth some nonsense about how a headphone needs X amount of hours. It's stupid.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #5,563 of 9,071
Any London headfiers around the centre? (NW1 or something?)
I would appreciate if some could let me visit and experience the ADs!
You put the ADs Ill put the wine! :)
PM me if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back