MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5,521 of 9,071
  Not redundant at all.  Two different sound sigs.  The HE-6 has more air (open) the AD is more intimate.  They work good together for me.

Head-Fi ... where no headphones are ever truly redundant. I use this one with jazz, this one with Indie rock from Detroit, this one only with Freddy Mercury, that one ...

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,524 of 9,071
  @mrspeakers

Hi, As far as I see the 'factory' bass settings per cap are sometimes different. One might be 1 turn the other 1.5 turns. I suspect that can be for example, because of the paint near the vary-bass or other internal things (not a problem though!).

The question is: Have you done measurements that seem to depict a linear function between the turns and the frequency response above the factory setting? I don't thing its only a matter of 'initial offset' (1 turn VS 1.5 turns). So turning the bass 1 more turn on L cap won't be at all the same with turning 1 more turn the R cap!? (So is it a linear relation in all pairs and the 'factory setting' is just an offset?)

Are there any freq response plots with different settings? 

Thanks

Hi...  Yes, it is very common for the turns to be different.  As part of the tuning process on the Mad Dogs we were always fiddling with the port size, this allowed us external control.  In general, for Alphas where the port is less than 3 turns open, one full turn is about 2dB.  On some Alphas the port is over 3 turns open and then the result of a full turn may only be 1dB.  In short, the more the vent is open the less the relative increase for each additional turn.

This is part of why this is an unsupported feature.  We can guarantee it lets us match channels during tuning, but there is enough variation in the Fostex drivers that we can't guarantee how much bass can be added, though there is usually an audible increase that can be obtained.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #5,525 of 9,071
The Matte Black option is now up on the site.  British Racing Green took second after black.  I'm going to check the IP addresses to see if there was anything funny going on, as this happened at the last minute, and blue had been a strong #2 most of the balloting.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,526 of 9,071

So what about the older pairs?  If I wanted mines to be the new black - I guess I'm SOL huh ??

Yeah, there's nothing we can do to reasonably change those for anyone.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #5,529 of 9,071
British Racing is serious business apparently. lol

For that type of poll, not hard to manipulate. Just need access to a number of computers (like a school lab, although I think they might have the same IP in some cases), or get people on their Facebook or something to chime in. My friend used that site to help determine an "album of the year" for his site and the results were all wacky.

Not trying to be a pest (color is a minor detail when you consider the overall quality), but would it be worth doing a limited edition for a color that doesn't make it? Maybe charge a $50-$100 premium? Just thinking out loud.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,531 of 9,071
I thought I mentioned this earlier, but discount one of the BRG votes because out of curiosity I tried to see if it'd let me vote again knowing that it wouldn't make a difference in the end result and it actually went through. But I'm very excited to see what matte black looks like!

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #5,534 of 9,071
I wanted a nice black gloss too, but then I remembered my old laptop was gloss black and...

It would always get on my nerves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back