MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #5,536 of 9,071

Hi...  Yes, it is very common for the turns to be different.  As part of the tuning process on the Mad Dogs we were always fiddling with the port size, this allowed us external control.  In general, for Alphas where the port is less than 3 turns open, one full turn is about 2dB.  On some Alphas the port is over 3 turns open and then the result of a full turn may only be 1dB.  In short, the more the vent is open the less the relative increase for each additional turn.

This is part of why this is an unsupported feature.  We can guarantee it lets us match channels during tuning, but there is enough variation in the Fostex drivers that we can't guarantee how much bass can be added, though there is usually an audible increase that can be obtained.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is understandable (as I though it is, finding the correct balance without instruments is almost crazy)!

Can someone ordering from you directly (the site) order his pair to be +2db lets say more from the 'factory' tuning that you do? So the default will be +2db matched in both sides by our team?

thanks

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #5,541 of 9,071
  Thanks for the quick reply. This is understandable (as I though it is, finding the correct balance without instruments is almost crazy)!

Can someone ordering from you directly (the site) order his pair to be +2db lets say more from the 'factory' tuning that you do? So the default will be +2db matched in both sides by our team?

thanks

Sorry, we can't do that.  It sounds easy but these kinds of special requests are always hard to reliably deliver on and it's the exceptions and after-order changes that create the most difficulty.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #5,542 of 9,071
Sorry, we can't do that.  It sounds easy but these kinds of special requests are always hard to reliably deliver on and it's the exceptions and after-order changes that create the most difficulty.  

Yes you are right.. It was probably an impulse question! Now that I read you reply really seems not viable at all from your perspective!
Thanks, I'm very close to ordering one :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #5,543 of 9,071
Heh heh... you can order one, return it, and order another until you get your +2db wish. :wink:

just kidding don't do that

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,544 of 9,071
I wanted a nice black gloss too, but then I remembered my old laptop was gloss black and...

It would always get on my nerves.

Ew...I hate it when I have to touch a laptop like that. Or when people randomly touch your pristine glossy laptop screen in order to point something out. >.>

I'm surprised at how not fingerprint-magnetty the Alpha Dog is. Whatever kind of sparkly pixie dust mrspeakers uses, it works quite well.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,545 of 9,071
  The Matte Black option is now up on the site.  British Racing Green took second after black.  I'm going to check the IP addresses to see if there was anything funny going on, as this happened at the last minute, and blue had been a strong #2 most of the balloting.  

I voted blue!!! Lol
Seriously, the only reason I have my Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, is because they are blue and look great!
Am I ready to have 2 sets of ADs and sell the Momentums?!?!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5,546 of 9,071
  Not that I hate matte black or that I want to bust anyone's balls but....

Beautiful and classy.

Justin Bieber

The choice is yours.

That was a good visual...............but have you seen the TH600?  Matte Black and gorgeous. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #5,547 of 9,071
I received my Alpha Dogs today. Awesome fit and finish, couldn't be happier with the looks.
A bit heavier than i thought they'd be but im sure ill get used to it (Compared to lcd2).
SQ is awesome so far. Being a bass-head i was afraid they wouldn't satisfy my needs, but they put out plenty off bass, just not exaggerated at all.
I have eq'd them a bit via jriver to suite my tastes, but even with no eq the bass is ample. (id rather not adjust the bass set screw.)

I have noticed, they don't quite have the same upper end treble sparkle that my LCD2v2's have, but that is too be expected of a closed neutral set of cans.
I cant wait for my Norse Norn 8 Wire balanced to come in, very interested too see if it further increases the sq of these cans.

My only complaint is that the stand is a bit too short for practical use when cable is connected to the cans. I don't want to remove the cable when not in use....
As seen in my second picture, when the cable is connected to the alpha dogs, the stand cannot be used correctly, as the cable connects hit the base of the stand.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #5,550 of 9,071
  Discussing sound quality minutes after receiving them, without any break-in, is an exercise in futility.  They need at least 24 hours of break-in.  

During the tuning period they are not broken in either.
I doubt there is that much of a difference after breaking in with this set of cans.
However i do not claim breaking in to be a myth and im sure these will benefit over time from it. Certainly doesn't make my impressions futile simply because they don't meet your standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back