Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #61 of 419
  Can we add 4-Pin Headphone jack amp to the suggestions?  I have some 4-Pin XLR Fostex Mod's coming to me that were used.  I see manufacturers are extremely proud pricewise of their 4-pin balanced amps.  Is there a lower priced 4-Pin amp out there?  I don't mind used...  Have they been making these 4-pin amps for a years?  One more thing, will it really make a difference if I get a 4-pin or just a decent amp with a 1/8" jack.  I just got a Garage1217 Starlight that's setup to power my headphones.  Jeremy at Garage1217 was GREAT to work with, and he loves and is very familiar Dan's Mr. Speaker headphones!! 

When I get the headphones, I'll let you know how they sound. 

I'll be very interested to hear your opinion of the Starlight when you get the headphones, as I'll be purchasing an Ember soon.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #62 of 419
Was it an "a-ha" moment, or just ho-hum. I swear they sound pretty good with an E17, but if the 11.32 or 15.32 really delivers, I'll have to pick one of them up.
I don't have the e17 but for me it was night and day against my portable at the time which was a JDS C5. It's also better than my PB2

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #63 of 419
I'm running SE not balanced

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #64 of 419
It occurs to me that the analogy of transparency of a window, might not make much sense to someone who primarily listens to music that it has no reference point for the sound.  This can be great music, such as Electronic Dance Music (which is one of my favorite genres).

This is why I do sound quality testing primarily with very well recorded acoustic music, such as Buena Vista Social Club, Alison Krauss and Union Station, and classical from the RCA Living Stereo era, such as Reiner's Scheherazade.   I know what those instruments are supposed to sound like in person.  (I happen to also know what those microphones sound like, but that is a subtlety that is not strictly necessary.)

So, my sources (music player and DAC) are chosen so that they get those instruments to sound as close as possible to what they sound like in person.

I also check with electronic music, just to make sure that the source works well with those (Dark Side of the Moon, Derek & the Dominos, NWA, Galactic, Bob Marley, Bjork).  Usually sources that work well with acoustic music will work well with electronic music if they also have good bass quality...

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #65 of 419
Yes oodles and more than enough

1800mWatts is oodles of power? Isn't that just 2x the power of the Schiit Magni (and Asgard 2)? Well look at me for thinking the Audio-gd NFB-28 (6500 mWatts Single ended) would me just about right. If that is too much power necessary, I would be interested to know as that saves me money (hopefully) too.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #66 of 419
1800mWatts is oodles of power? Isn't that just 2x the power of the Schiit Magni (and Asgard 2)? Well look at me for thinking the Audio-gd NFB-28 (6500 mWatts Single ended) would me just about right. If that is too much power necessary, I would be interested to know as that saves me money (hopefully) too.

It was mentioned somewhere in the mad dog thread that Dan recommends around 1W for the mad dogs to deliver optimum performance. Though additional headroom is always nice to have 6.5W would be way too much and is intended to power speakers.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #67 of 419
I don't have the e17 but for me it was night and day against my portable at the time which was a JDS C5. It's also better than my PB2

Hi very interested in what sort of night and day difference you hear. If you can describe it please that would be very helpful.

Did the soundstage widen? Bass or treble improve? Etc. thanks!

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #68 of 419
Hi very interested in what sort of night and day difference you hear. If you can describe it please that would be very helpful.

Did the soundstage widen? Bass or treble improve? Etc. thanks!

The MDs sounded congested,muffled and more typical of a closed can via the JDS C5. On the AudioGD the sound stage sounds much wider. Everything including bass, mids and treble sounds a couple of steps cleaner. The MDs start to sound like open cans rather than closed ones

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #69 of 419
Best amp that I have heard the MD with (or AD for that matter) is my vintage Pioneer sx1280. There is something about the four coke can sized capacitors (no joke) that just makes some magic. Then a distant second is the lyr...maybe distant is an overstatement. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #70 of 419
Wo
Best amp that I have heard the MD with (or AD for that matter) is my vintage Pioneer sx1280. There is something about the four coke can sized capacitors (no joke) that just makes some magic. Then a distant second is the lyr...maybe distant is an overstatement. 

So is it true that pairing orthos with vintage receivers is better than modern ss or hybrid amp?

And would it be generally true to most vintage receivers? Not just specific models?

Thanks

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #71 of 419
Wo
So is it true that pairing orthos with vintage receivers is better than modern ss or hybrid amp?

And would it be generally true to most vintage receivers? Not just specific models?

Thanks

That's gonna vary greatly depending on which receiver you're talking about and which ss/hybrid amp you're comparing it to. As well as on who you ask.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #74 of 419
Having read through quite a bit of the Audio GD 15.32 and 11.32 threads, it does sound like both options are quite good for the MDs, though many have mentioned occasional driver issues. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one or the other for me...I'm not sure how they've implemented the DACs for both - nobody has done a comparison of the two. It's assumed that the Wolfson (15.32) is warmer than the Sabre (11.32), but as someone pointed out, it is all in how it's implemented. The generalization may still be true, but it cannot be assumed. These 2 amp/dacs from Audio-GD seem to offer great value (and power) and must be considered imo.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #75 of 419
  Can we add 4-Pin Headphone jack amp to the suggestions?  I have some 4-Pin XLR Fostex Mod's coming to me that were used.  I see manufacturers are extremely proud pricewise of their 4-pin balanced amps.  Is there a lower priced 4-Pin amp out there?  I don't mind used...  Have they been making these 4-pin amps for a years?  One more thing, will it really make a difference if I get a 4-pin or just a decent amp with a 1/8" jack.  I just got a Garage1217 Starlight that's setup to power my headphones.  Jeremy at Garage1217 was GREAT to work with, and he loves and is very familiar Dan's Mr. Speaker headphones!! 

When I get the headphones, I'll let you know how they sound. 

Recommendations on balanced amps is of course going to be helpful. You may want to look for a used one in the for sale threads - there is usually something available that meets your needs; if not, post a wanted ad - someone will contact you eventually.

Please do let us know how the Starlight sounds with your Mad Dogs after it arrives.

Cheers,

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back