Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #31 of 419
popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #35 of 419
  Music is inherently subjective - you have to learn to recognize what the artist is doing, based on other music you have heard, and other life experiences.

Audio is inherently subjective - every pair of ears is different, so two people can be in the same room (and even sit in the same spot for two playbacks), and actually hear different things.

Everything that a person might describe as "truth" is simply what they themselves have decided.  A necessary part of life, of course, otherwise we would never do anything.

What anyone says is simply their statement, it can only be "truth" in the mind of someone who reads it.

Nothing about that is different between any two posts on head-fi (or anywhere else).

Thank you for reiterating what I've been trying to explain to you. Either way, I wasn't expecting to change your opinion. Just let everyone else know a few things that I believe are to be true. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #36 of 419
  Has anybody had good results with tube amps? I have my eye on the Darkvoice 336SE...

I'm using the Taboo MKII,with excellent results
SQ across is slightly on the warm side,but that's what I prefer,... I bought this amp ,because of the tube signature

Mike

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #37 of 419
I'll tell you what, that little Woo Fireflies tube DAC / amp combo is beautiful and sounds really, really good with the MD's. Too bad I'm a carry around solid state guy...

I've tried a couple other tube amps. The MDs respond well.

I am using the CEntrance HIFI-M8 balanced with them. It is excellent.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #38 of 419
Not surprised by the Woo Fireflies...looks like a true high-end headphone amp. I tried the E17/E09K combo today at a shop and it didn't impress me. For these ears, it is not at all worth it to add the E09K to the chain. I don't know if my mind was playing tricks on me, but it seemed to push vocals a bit forward. It has an output impedance of about 10 ohms, so that may have something to do with it. I also tried the Darkvoice 336SE, but they didn't really give it enough time to warm up. I thought it sounded okay, but there was no 'wow' factor whatsoever. The jury is still out on that one, but I can't say I'm all that interested in it. It's quite large, too. One thing I can say is that it does not power the MDs very well - I could turn the knob all the way up without it becoming ear-shattering. It was too loud for a long session, but I was surprised that such a big piece of equipment generated so little sound.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #39 of 419
Burson Audio ha-160 is on sale for $400, now I don't know what I want to do. I was originally going to go with Aune T1 for my DAC and Project Ember for my amp, should I replace Project Ember with the Burson?

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #40 of 419
  Burson Audio ha-160 is on sale for $400, now I don't know what I want to do. I was originally going to go with Aune T1 for my DAC and Project Ember for my amp, should I replace Project Ember with the Burson?

Unless you have Mad Dogs, nobody in this thread will care much. We're focusing on amps that pair well with Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs. I do wish you well on your decision. I will say that the Burson will mean less clutter, but the Aune and Ember will look cooler.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #41 of 419
  Unless you have Mad Dogs, nobody in this thread will care much. We're focusing on amps that pair well with Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs. I do wish you well on your decision. I will say that the Burson will mean less clutter, but the Aune and Ember will look cooler.

I'm planning on getting them simultaneously with Mad Dogs, actually. Specifically for that pairing. I assumed that that was implied, since this IS the mad dog amp pairing thread, but I guess not. Also the fact that I said as much on the last page might've been a good clue, but yeah.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #42 of 419

Great amp, but lacks power. There are other options better allocated specifically for the Mad Dog. In that price range look into getting a Audio GD, Schiit, or Yulong. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #43 of 419

Great amp, but lacks power. There are other options better allocated specifically for the Mad Dog. In that price range look into getting a Audio GD, Schiit, or Yulong. 

Which one are you referring to? I don't know much about the Burson, but the Ember is supposed to have plenty of power

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #45 of 419

I'm planning on getting them simultaneously with Mad Dogs, actually. Specifically for that pairing. I assumed that that was implied, since this IS the mad dog amp pairing thread, but I guess not. Also the fact that I said as much on the last page might've been a good clue, but yeah.

Sorry, I didn't see (or remember) your post on the previous page, so it seemed to come out of left field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back