Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #407 of 419
Could anyone recommend a desktop setup for $300 - $400 for MDP?

I mainly listen to a rock, metal, hip hop, edm, and source would be MacBook Pro (retina) and maybe iPhone 5S if there is anything portable to compete with the desktop. 

I've read through the thread (multiple times!) and still torn.
I think the JDS ODAC looks ideal from what people have been saying

Im looking at:
- magni/modi
- Asgard 2/JDS ODAC (Bifrost little pricey)
- JDS O2+ODAC 
- Project Ember/ no idea on ODAC to go with it

which setup would be the best for this?
Is there Fiio stack I could run with it?

Could anyone also explain the difference between these so I could eliminate one?
- EHP-O2Di Desktop Headphone Amplifier/DAC
- JDS O2+ODAC 

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #408 of 419

I mainly listen to a rock, metal, hip hop, edm, and source would be MacBook Pro (retina) and maybe iPhone 5S if there is anything portable to compete with the desktop. 

Im looking at:
- magni/modi
- JDS O2+ODAC 

Could anyone also explain the difference between these so I could eliminate one?
- JDS O2+ODAC 

The EHP-O2Di and JDS O2+ODAC are essentially the same. JDS is based in the US and EHP in the UK. If you are in the US, get the one from JDS Labs. If you are in the EU, get the one from Epiphany Acoustics. If you are based elsewhere, then you need to evaluate shipping and customs to determine which one to choose.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #410 of 419

Im looking at:
- magni/modi
- JDS O2+ODAC 

- JDS O2+ODAC 

I know your looking for a desktop setup, but the JDS Labs C5D is portable and performs just as well as a desktop amp. Don't forget about the little guys!

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #411 of 419
  I know your looking for a desktop setup, but the JDS Labs C5D is portable and performs just as well as a desktop amp. Don't forget about the little guys!

I had a JDS C5D, and it couldn't power my modded T50RP's, even on high gain. It would start to clip and distort. I like JDS's stuff but the C5D will not power planars like a desktop amp.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #412 of 419

I had a JDS C5D, and it couldn't power my modded T50RP's, even on high gain. It would start to clip and distort. I like JDS's stuff but the C5D will not power planars like a desktop amp.

I am using the JDS Lab's C5D with my modded T50RPs right now... Perhaps I just listen to music very quietly... 

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #413 of 419
Bottom line us that the C5d isn't in the same league as a desktop amp. I sold mine for that very reason.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #415 of 419
I did not think the O2 was a good match for the Mad Dogs.  I don't have an ODAC, I use a MF V-Dac.  I did not really love the Mad Dogs until I got a vintage receiver which was a little brighter.  The Mad Dogs can sound sterile and uninspiring with some set-ups.  The O2 is very neutral which is excellent for many headphones, just not the Mad Dogs imho.  It can get loud, but it lacked the exciting edginess I wanted.  
MD are not analytical headphones, they are fun, they need an amp/dac that will make them not so polite.  I know it is not always possible, but listen to some different equipment with the headphones.  Bring them to friends or family's houses or a stereo store and listen, you will get a good education, then buy.  Your opinion is more important than other people's recommendations (no offense people).  I was lucky to have some equipment to listen before I spent any money.  I would not be satisfied if I could only power them with the O2.  BTW I am not getting rid of the O2, it matches well with my other headphones, but the MD are my best headphones, by far.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #416 of 419
I have the Mad Dog Pro and have used it with Magni 2 and Vali. Both amps were fine power wise but seemed to induce slight background crackles and pops to often for my liking. I noticed a class A amp/dac on sale here in Oz, the Xindak H-1, for $240 delivered, $399 rrp. I can't speak to the quality of the usb dac but the amp is very good for the MDP, certainly a cut above the Schitt amps, for only a few shekels more. Kick drum, toms, rimshots sound authentic and basslines neither plod or sound one chord. Not up there with my Vincent Khv-1 but then the Xindak is less than half the price. Definitely not a boring combo.

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #418 of 419
Ive been running my MDPs on a o2 amp with my laptop's dax but strangely found the sound uninspiring until i switched to high gain and lower the the volume on my laptop. Can anyone explain this?

Also if anyones had success with vintage receivers let me know what youre using! Thinking about trying to find one used

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #419 of 419
Would Mad Dogs go well paired with a Little Dot I+ and a Schiit Modi? I have the ability to buy a black plasti-dipped schiit modi that looks FANTASTIC and i feel like it would match insanely well with the little dot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back