Most overrated headphones?
Feb 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #167 of 1,490
Well I was kinda speaking for others but I did see the SR60's mentioned in this thread a few times. Then again, a lot of headphones were mentioned which leaves very few options on what's actually worth it.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #168 of 1,490
Gotta say, don't shoot me but i really don't get the R10s.  I may have only heard the bass light, but I heard several pairs at canjam 09 and i heard what i know was bass light at a recent local meet.  Very unimpressed.  Maybe i will get a chance to hear a verified bass heavy in the future and i will pay a lot of attention, but for now they are very over rated.  Hope i can eat my words someday on it though, i would love to be impressed.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #169 of 1,490

Quote:
Well I was kinda speaking for others but I did see the SR60's mentioned in this thread a few times. Then again, a lot of headphones were mentioned which leaves very few options on what's actually worth it.

Its 'worth it' if you enjoy your purchase - I dont spend too much time wondering whether my kit matches the aspirations of the cool kids on Head-Fi.

Trust me, it doesnt matter what the headphone is, someone here will love it and someone will loathe it. When the HD800 was initially released, there was a barrage of threads proclaiming them as the world's greatest cans - inevitably, there was a backlash, but that shouldnt stop you or I wanting to hear them for ourselves.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #172 of 1,490
Haha wow, you just single handedly pissed off half of head-fi. Well done!

Jokes aside, I do really enjoy my M50s, in my view they do live up the 'hype' around here. However, I can perfectly see these sounding bad coming right out of an iphone, because they do. It's not just about the phones, it's what you use it with them that also matters.

Quote:
Most overrated - a tie between the M50 and the LCD2.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #173 of 1,490
Nothing against the headphone itself, but the HD650. Pretty reasonable headphone, a bit overpriced which hurts it. It's the crowd that follows them that drives me crazy. I have zero interest in the phones, but I've heard them quite a few times. The first time I had all of 10 hours to try over $50 000 of headphones. Since then my opinion of them has not changed. Amazing 'relaxing drink in a dark room' headphones, but I would not want them near daylight. I'd love to own a pair though, if someone would buy me one.

The crow that follows them is probably the worst. Perhaps it's only 1 or 2 people that ruin their reputation for me, but it matters nonetheless.

The M50 I feel deserves its spot. $100 for a slightly bassy, relatively neutral closed headphone? There is nothing else. The shures were more expensive and boring, which does not suit the crowd that is looking for the m50s.

Underrated, RE1. As much as the head-direct/hifiman comany is questionable, I think this is one hidden gem that I would still enjoy from day 1, even though I don't really feel a burning desire for them. The triple fi 10 were also surprisingly nice for their price, which shows how big of a role expectations play on our experiences (there's a detailed study somewhere, which is why I dislike headfi so much; I am reminded of this perpetually). I was expecting it to be 'meh', but the U signature was extremely enjoyable.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #174 of 1,490
K701s.

Weird plasticy resonance at certain frequencies which I found really annoying. Particularly obvious on rim shots. No bass to speak of, very bright and fatiguing with proper 'every day' recorded  music. Rubbish build quality, flawed design but were comfy and looked cool.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #175 of 1,490
Overrated - K70x.

When a headphone need to be paired to specific amps to sound good (referring to signature, not power needed), that's no better than it needing to be EQ-ed to be enjoyed. An amp should there to enhance what's already there, not MASK it. Most K70x owners that love it, pair it up with amps that alter their sound significantly. How is that a real K70x?

That sound signature is just...ugh. It does lend itself well for analytical gaming though.

Underrated - KSC75. No amount of praise is enough for this budget marvel. Get it. GET IT NOW.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #176 of 1,490
Grado Sr225i. I bought these because I was having a nostalgic moment from my Sr80is I loved/hated. I already had the Ad900, but figured the 225i would suit other music better. Not only were the 225i very boring sounding they just didn't compare to my Ad900 in any way. I would like to possibly try higher end Grado's at some point but the 225i really turned me off.

Re0. I can not gripe about these enough, cold analytical sound made any music I threw at it highly boring.The comfort is absolutely terrible for headphones in the price range as well. For the price there are definitely "better" options.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #177 of 1,490
Take two.

Overrated - M50. Have owned it and recommend it in some instances, but not the pinnacle as others would have you believe.

Underrated - MS-1i. A lot of fun and great bang for buck. Punchy bass and energetic presentation.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #179 of 1,490
IMO form the ones I own or have listened to the most overrated and overpriced are the Edition 10.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back