Most overrated headphones?
Oct 16, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #151 of 1,490

Quote:
Ummm, it's usually the music that bores me, and not the sound signature of a pair of headphones. 
blink.gif

Not when the same music and source sounds different on different phones. 
blink.gif
blink.gif
  Tried listening to Rush on the HD555s, uh yeah....whatever.  Yawn.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #152 of 1,490
Quote:
Were the HD600s were properly amped? I havent seen anything like that in my workplace.

We were comparing phones from behind the same uDac-2 behind the same external sound card. If I remember correctly the Denon D2000, D5000, Senn HD5x5, HD600, and a pair of Grados were involved. Best Monday ever. Anyways for me it was Denon  > Grados > Sennheisers. However, I wouldn't mind having a pair of HD600 as I still enjoyed them. However, I would consider 100$ on a pair of HD555 a waste. 

Quote:
Ummm, it's usually the music that bores me, and not the sound signature of a pair of headphones. 
blink.gif

The presentation of the music effects how enjoyable it is. After hearing a song (especially rap, hip hop, or any bass heavy rock) on the Denon 5000s the song was no longer as enjoyable on the Sennheisers.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #153 of 1,490
Sennheiser HD650... Was very dark and muddy sounding. Tried them with the exact same amp I have in use at this very moment and I would never ever buy them after hearing my Audio-Technica´s.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #154 of 1,490

Quote:
Sennheiser HD650... Was very dark and muddy sounding. Tried them with the exact same amp I have in use at this very moment and I would never ever buy them after hearing my Audio-Technica´s.

x2 Totaly Agree.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #155 of 1,490

uDac-2 isn't enough to power the HD-600 decently. A full sized amp is really needed. Not a $100 amp.
They may seem like they're being powered well, but they're really not. Hardly a fair comparison.

Quote:
We were comparing phones from behind the same uDac-2 behind the same external sound card. If I remember correctly the Denon D2000, D5000, Senn HD5x5, HD600, and a pair of Grados were involved. Best Monday ever. Anyways for me it was Denon  > Grados > Sennheisers. However, I wouldn't mind having a pair of HD600 as I still enjoyed them. However, I would consider 100$ on a pair of HD555 a waste. 

The presentation of the music effects how enjoyable it is. After hearing a song (especially rap, hip hop, or any bass heavy rock) on the Denon 5000s the song was no longer as enjoyable on the Sennheisers.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #156 of 1,490

Quote:
Basicly you guys rooted out almost every single conceivable buyable headphones...
This makes me doubt what people should even purchase if everything from AKG to Sennheiser are considered "overrated"

My guess is that the SQ at a certain price point for headphones made by brands like Senn, Grado, AT, etc, which are known for their SQ, are probably very similar, and people just think they sound better or worse because of their sound sigs. If that is not the case, opinions are so varied that one will never know unless one buys everything him/herself.

BTW I don't think just trying a headphone is good enough to make a judgment. I think one must own the headphones and spend a long time listening to them. Esp. if your used to a different sound sig. If I ever get rich I might be inclined to buy all sorts of headphones just to try them out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just thought I'd put that out there, I already said something like this on page 5, but I thought I would elaborate.

I love my Sennheisers to death. . .
dt880smile.png

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #157 of 1,490

Quote:

Also because they have excellent highs, very accurate audio reproduction, detail, a fun sound, and an affordable price. 

They are not accurate imo. Highs are alright but the problem with the M50 is that the bass is overly prominent for peoplae who aren't bassheads and the midrange is somewhat recessed.  Soundstage is also weak, even for a closed model.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #158 of 1,490

Quote:
They are not accurate imo. Highs are alright but the problem with the M50 is that the bass is overly prominent for peoplae who aren't bassheads and the midrange is somewhat recessed.  Soundstage is also weak, even for a closed model.

M50 are definitely overrated. I returned them for a full refund from the Guitar center. Mine comes in White box version. I'd rather keep my JVC HARX 700 which is only $38.00 at Newegg. I actually ordered 2 HARX 700to keep one as spare.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #159 of 1,490

Quote:
Basicly you guys rooted out almost every single conceivable buyable headphones...
This makes me doubt what people should even purchase if everything from AKG to Sennheiser are considered "overrated"

There is a simple solution: Go back to speakers but then Martin Logan could be condemned as overrated and so is Sonus Faber...etc...

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #160 of 1,490
Gave up speaker experience when I had to move to an apt. Now I'm trying to find decent headphones so I can listen at decent levels. I think the TMA-1's are overrated after I read the reviews here and tried a pair.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #161 of 1,490
In my circle of friends the Aiaiai TMA-1 is terribly overrated. I will have to qualify the statement a little:
My friends are graphic designers, techno music lovers, clothing designers and the like. They are attracted to the brand as it is local (Danish). They love the fact the product is tested by some of coolest dj's and record producers in Denmark and internationally. They love the design and packaging.

The problem I have with the headphone is the very peculiar sound sound signature. Extremely dark, very analytical in nature and severely dampened highs. They excel at minimal techno, but most other music sounds dull and muffled through these cans. After using them for a week now they Have opened up some and I have found OK eq settings to compensate for their weaknesses. It just still isn't good enough considering they cost 1400dkr.

What they do they do insanely well:
Minimal techno, bass, design. 

They just don't do anything else.

Will I keep mine? Yeah they are handy for traveling, I am vain and they look great, and I got such an insane deal on them I got value for money. Had I paid 1400Dkk/260usd I would have been disappointed.
Now most of my friends have them (at full retail asking price). It goes to show most buy their cans by looks, not sound quality.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #162 of 1,490

Quote:
Gave up speaker experience when I had to move to an apt. Now I'm trying to find decent headphones so I can listen at decent levels. I think the TMA-1's are overrated after I read the reviews here and tried a pair.

I have an old but mint condition Mirage FRX7 and by setting them within 6 feet apart when I am laying on the carpet or sitting abt couple feet away from them, at moderated volume, I really like the HPs effect without having to wear any cans.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #163 of 1,490
Very dark and muddy sounding?... Which amp(s) was that by the way? With my Burson they're nothing of the sort.

Quote:

Quote:
x2 Totaly Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back