Most overrated headphones?
May 29, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,261 of 1,490
I'm a bit disappointed people in this thread dislike the Utopia so much. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty much sold on Focal's higher ends because of the Elear. It didn't wow me at first either but after trying with all my preferred music and an amp, it's not going anywhere. Plus Utopias can be found around $3K from authorized dealers if you're willing to accept open box or wait for sales authorized by Focal. One even sold for less than that, so you actually don't have to pay $4K if you're patient.
I like Utopia's sound, look, and build quality. Those French have good taste. Really overpriced at $4k, but Focal is an established brand.

My biggest gripe with Focal is their replacement parts prices. Have you checked how much those cost? Now compare them with Sennheiser.

May 29, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,262 of 1,490
I like Utopia's sound, look, and build quality. Those French have good taste. Really overpriced at $4k, but Focal is an established brand.

My biggest gripe with Focal is their replacement parts prices. Have you checked how much those cost? Now compare them with Sennheiser.

Which is why I would be more inclined to buy them at the $3K range than $4K. I can't confirm they're "overpriced", but their official authorized sale price makes me wonder. They should just simply sell from now on at $3K IMO. Not that Focal's going to listen to me but I bet a lot more people jumped on them when they were $3K. That isn't cheap either but more people would take a chance on them IMO.
I've been looking at the Clear more though, because they put value into that with a hard case and portable as well as home listening cables included. Certainly an improvement in value over the Utopia, which includes no extras at a far higher price. BTW, Elear seems permanently reduced to $800 so reductions can happen with Focal apparently.

As for replacement parts, I don't like the prices but what else can you do if you want authentic parts?

My biggest gripe though, is their warranty for the higher priced sets. There seems to be a dispute over whether you can transfer or not to a second owner. Sometimes they repair under warranty anyway if you buy used from an authorized dealer, but may not with private sales. There are several discussions about this in the Utopia thread, and the readers are tired of hearing about it, LOL. I think it makes it harder to sell your high priced set if there's a first person only warranty. Maybe if you trade into a dealer but then you're probably going to put the trade in value towards another set. But if you just want cash outright then you have to admit to the buyer that they may be on their own if repairs are needed. Some people don't care but others will.

May 29, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,263 of 1,490
I'm a bit disappointed people in this thread dislike the Utopia so much. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty much sold on Focal's higher ends because of the Elear. It didn't wow me at first either but after trying with all my preferred music and an amp, it's not going anywhere. Plus Utopias can be found around $3K from authorized dealers if you're willing to accept open box or wait for sales authorized by Focal. One even sold for less than that, so you actually don't have to pay $4K if you're patient.

Probably The Clear will be my next purchase. Only because I really do believe the reviews, and I think it took a couple of headphones to get it right for Focal. Also I like the price. It’s hard after a point to pay very much more than they ask for The Clear, for any headphone.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,264 of 1,490
Probably The Clear will be my next purchase. Only because I really do believe the reviews, and I think it took a couple of headphones to get it right for Focal. Also I like the price. It’s hard after a point to pay very much more than they ask for The Clear, for any headphone.

Clear is a great deal for sure! You have all you need unless you really want to buy extra cables and another case anyway.

I would still try the Utopia because it's really a different headphone than Clear and Elear. Lemo connectors and beryllium drivers. Tuned differently also, by what people say. People who swore by the Clear swooned over the Utopia. Not in this thread obviously though, LOL. I guess you have to like the Focal sound. I wouldn't go so far as to say overrated though. Maybe overpriced but Focal has offered authorized promos and discounts so maybe they hear what people are saying after all. Audeze has also lowered some prices so maybe all is not lost.

May 29, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,265 of 1,490
Clear is a great deal for sure! You have all you need unless you really want to buy extra cables and another case anyway.

I would still try the Utopia because it's really a different headphone than Clear and Elear. Lemo connectors and beryllium drivers. Tuned differently also, by what people say. People who swore by the Clear swooned over the Utopia. Not in this thread obviously though, LOL. I guess you have to like the Focal sound. I wouldn't go so far as to say overrated though. Maybe overpriced but Focal has offered authorized promos and discounts so maybe they hear what people are saying after all. Audeze has also lowered some prices so maybe all is not lost.

Group consensus is strong, thus here we have the group back-lash. It’s all good, and yes, my headphone place has my amp to try the Utopia.

Probably the most important concepts suggested here is to try and believe your own ears. To avoid the hype brigade. Looking back there is so much stuff I’m glad I didn’t buy. And it’s strange the ineptness that goes along with past popular equipment?

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #1,266 of 1,490
I personally think any headphone from senn is over rated and hyped. I tried the 600, 650, 660S, 800 and 800S and theyre just not worth it at all.
I think people think theyre good because of the price figure and "sacrifice sennheiser makes in build quality to be able to afford making a headphone driver of such quality". Its marketing bs. I avoid sennheiser like the plague now that ive had the opportunity to sample most of its high end range with my own sources and equipment. And even equipment far superior than my own.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,267 of 1,490
I see Guinness as the "Beats" of beers.

I personally think any headphone from senn is over rated and hyped. I tried the 600, 650, 660S, 800 and 800S and theyre just not worth it at all.
I think people think theyre good because of the price figure and "sacrifice sennheiser makes in build quality to be able to afford making a headphone driver of such quality". Its marketing bs. I avoid sennheiser like the plague now that ive had the opportunity to sample most of its high end range with my own sources and equipment. And even equipment far superior than my own.

BLASPHEMY! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,268 of 1,490
Nonsense! Its only apply when using poor gear.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,269 of 1,490
Perhaps you haven't heard the Sennheisers on a proper setup. Certain ones do sound much better when source is driving it well. That maybe the difference from some other types of headphones which maybe more consistant, and it's easier to write off the Sennheisers due to this.

If you run into somebody with a good high-end setup, you should see if the headphone sounds improved.

IMO Sennheisers figured out the proper mid-range with the dynamics.

Some of them, the price alone is unbeatable is one reason for their explosion. And Massdrop.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,270 of 1,490
Yeah I've heard countless headphones. It helped years ago I lived close to jude so had a chance at a few meets to play with lots of gear. Stax 009, Orpheus, etc to name a few.

The HD600 model I think is the biggest "bang for your buck" headphone and why I keep one in my arsenal. Personally I feel it's better than the HD650 but that's a topic of different discussion. I can certainly make the HD600 sound mediocre at best. It really depends on what gear you use.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,271 of 1,490
Yeah I've heard countless headphones. It helped years ago I lived close to jude so had a chance at a few meets to play with lots of gear. Stax 009, Orpheus, etc to name a few.

The HD600 model I think is the biggest "bang for your buck" headphone and why I keep one in my arsenal. Personally I feel it's better than the HD650 but that's a topic of different discussion. I can certainly make the HD600 sound mediocre at best. It really depends on what gear you use.
If it only had enough sub bass. Or could produce it with EQ.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,272 of 1,490
Perhaps you haven't heard the Sennheisers on a proper setup. Certain ones do sound much better when source is driving it well. That maybe the difference from some other types of headphones which maybe more consistant, and it's easier to write off the Sennheisers due to this.

If you run into somebody with a good high-end setup, you should see if the headphone sounds improved.

IMO Sennheisers figured out the proper mid-range with the dynamics.

Some of them, the price alone is unbeatable is one reason for their explosion. And Massdrop.

I personally disagree. I've heard the Sennheisers on top of the line gear numerous times and never thought they quite lived up to their reputation, I get why some people will love their sound, but I personally found the DT 880 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm to be better than any of the HD 6xx line on summit-fi gear. To my ears a properly driven and/or corrected Beyer sounds more natural. The Sennheiser sound doesn't agree with everyone.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,273 of 1,490
I personally disagree. I've heard the Sennheisers on top of the line gear numerous times and never thought they quite lived up to their reputation, I get why some people will love their sound, but I personally found the DT 880 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm to be better than any of the HD 6xx line on summit-fi gear. To my ears a properly driven and/or corrected Beyer sounds more natural. The Sennheiser sound doesn't agree with everyone.
Usually the caviats that are stated are in regards to Bayers is generally being bright sounding, but not all hear it that way as you point out. Not everybody can agree with everything here due to the variables involved. We can say it's down to preference as usual, but if this was the only info we get, it doesn't provide a relative baseline. So, the point of making remarks is providing context that people can understand and statistical (which is the best we can go by other than hearing out various combinations).

Obviously, I'm bias as you based on what we heard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,274 of 1,490
If it only had enough sub bass. Or could produce it with EQ.

With regards to the bass on these headphones...

1.) I mostly use my PC with my DAC/AMP and run PEACE EQ software. I give it about a 4dB gain at 100Hz and a 7dB gain at 35Hz. They thump pretty good. I have a pair of Fostex TH900 if I want bass and the HD600 with those bumps in the EQ sounds rather punchy and clean. Not punchy and muddy (as if you gave it too much bass).

2.) Give them gobs of power. I plug them into my Anthem receiver and at -40dB on the receiver they're loud. At -35dB it's borderline deafening. I could probably blow the drivers on the HD600 in that receiver. No EQ just straight driven they pound on the bass really good.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,275 of 1,490
Usually the caviats that are stated are in regards to Bayers is generally being bright sounding, but not all hear it that way as you point out. Not everybody can agree with everything here due to the variables involved.

Many Beyers do have a tuning that emphasizes brightness in the mid-upper treble and I think it causes people to dismiss them as a whole. The brightness on the bright models can be fixed, Beyers to me are the best bang for the buck. Of course not everyone will agree as the journey differs for everyone plus differences in preferences and hearing; but my experience over the years listening to countless headphones and systems, and also experimenting with modding led me to my opinion on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back